alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 150117 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
Pics when done?  I will be putting up pics when I'm finally done with mine for a second time...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
A.O. Using a fungicide for blue stain. If I skip this step [spring and summer] the boards will be hard to sell and embarrassing to show. Traditional pine sawing season is October to march. Once it gets around 50 degrees pine can blue or worse.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
A.O. Using a fungicide for blue stain. If I skip this step [spring and summer] the boards will be hard to sell and embarrassing to show. Traditional pine sawing season is October to march. Once it gets around 50 degrees pine can blue or worse.

I cut pine all year, never had any blueing.. But I don't try to sell it either..

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2019, 06:25:24 AM »
I am hoping one of these days to actually do a writeup on the complete build process and put it on my website.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2019, 06:38:40 AM »
I am hoping one of these days to actually do a writeup on the complete build process and put it on my website.

So is this a new build or a rebuild to an existing mill?

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
A.O. You are in South Carolina, cut pine, and don't know about the blue stain, that's impossible. It is a fungus that stain pine logs and lumber, more so in the south than north. It can turn the cut lumber black. There must be a different term for it in your area.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2019, 07:14:24 AM »
I started building a mill about a year ago. As I neared the end of the build I got in a hurry and was just slapping shit together. I forced myself to stop and just used it for a while. Now I finally had time to fix what I halfassed. So that is what I am doing now. I have a build thread on that other forum. But really do want to write a build article and put it on my website. Just need to dedicate some time to do it.

Still want to build a cantilever head mill as my V2.0. But right now this one will do. Since I am tight on money with 2 kids in daycare I am thinking about cutting up my pile of logs then listing this one for sale and building V2.0.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »
A.O. You are in South Carolina, cut pine, and don't know about the blue stain, that's impossible. It is a fungus that stain pine logs and lumber, more so in the south than north. It can turn the cut lumber black. There must be a different term for it in your area.

Name notwithstanding my pine just doesn't seem to change color, I may get a light streak on occasion but that's about it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:13 AM »
I started building a mill about a year ago. As I neared the end of the build I got in a hurry and was just slapping shit together. I forced myself to stop and just used it for a while. Now I finally had time to fix what I halfassed. So that is what I am doing now. I have a build thread on that other forum. But really do want to write a build article and put it on my website. Just need to dedicate some time to do it.

Still want to build a cantilever head mill as my V2.0. But right now this one will do. Since I am tight on money with 2 kids in daycare I am thinking about cutting up my pile of logs then listing this one for sale and building V2.0.

Two kids in daycare... AHHHHHHHHH.. been there done that, about 27 years ago. :D

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
yup. 24k a year. :( good news is the 4 year old is almost out. That should free up a little bit of money.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
yup. 24k a year. :( good news is the 4 year old is almost out. That should free up a little bit of money.

YEOWZA!!  Its gone up a lot since I did it!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
the only thing that makes it ok is its not a typical dump and run daycare. it is at RIT and is run like a school so they have set curriculum and schedules along with food.

So as much as I hate to pay for it at least they are learning and don't have the typical alcoholic sitting in the corner screaming at the kids that I have come to expect of most daycares in my area.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
A.O. from what I understand, with all pine, in the south they either dip or fan shed fresh cut lumber. Because my operation is small I don't do either. Yellow pine stains worse than our native white. You must be doing something right.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »
the only thing that makes it ok is its not a typical dump and run daycare. it is at RIT and is run like a school so they have set curriculum and schedules along with food.

So as much as I hate to pay for it at least they are learning and don't have the typical alcoholic sitting in the corner screaming at the kids that I have come to expect of most daycares in my area.

Right now my wife is the Chief Operations Officer for the largest Boys and Girls club in the state, that's the way they do it also, in fact most of them are set up in schools.

Yeah, we went through a few not-so-good ones back in the day!!!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
A.O. from what I understand, with all pine, in the south they either dip or fan shed fresh cut lumber. Because my operation is small I don't do either. Yellow pine stains worse than our native white. You must be doing something right.

Talk about small, my "operation" is me in the back yard with my little manual saw mill. The reason I don't have problems with it is because I really don't know what I'm doing. Now that I've heard about this blue thing I'm sure it will ALL turn blue! …..  Thanks, thanks a lot!!   :o ;D

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
That's how I started and still am a backyard mill but bursting at the seams. I ruined pine years ago and still do sometimes. Up here it is a beautiful thing to get fresh cut pine [ or any wood] in cold weather and saw and stick it long before April. The lumber well be flatter, cleaner and less checking.  Winter is the time to saw and I cram in as much sawing as I can do. Come warm weather I slow down but must stay ahead of spoilage.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »
Destroyed two bands today. I got to find a way to hold small odd shaped chunks of logs...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2019, 07:07:03 PM »
Wrap a chain around it.

Kidding!......kidding...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2019, 06:13:13 AM »
KB, when you figure it out let me know. my cookie / shorts clamp was a failure so I cannibalized it for other stuff.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
Wrap a chain around it.

Kidding!......kidding...
                          On the old up and down sawmills they dogged the log at the end and stopped just before the saw hit the iron dog. Each board was broken off the end of the log. So go ahead and chain it down.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
Thanks... After all that work and uploading a picture that I can't see.
I got to say it's just not worth it. Thanks anyway...

We have to figure something out. I am not a tech guy, and I picked the simple path for myself, using the free Xat download, and compress and resize pictures. I have not posted any in a while, but you might try it....you can crop and compress until you get a picture where it loads.....meanwhile, I will ask Kirk if we have some sort of change we can make to the forum to allow larger pictures?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »
File size increased to 150,000 bytes.  If the steps are followed for uploading pics there should be no problems.  I know some have had a tough time figuring it out but unfortunately, I don't have any simpler solutions than following each step and it will work. I increased the size limit but again, that should not be an issue if steps are being followed.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
If this hillbilly can get pics up I think anyone should be able to.  I just didn't think about what I was doing or why or how - I simply blindly followed the step by step procedure put up by furu (I think) and presto! the pics were up and looked decent.

Just trying to coax the coals into a fire...pics are cool...

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »
Destroyed two bands today. I got to find a way to hold small odd shaped chunks of logs...

I've had some luck using a porta power pushing from the inside of rail to the small log but still not real good holding capacity
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #349 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
How about lag bolt to a longer plank. Aluminum lags would be nice.