alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: JET TRADE!!  (Read 34050 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
JET TRADE!!
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
So I've been wanting a shaper and been cruising craigslist for a month or two. Just needed a smaller one, got some raised panel cabinet doors to make, some tongue and groove to do and possibly a front door, among other projects.

Anyway.. While looking, I find a new add of a guy looking to sell or trade a JET JWS-22CS  shaper, after some negotiations I traded him my JET JWBS 12" bandsaw. Even up! I'm thinking his machine was worth more but mine was in better shape. He was wanting a bandsaw, and I was wanting a shaper.. I am pleased.
Now I need to go through the shaper and track down some missing parts, a guard, a couple knobs, and the collets to use router bits. No bits came with it so I need to get some of those too so I can try this little guy out.

Any words of wisdom concerning a shaper? I've used a router table for years so I'm guessing its about the same. I do see shapers run forward or backwards (spindle rotation) Not sure as to why..

So here's the trade

This

For this..

Had a bunch of other stuff he gave me with it, trying to figure out what it is ( I think stone countertop toolage) and if it has any value.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: JET TRADE!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
I don't have a shaper any longer, but what was noticeable was the larger cutters turn slower so less burning. Mine had a power feed head....great accessory.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
I don't have a shaper any longer, but what was noticeable was the larger cutters turn slower so less burning. Mine had a power feed head....great accessory.

Yeah, a small 1/8 hp power feeder is about $375-$400. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one..

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »
pickup a treadmill from the side of the road. has the feed belt and the variable speed motor. ppl seem to throw those things away ll the time.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
A wheelchair motor and variable speed control board would be less than $75 if you're handy enough to build a mount for it and figure out a way to mount a sticky wheel to it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
A wheelchair motor and variable speed control board would be less than $75 if you're handy enough to build a mount for it and figure out a way to mount a sticky wheel to it.

Yea, I'd rather just see if I could find a cheap used one.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »
I don't blame you.  It's easy to type it or say it, but actually making it and making it work well is extremely time consuming.  Even after all the projects I've done it still amazes me how much time is spent making things from scratch.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »
but its so much fun :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
but its so much fun :)

I wish I had the background, or knowledge, or equipment to do that kind of stuff!!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »
When I started doing fabrication I started with an old stick welder a sawzall and a grinder. I built 4 jeeps with that setup. Now I am much better setup. I still use similar techniques but the more tools sure makes it quite a bit easier.

Don't sell yourself short. Yes, it is a talent that some do not possess. But it is also a talent that can be acquired with reasonable expectations. and satisfoctroy results.

I do keep wondering if building a cnc plasma table would be worthwhile for me or not? I already have the plasma. Just need some linear bearings, ball screws / lead screws and some stepper motors. Then some minor programming. Could probably build a real nice table for under $2000. but I would want a downdraft table. I do not like water tables.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
When I started doing fabrication I started with an old stick welder a sawzall and a grinder. I built 4 jeeps with that setup. Now I am much better setup. I still use similar techniques but the more tools sure makes it quite a bit easier.

Don't sell yourself short. Yes, it is a talent that some do not possess. But it is also a talent that can be acquired with reasonable expectations. and satisfoctroy results.

I do keep wondering if building a cnc plasma table would be worthwhile for me or not? I already have the plasma. Just need some linear bearings, ball screws / lead screws and some stepper motors. Then some minor programming. Could probably build a real nice table for under $2000. but I would want a downdraft table. I do not like water tables.

Yeah, I've long wanted a welder, but then I'd need a helmet, metal clamps, something to cut steel with, the steel stock to cut... yada yada yada… it just keeps adding up!$$$$$

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:13:54 AM »
harbor freight is your friend. can get all that for under $100 :) Unless you get the bandsaw then under 300. I would highly recommend the bandsaw. that is one tool that is worth every penny. mine is over 15 years old and has been amazing. never replaced anything on it and still cuts great.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »
Be sure to check the gearbox on those style saws, bud.  I did once, years ago, just out of curiosity and to see what was left in there and it was damn near bone dry, ready to self destruct.  I filled with grease and all is well and has been for about 15 years.  Mine is a Clark bought out of TSC.

One day I hope to move up a notch and get the bigger one with fluid pump, hydraulic head, large capacity.  "Only" around $1000 last I knew...

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
I am toying with the idea of just modifying mine so I can cut a 6x6 tube at 45 degree angle. Then I can sell my metal cutting sliding compound miter and stick with the band.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
harbor freight is your friend. can get all that for under $100 :) Unless you get the bandsaw then under 300. I would highly recommend the bandsaw. that is one tool that is worth every penny. mine is over 15 years old and has been amazing. never replaced anything on it and still cuts great.

Not sure I could get a welder that would actually work worth a hoot for under a hundo, even at Harbor Freight..

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
oops. forgot about the welder price :) 400 off CL.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »

Yeah.... OOOPS!  ;-)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 01:13:08 PM »
I guess I take for granted having 3 of them.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »

Look at Everlast welders.  Yes they are Chinese made but they are god quality.  https://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog-stick-welders

I have been very happy with both the quality and power/duty cycle of these units.  Remember you can't weld thickness without power and you can't use power that you don't pay for.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
I guess I take for granted having 3 of them.

What the.... you don't need three!! Send me one, you'll never even miss it!;-)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
Look at Everlast welders.  Yes they are Chinese made but they are god quality.  https://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog-stick-welders

I have been very happy with both the quality and power/duty cycle of these units.  Remember you can't weld thickness without power and you can't use power that you don't pay for.

Thanks, I'm not really looking for one, just said I ought to have one! ;-)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
yea. your right. I don't need 3. I just need 1.5. My mig is my baby. but I have a nice standbys stick for when I get into some serious trouble and forget to check the gas level.

Since I am an hour from the nearest gas and I always find out just before they close. It is nice to not have to stop a project when the gas is empty.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »
yea. your right. I don't need 3. I just need 1.5. My mig is my baby. but I have a nice standbys stick for when I get into some serious trouble and forget to check the gas level.

Since I am an hour from the nearest gas and I always find out just before they close. It is nice to not have to stop a project when the gas is empty.

That's the way it always is, just when you get started ...its like oh crap!! Usually gas or diesel for me.

ALWAYS got to do something else before you can do something!!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
I love living in the middle of nowhere. but living there requires smart planning :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
I love living in the middle of nowhere. but living there requires smart planning :)

Totally agree!