alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New little project  (Read 8040 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
New little project
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:24:11 AM »
So the wife says we need a pistol range closer to the house, the main range is way down in the woods and a project if we want to just shoot a little, so...

Wanted this tree first for the mill..

And down it comes

Trimmed up and ready for the mill (cut into shorter pieces)

And ready to cut.. (this is a sawmill forum after all)

And the little area cleared out and the start of my new range

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: New little project
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
Cool!  Looks like that'll be a nice little range right there.

I'm glad you're keeping us updated on your goings on down there, and the pics are always nice.

I'll have to do something similar as soon as I have the mill updated.  I'm still a few months out, though. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »
Thanks, would like to set up some sort of shooting bench with a shade roof, just not sure as to what yet..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »
So update time, other than the roof and misc adjustments I'm pretty much done with this range..

Ordered some gongs

Built a little bench

Finished my target stand (for now)

And here you go..

And a little gun darts was in order

Shew.. beat the wife by 5...

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
Cool!  That looks like fun.

And anybody standing there would've been more than dead and that ain't the biggest target in the world either.  You both are capable shots, that's for sure.

I like the design of the shooting bench.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:20 AM »
OK, now you done went and done it.
What calibers?
Store bought or roll your own?
Cast or condoms?
What loads? LOL

I also like the design of that bench, it is similar to my portable one. I literally hate shooting at the public range, so have a portable bench, I can take anywhere and use. It is store bought though.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
OK, now you done went and done it.
What calibers?
Store bought or roll your own?
Cast or condoms?
What loads? LOL

I also like the design of that bench, it is similar to my portable one. I literally hate shooting at the public range, so have a portable bench, I can take anywhere and use. It is store bought though.

WOW, ALL THE QUESTIONS! ;D ;D

So far (only been open one day) 22 mag, 38 sp, 357mag,40 S&W, 45ACP

All store bought except the 40 and the 38sp. If you really want the recipes I'll chase them down for you. 22 mags are very hard to reload! :-\  My XDS 3" 45 is pretty new, I bought 1500 rounds for it when I bought it so I'm still stockpiling brass, got the dies and such just haven't messed with it yet. we only shot a few of the 357 and I just grabbed a box of store bought, I have reloads but didn't use them. I wanted to see how the gongs took the mag rounds close up.

All condoms, someday I'd like to get into casting but I have no time for everything I'm doing already, I don't need to add more things to do!

Next time we play gun darts I may get out my 500 S$W, bigger holes score more points. This time we played Tammy had a 38 (her bedside gun) and I used my PMR 30 22mag..I only won by 5!!

Thanks on the bench, found the plans online somewhere. I don't do public ranges either, I can count on one hand how many times I've been to one. There is one down in Charleston that has full auto Fridays and they rent full autos to play with, that's pretty fun!
I have a 100 yard range here, this pistol range, a set of gongs at 250 yards, and I'm looking at moving the 100 yarder to a new area where I can have 100 and a 300 yard range.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:02:46 PM by A.O. »

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »
I challenge anyone to rip of a clip on full auto, and not have a shit eating grin. Frank C.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
I challenge anyone to rip of a clip on full auto, and not have a shit eating grin. Frank C.

It is indeed fun to rip a "magazine" in full auto.. also expensive.. they wont let you load it with your own ammo.. you have to buy theirs.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:52:52 AM »

Impossible...

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
I have only had the chance to shoot a full auto once. They were on loan from Cannon  air base to the sheriffs dept, and a deputy took me out to shoot it.
One mag was all I got to waste, but it was a blast. I couldn't really hit anything with it though. lol
There is a full auto club here, that I can hear at the range shooting fairly regular, just the sound is fun.

I have way too much casting and reloading supplies and equipment, I should really start thinking about getting rid of a lot of it.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »
I updated the plates on my range. ;D ;D

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
Many years ago a historical club I belonged to borrowed a Gatlin gun from a noted museum for an attraction at a gun show we put on. Before returning it we took it to the range. This was before 1968. We had more freedom back then.