alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hydraulic dogs  (Read 20465 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
Hydraulic dogs
« on: February 20, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
Wanted: Hydraulic dogs for lane style sawmill or what have you?  Even just one assembly or plans, thanks ,Moodnacreek

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Hydraulic dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:34:15 AM »
Aren't many of them air cylinders?  Or is this just for the more modern high capacity mills?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »
Yes, air dogs are common but you need to run a compressor and have freeze protection. I already have 2 hyd. systems running. Maybe I could covert an air dog set up?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Hmm.  That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure the seals inside would like being in oil full time, even though pneumatic systems like that typically have oil injection somehow.  Plus I'm sure you'd have to dial the hyd. pressure way down to not blow things apart.  But I don't see why with a possible seal upgrade and keeping careful eye on pressures it wouldn't work.  Likely be a bit cheaper, no?  More common I would think, just because air is speedy and time is money...
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 06:40:46 AM »
Surplus center and others have hyd. cylinders down to 1" bore . If I ever get a plan that's what I would [think] use for the dog spike and the taper.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »
I just had to buy some hydraulic cylinders for my mill upgrades and found the best prices on Amazon of all places.  Significantly cheaper too!  Surplus Center has decent prices but the shipping kills you.  The cylinders on Amazon seemed to meet or beat SC's prices but had shipping included!  I don't know how they made much money to be honest with you.  They're not cheesy cylinders either.  Check it out, I think you'll be pleased.