alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 149955 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
Destroyed two bands today. I got to find a way to hold small odd shaped chunks of logs...

So I've done all of one stump to cut some "cookies" off it. I turned it over, screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom then clamped the plywood to my bed and cut it that way.. not great but it worked.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
Hey...whatever works...if it looks stupid but works then it ain't stupid!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
4x2's baby, 12 foot 4x2's... needed some more to build a couple more firewood racks!

PICTURES DELETED DUE TO PHOTO BUCKETS NEW POLCIES

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:19:31 AM by A.O. »

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #353 on: May 13, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
So I'm needing some 1x's for some siding I need to finish the inside of one of my buildings so back at my SYP
PICTURES DELETED DUE TO PHOTO BUCKETS NEW POLCIES

Got my cant, keeping it square..
And done, for today anyway..

And if you have a look here Richard, thanks for the tip on the drywall knife, much superior than the broom I've been using!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:20:19 AM by A.O. »

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
That's a nice stacking job, seldom see it done right. I stacked cedar most of the day in the rain. At least I had dry sticks but not the best doing wet wood. I had 8 planks; 2x14 to 20, wane edge, 17' long sound, the rest 8 and 10 ' about 1000 bd. ft. I only saw cedar 1 or 2 days a year. One year I had 7000, half erc. and the other half Atlantic. Sometimes a little n. white or dawn redwood sneaks in. Cedar is fun compared to the locust I saw all the time.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »
That's a nice stacking job, seldom see it done right. I stacked cedar most of the day in the rain. At least I had dry sticks but not the best doing wet wood. I had 8 planks; 2x14 to 20, wane edge, 17' long sound, the rest 8 and 10 ' about 1000 bd. ft. I only saw cedar 1 or 2 days a year. One year I had 7000, half erc. and the other half Atlantic. Sometimes a little n. white or dawn redwood sneaks in. Cedar is fun compared to the locust I saw all the time.

Thanks.. I have the time to do it, I just cut for me so there's no rush.. And I only have to cut on nice days..

I probably saw about 95% loblolly pine, you can see them in the background in those pics.. Its what I have so its what I saw.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #356 on: May 14, 2019, 05:04:12 AM »

.... thanks for the tip on the drywall knife, much superior than the broom I've been using!

No Problem !!   ;)
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #357 on: May 14, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
Wouldn't know a loblolly pine if I sawed one. In my area we are heavy to clay soil and pine poor so people want pine.  What I get [in pine] is tree service junk that I hate : open grown, crooked,  wind cracked, knots sticking out all over and poorly felled and bucked. Some times it comes from a plantation and is much better grown but so poorly handled. The guy with the picker truck likes to puncture every log on 4 sides because of the hard wood mentally , if any. I once had a professional logger and I mean the absolute best and he spoiled me. Lime disease ruined him and they are not making real loggers anymore. Sawmilling is interesting because every  time you go over another hill they do it different.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #358 on: May 14, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
Wouldn't know a loblolly pine if I sawed one. In my area we are heavy to clay soil and pine poor so people want pine.  What I get [in pine] is tree service junk that I hate : open grown, crooked,  wind cracked, knots sticking out all over and poorly felled and bucked. Some times it comes from a plantation and is much better grown but so poorly handled. The guy with the picker truck likes to puncture every log on 4 sides because of the hard wood mentally , if any. I once had a professional logger and I mean the absolute best and he spoiled me. Lime disease ruined him and they are not making real loggers anymore. Sawmilling is interesting because every  time you go over another hill they do it different.

Loblolly pine is one in the group of Southern Yellow pine, It grows straight, sheds its lower branches, so lots of time you can get clear or almost clear wood out of it.. great for construction lumber. It is everywhere here in South Carolina and the rest of the south east, planted as a crop and grown that way also. Plantation style as you referred to it. All of it that I get, I have cut down and moved so it is treated well. I've a hundred acres here of which probably 75% is loblolly pine forest.. a lifetime supply and then some

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:20:41 AM by A.O. »

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #359 on: May 14, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »

And if you have a look here Richard, thanks for the tip on the drywall knife, much superior than the broom I've been using!

