alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Shotgun slugs  (Read 10543 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Shotgun slugs
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
I think most of us hunt. I have been reloading slugs, the Lyman 525 gr. shaped like a huge air rifle pellet. I cast them from wheel weights. At 60 yards get 2-2 1/4" groups through a rem. 870 with a rifled barrel. Years ago those would be considered fair groups with an old deer rifle. They kick like a mule though. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Shotgun slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
I looked them up and yikes!  Those things are gonna leave a hell of a wound.  Are you using them with sabots?  Then, seeing they're at least half again as heavy as a "normal" slug I thought of my shoulder.  I shot a 3 1/2" mag out of the old Mossberg 835 once.  Only once.   Those things are stupid nasty to shoot and it bruised the hell out of my shoulder.

I once made the mistake of shooting a nice little doe with a .308 soft nose, half clad with copper.  The whole front of her was basically black jelly from clots and damage from it.  Amazing hitting power.  Went back to .30-30 after that.  I know there's not much in the front quarters anyway, but waste is waste.  That's all good stew meat.

We were shotgun only for deer hunting for what seemed like forever then they lifted it and we could use rifles.  Around 05 maybe...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:43 AM »
it still scares me the ability to use rifles around here. especially with all the idiots that are bragging about their 300 mag and 30-06 for hunting deer.

The last deer I got with my 30-06 was at 50 yards. Went in one shoulder then out the other. Shattered everything on its way through. Ruined all the meat.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »
Seems like a good pattern/spread But I have no desire to shoot it.. my shoulder would cry! Too much work been done in there.

I mostly hunt with a single shot 30/30 carbine anymore, head shots out a little past 100 yards so no loss of meat.

This little guy..

And speaking about large slugs, I have 700 grainers for my 500 S$W, here is one next to a loaded 45 ACP for comparison.. >:D >:D

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
For hunting what?  Polar bear?  Golly...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
For hunting what?  Polar bear?  Golly...

To tell you the honest to goodness truth, I've never shot one. I have a batch that I loaded up, but havent mustered the courage to shoot one yet... I'm working on it.. Normal rounds are 350 - 400 grains.. those 700ers are supposed to kick like a mule! :o :o

And I'm thinking wild pigs, I got plenty of them here.

Oh, and they will take down anything on planet earth!  ;D

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
I have herd they the largest pistols made to stun fish in shallow water where legal. Is there anything Frank C. has not done ? I didn't know anybody bothered to reload slugs. I used to do 10ga. magnums when I waterfowl hunted because they where expensive and I missed a lot.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:02:17 PM »
Creeker, I've never been able to figure out how to post pictures. Ox. the beauty of those slugs is you just use regular wads, drop the slug in and star crimp as usual. When I hunt in rifle zones I use my old winny 94 32 special, more than enough for Bambi. I hunted ducks for years with 3 1/2" 10ga. using reloads. I did much experimenting trying to get good 100 yd. patterns alas even large lead pellets pooped out at 80 yds. In my youth I used to shoot suckers in a shallow brook, you didn't even have to hit them the concussion of a near hit would send them belly up. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
Frank, If it kills me I am going to find something I have done that you haven't! Damn it, I may have to come up there just to see if you actually exist.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 04:53:12 AM »
Perhaps I'm a fictious old coot created by the Madison ave. add agency's just to heckle you country boys. Frank C.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »
For deer I use 44-40 lever action up to 40 yards. If in long range stand 303 British WW2 enfield.
Course scene 1986 I only hunt here at home
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
For deer I use 44-40 lever action up to 40 yards. If in long range stand 303 British WW2 enfield.
Course scene 1986 I only hunt here at home

I too only hunt on my place...

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
Ok Frank, been thinken all day. On july fourth 1976 at 5 am we fired the civil war cannon it the village square and didn't get caught. Your turn.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »
You got me on that one mate, sounds like a hops related incident. Usually they fill those old guns with cement to keep naughty boys from shelling town hall. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »
Took us a week of nights to clean out the old barrel and redrill the touch hole. We where scared it would have a frost crack in it and explode. Shot a pound of rifle powder packed tight with wet rags. Used a fuse from an m 80 with a cigarette for a timer, stood back and watched. It lifted back and started the bicentennial with a real bang.