alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 150030 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #375 on: May 29, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
Nope.  They are thinner than a pop can.  You don't even know you hit them.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #376 on: May 29, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
It sure is amazing how good the lumber can look out of those old poles.  We had some guys around here doing that with a Turner Mills mill a while back.  Similar results.

Are you taking any steps to make sure there's no hardware left in them?  Like a metal detector or something?

What is the HP rating on that Kohler twin?

Thanks for sharing the videos - good stuff.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #377 on: May 29, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Customer Owned and he swears they are clean.  If not, he pays for blades!  So far so good.............but now with that said I will probably hit hardware in the next 10 I cut!   :o

Kohler is 25hp
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #378 on: May 29, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
Sawyers should be aware that power poles treated with creosote are considered hazardous waste by the EPA and have restrictive guidelines for the handling and disposal of waste products, including the sawdust.  It is also a health hazard,
"Short-term exposure to creosote can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation; longer-term exposure may cause organ damage or cancer. …" according to the MSDS for those products.

I generally make a practice of not milling power poles, although I have milled certain ones where they were western red cedar and the creosote soaked butts were removed before the poles were transported to my mill.  The aluminum insect treatment tubes don't cause any problems for the blade, they are slightly thicker than aluminum foil, but I would still recommend gloves and dust masks.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »
Yeah, and kaliforniastan banned plastic straws.. ;D
I've been stocking up!! >:D

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
NY banned plastic bags.  I'm not stocking up.  Have bags for days....
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
I really wish these idiots would stop banning niceties and start going after the assholes that are littering causing the bans.

How bout this $2500 fine for littering. 10% of that goes to the person who turned them in.

That might help curb it.

Just like guns. just keep banning them that will make the criminals turn them in so they can be law abiding citizens.

I hate ppl!

[end rant] :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »
I really wish these idiots would stop banning niceties and start going after the assholes that are littering causing the bans.

How bout this $2500 fine for littering. 10% of that goes to the person who turned them in.

That might help curb it.

Just like guns. just keep banning them that will make the criminals turn them in so they can be law abiding citizens.

I hate ppl!

[end rant] :)

Agreed.. I have about 3700 feet of road frontage, about once a month I have to take a day (today) and pick up all the worthless garbage strewn long the road by worthless garbage! I've gotten as much as 8 garbage bags full!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #383 on: May 30, 2019, 05:57:57 AM »
That sux. it really angers me to.

Might as well add the ppl on government assistance to the list. They should never get a free paycheck. There are millions of miles of roads in this country that are plastered with garbage. make them pick up the garbage if they want their money.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #384 on: May 30, 2019, 06:24:24 AM »
That sux. it really angers me to.

Might as well add the ppl on government assistance to the list. They should never get a free paycheck. There are millions of miles of roads in this country that are plastered with garbage. make them pick up the garbage if they want their money.

Yeah, make em pick up garbage , pass a drug test , and speak English!!

Oh yeah, make sure they are legal, if not... REPORT and DEPORT!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:55:45 PM by A.O. »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
I totally agree with both of you.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
All my life I have had road frontage to clean up. The NYS DOT here throw the dead deer in onto private property and guess who burys them in warm weather? The power co. trims the trees on 3 sides of me and leaves the brush, the only cure for this problem is to allow nothing to grow so they don't come back. The cleanest people are slobs when driving there cars but guess who they call dirty?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
The only answer to all of that:  People SUCK.  Most of 'em.  Most all of 'em...

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
All my life I have had road frontage to clean up. The NYS DOT here throw the dead deer in onto private property and guess who burys them in warm weather? The power co. trims the trees on 3 sides of me and leaves the brush, the only cure for this problem is to allow nothing to grow so they don't come back. The cleanest people are slobs when driving there cars but guess who they call dirty?

Well... I'd just toss those deer back out in the road, but that's how I am!!

Years ago one of my neighbors did a great job of clearing their side of the fence, nice and wide so they could drive it with a tractor or 4 wheeler or something... Problem was they threw all the brush over the fence onto my side!! Took me 3 weeks to throw it all back over the fence and block up all the nice work they did!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:04:39 AM by A.O. »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
See?  People suck.  How arrogant, self serving and selfish the brush throwing behavior was.  I personally wouldn't have thrown the brush back, but contacted the owner personally, in person, face to face, and ask politely but firmly "Why did you throw all your scrub brush over onto my property?  It needs to be cleared out and I'm not picking up after you.  Why'd you think it was ok to do that?" 

What happened after you threw it back?

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »
See?  People suck.  How arrogant, self serving and selfish the brush throwing behavior was.  I personally wouldn't have thrown the brush back, but contacted the owner personally, in person, face to face, and ask politely but firmly "Why did you throw all your scrub brush over onto my property?  It needs to be cleared out and I'm not picking up after you.  Why'd you think it was ok to do that?" 

What happened after you threw it back?

They never moved it and I never heard from them...

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
Well back on topic. I am about to head out to the shop and start tearing the mill apart for paint. and to finish some welds that are still just tacks.

Hopefully I can have a very productive day and get it all torn down and maybe 1 coat on all the surfaces the parts are not sitting on. If I am lucky I will get the full carriage primed this weekend and it will have a week to cure before color goes on it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
Well back on topic. I am about to head out to the shop and start tearing the mill apart for paint. and to finish some welds that are still just tacks.

Hopefully I can have a very productive day and get it all torn down and maybe 1 coat on all the surfaces the parts are not sitting on. If I am lucky I will get the full carriage primed this weekend and it will have a week to cure before color goes on it.

Cool, pics will be expected!;-)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
Been hot here, high 90s so haven't been out to the mill lately. BUT... Richard, Cutting edge on here, got me a couple 4 degree blades to try,
so hot or not I'll be firing up my saw next week. Got a stack of oak and hickory to try them out on, and I'll probably have to drop a couple loblolly's also.

Thanks Richard

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »
well that was not at all what I expected to get done today. I went out to the shop, managed to get it cleaned up enough to start thinking about teardown and paint. Then the wife came out and we started talking about the garden and when we want to plant since we haven't yet. so I got the tractor out with the box blade put the ripper teeth all the way down then drug it through the garden to get all of last years weeds out. Then decided to take care of the mess of a flower garden at the house, then after that started wondering about tilling and planting.

So I ran the box blade through the garden. tilled the garden. fixed the flower bed cleaned the shop and spent some time fishing in the pond with wife and kids.

I got a ton of stuff done I wasn't even planning on doing. the finishing move for the day was to take both kids for a ride on the tractor. I hope tomorrow can be this good.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #395 on: June 03, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
Well, here is progress so far.

woh, really big picture.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #396 on: June 03, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
Well, here is progress so far.

woh, really big picture.

Picture?? I don't see no steenkin picture!
 :(

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2019, 06:05:12 AM »
crap. must have posted it in members only area on my forum? Please hold.

well. NM I need to setup a gallery on my forum so I have easier access to posting photos. I will get finished photos up here not just primer photos.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #398 on: June 06, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »
Today at the mill I had a BIG snapper climb up out of the creek bank and he/she started digging holes in my saw dust pile. She looked kinda funny with an ax sticking out of her back... I thing she was getting ready to lay eggs. Not on my land....
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #399 on: June 06, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »
Today at the mill I had a BIG snapper climb up out of the creek bank and he/she started digging holes in my saw dust pile. She looked kinda funny with an ax sticking out of her back... I thing she was getting ready to lay eggs. Not on my land....

What did it ever do to you?