Curiosity rises.  Is this tip for sawdust removal off the boards or is it for something else?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #360 on: May 14, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
Curiosity rises.  Is this tip for sawdust removal off the boards or is it for something else?

Yes indeed, as I take boards off the mill I've been using a stiff little broom to get the excess sawdust off, he said to try a 12" drywall knife.. what a better way to do that job!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
Yep, the drywall scraper is the best and fastest way to get rid of sawdust off your boards.

Sawdust is where the mold likes to start, so it's worth it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
A.O., A good description of your L. pine, thanks. I respect that you know your natural resources as many have no interest in there surroundings . From the late 1920's to about 1950 red pine was planted on abandoned hay fields. Those plantings where a mistake as red pine [aka Norway]  grows very slow here. Much of it was never thinned. Now most of these lots have gone to development and the r. pine to the chipper but sometimes it would come to me. Very easy to handle and saw, a treat after fighting junk spruce and  gnarly hardwood. We technically have Virginia and short leaf pine here but it is rare. The good part is that a lot of the crazy stuff is more valuable than pine but you tend to appreciate what you don't have.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »
Yep, the drywall scraper is the best and fastest way to get rid of sawdust off your boards.

I did try the drywall scraper and found although it did a quick job of removing most of the sawdust, it didn't get it all and did not touch some areas with decay.  At home I use an air gun with my compressor, that really removes the dust, and fast.  On the road, a 12" bench brush is still what I use.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2019, 07:41:39 AM »
A.O., A good description of your L. pine, thanks. I respect that you know your natural resources as many have no interest in there surroundings . From the late 1920's to about 1950 red pine was planted on abandoned hay fields. Those plantings where a mistake as red pine [aka Norway]  grows very slow here. Much of it was never thinned. Now most of these lots have gone to development and the r. pine to the chipper but sometimes it would come to me. Very easy to handle and saw, a treat after fighting junk spruce and  gnarly hardwood. We technically have Virginia and short leaf pine here but it is rare. The good part is that a lot of the crazy stuff is more valuable than pine but you tend to appreciate what you don't have.

Back in, I believe 1984 (I wasn't here yet) Hurricane Hugo came through spawning a bunch of tornadoes, this place was mostly hardwoods at the time but it was laid to waste. So it was cleaned up and the loblolly was planted. As told to me by the previous owners son.
So the only hardwoods I have are up by the house, along a riparian corridor , and down in the bottoms by the river. Kind of hard to get some of that stuff out of where it is located so my hardwoods I do cut are pretty much reserved to firewood. Yes if there is a nice log I'll put it on the mill, but mostly firewood.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »
So yesterday I milled up some smaller scrubby loblolly logs, turned them into more materials for making skids and a table to cut branches and stuff into firewood so I don't have to work on or near the ground all the time to do it.
So its building day today..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2019, 12:05:03 PM »
Ok, so not really at my sawmill, but in my saw yard just past the mill...

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
wheres the marshmallows?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »
wheres the marshmallows?

you were supposed to bring them, where were you?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »
Currently I am in somerset PA. Am I getting closer?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
Currently I am in somerset PA. Am I getting closer?

Maybe, I don't know where you were before..

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #371 on: May 28, 2019, 05:53:26 AM »
canadice ny

Now I am in clifton springs ny.

later today will be in phelps ny.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
canadice ny

Now I am in clifton springs ny.

later today will be in phelps ny.

Now I'm in Kershaw SC

Later today I'll be in well.... Kershaw SC >:D

And yes PA would be closer I think!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #373 on: May 28, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
My weekend was busy playing catch up and cutting some power poles.  Douglas Fir and Eastern Red Cedar.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #374 on: May 29, 2019, 06:28:59 AM »
Nice couple videos, and some nice lumber.. those aluminum bug treatment deals don't mess up your bands?