alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What tool you want?  (Read 40880 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: What tool you want?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »
Didnt it pay for itself with the flooring jobs?  Seemed like a pretty good machine from what I recall of the day we used it.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
The unit I bought and am sorry for spending the money on, has been my Logosol P260/
why is that frank i wood love to have one but still working on kiln & building to put it in
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
Yes, it is a good machine and all.  I just decided I should only be cutting lumber and not doing so many things.  Yes, it has paid for itself and all.  I am willing to give a hefty discount to the right buyer, Kirk.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
I could want it all day long but getting it here is the problem.  ???

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
About the only thing could really use would be a dedicated slaber. I get a call every couple months for live edge table top slabs or the ability to cut from their logs. + it would save my back cuttin these big logs in half ;D

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
I will check on the shipping costs, Kirk and let you know. 

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 01:20:19 AM »
 Thread wake up call. You know how these new posters are.

Would anyone have the knowledge to venture an opinion on a Powermatic 15 HH, 15 inch planer, a few years old, now selling new on Amazon for $3100 shipped?   The man designing our house for us wants to sell his and some other shop tools.  I think he said he paid $3600 for it, but memories vary, we know how that is.  Single phase 230.

I'd be using it to clean up bandsaw and swing blade milled oak, etc, from our land, probably mostly for flooring, as I hope we can keep the trim "rustic" and save the work!

The guy's pretty adventurous. His own house is a nice timber frame, and he put down some very wide flooring on the second floor, green. He secured it with fasteners using slots instead of round holes and adjusted things as the wood dried.

He & his wife also have a three-year-old crazy rambunctious border collie. How bad can a guy who has one of them really be?   I mean, we know he had at least sense enough to get a dog smarter than most people. 🐕
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »
Powermatic has made some great tools and their planer is no exception.  What kind of price is he asking for it?

Offline RiverForest

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47:36 AM »
Waiting still for pricing, along with waiting for a full list of what he wants to sell--I think he is hedging until he gets his own house on the mkt..  I'll jump back on here with it when he tells me.

I'm off to the Richmond (VA) forestry show Friday & Saturday--anyone from this forum attending (Richard and Kasco of course!)?  Wood-Mizer is practically moving heaven and earth there from Indy according to Marty Parsons, something like 15 machines or more.  Including a zero turn mower...zzzzzzz.
Learning/listening mode works best coupled with a thick skin.  Share what you do know and what you learn when you can

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »
And another wake up post..

Don't know if this counts but I'd love to have a 3 point backhoe to go on my Kubota.

Lost of other tools I'd like to get also.. not room here to list them I don't think.

Two I've recently acquired is a 16" planer a couple months ago, and a little shaper I got yesterday. YAY

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
I would look for a frame mounted backhoe for your Kubota.  I have heard that the three point ones have structural and strength issues.  I know my dealer was adamant that it was not a good idea when I got mine JD 13 years ago.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
I would look for a frame mounted backhoe for your Kubota.  I have heard that the three point ones have structural and strength issues.  I know my dealer was adamant that it was not a good idea when I got mine JD 13 years ago.

Yeah, but yours is a JD! HAHA! sorry, couldn't resist.

I only say the 3 point cause it would be a very seldomly used piece of equipment.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 10:54:06 AM »
you know how funny it is everyone says the 3 point hitch ones are bad. My dad has had one that went on his Minneapolis Moline for 20+ years. He has used it a ton. It has never caused any issues with the tractor or the 3 pt.

Biggest problem is the major need for ballast on the front with it on the back.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »
you know how funny it is everyone says the 3 point hitch ones are bad. My dad has had one that went on his Minneapolis Moline for 20+ years. He has used it a ton. It has never caused any issues with the tractor or the 3 pt.

Biggest problem is the major need for ballast on the front with it on the back.

Yeah, I could just pick up a load of sand with the loader for that.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
that would work. his does not have the loader.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
It might not be that easy to find a frame mount for an older tractor but I know of guys that have fab'ed up their own. 
It locks in so much better and has no play on the lift arm links. 
As to your Deere comment:  Trust me there is a very good  reason I went with the JD instead of the Kubota.
It is not a Chevy Ford Dodge thing either.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
It might not be that easy to find a frame mount for an older tractor but I know of guys that have fab'ed up their own. 
It locks in so much better and has no play on the lift arm links. 
As to your Deere comment:  Trust me there is a very good  reason I went with the JD instead of the Kubota.
It is not a Chevy Ford Dodge thing either.

So enlighten me... Nothing really wrong with a deere, but this is my 3rd Kubota.. trouble free machinery

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
A lot of folks around here have had issues with the mid range (50-70 HP) Kubotas tractors and the dealer just plain sucks at service issue and support.

A different piece of equipment but................... 
When I was looking at the SVL90-2 five years ago I had to go 150 miles away to find a dealer that was even knowledgeable enough to have an intelligent conversation about the unit and its mulching capability.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
A lot of folks around here have had issues with the mid range (50-70 HP) Kubotas tractors and the dealer just plain sucks at service issue and support.

A different piece of equipment but................... 
When I was looking at the SVL90-2 five years ago I had to go 150 miles away to find a dealer that was even knowledgeable enough to have an intelligent conversation about the unit and its mulching capability.

I've had a 55 hp gear drive, then a 30 hp Glideshift, and now a 37hp hydrostatic. The only one that's ever been in the shop is this last one, had a seal go out in the front end and being 4wd I didn't want to mess with it so I let them do it. But always had good luck with my Kubota dealers (three different states). Need to go to one soon and pick up 12 gallons of hydro oil and a couple filters... Time for my 800 hr service.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:10 PM »
I guess I would play devils advocate and if they were so problem free why don't you still have them? 
Or are you the trade in for the new one at some point rather than the one that keeps it until it dies.
I am the later type. 
I have a 1981 CJ5 jeep that when I got it in Sept 1980 I made a commitment to keep it until it died or I died which ever came first.  I have several folks on my wife's side of the family that are laying claim to it.  But I am not giving it up and I don't plan on croaking anytime soon.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 07:02:28 AM »
I guess I would play devils advocate and if they were so problem free why don't you still have them? 
Or are you the trade in for the new one at some point rather than the one that keeps it until it dies.
I am the later type. 
I have a 1981 CJ5 jeep that when I got it in Sept 1980 I made a commitment to keep it until it died or I died which ever came first.  I have several folks on my wife's side of the family that are laying claim to it.  But I am not giving it up and I don't plan on croaking anytime soon.

I had the 55 hp one in Oklahoma where I had 160 acres, sold it when we moved to colorado to reside on 10 acres on the side of a mountain (TALK ABOUT A MISTAKE!!) needed to downsize it. Sold that one when we moved back to the world here in South Carolina and got 100 acres and wanted a bigger tractor.

I should have kept that first one all along.. oh well hindsight I guess. And all of them were used, I wish I could afford a shiny new one! Although this one only had 320 hrs on it when I bought it.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
I'll be happy for the time to wear out the tools I have. Frank C.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »
I'll be happy for the time to wear out the tools I have. Frank C.

Great answer