alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Done for the winter.  (Read 5460 times)

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
Done for the winter.
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:48:17 PM »
weather warmed up too much, so we wrapped it up for the winter season.
Saturday before last I hauled in the last load of logs, then made too more trips and brought the skidders in. Our road was starting to get a little soft, but we still had close to 30 inches of ice on the 2 river crossings, which I figured would last at least another 2 weeks, but weight restrictions were going on the following monday anyway, so we were done.

Fast forward one week and a friend showed me a posting on facebook someone had posted (not sure what day they posted it) they were standing at the boat ramp on the big river (first one we crossed) and there was no sign that the ice bridge had ever been there. lol I misfigured it big time.

We do have a little logging that may, depending on weather be possible this summer, but I went ahead and thawed out my haul road truck and will be bringing it in this evening or in the morning to do some maintenence, probably have to run north at least some this summer, dreading it already. lol

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Done for the winter.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:16 PM »
Cheer up mate we're coming into the black fly/muck season. I didn't get a chance to go ice fishing this winter we would get several cold days then warm. Frank C.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »
No problem, I was actually glad to finish that sale, well we didn't have time to actually finish and will eventually have to go back, but sinse they can not do any road work until the ice bridges are in, the ground is way too froze to build decent roads, unless we get a lot of snow.

we did not have enough snow to work with after they finally got some equipment across, so it was rough and SLOW, at least in my truck. It took me longer to run 6 miles than it did to run the 60 miles of pavement. lol

I have just managed to stay off the haul road for the last couple of years, and it too gets rough, especially this time of year, but really all summer exspecially if we have any rain.  I am not really looking forward to it, but it will be nice to blow the dust off the haul road truck, plus it is a lot nicer to drive too. lol

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
Thanks for the updates.  I for one really enjoy reading about and imagining your exploits in the great white north.  In another life I could be doing exactly what you're doing.  It sounds right up my alley.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
I have been to alaska 2 times. I would move up there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the wife. That entire area intrigues me. Just the day to day challenges are crazy.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
I tried my damdest to get stationed on the naval air station at Adak, but they sent me to the Philippines. Frank C.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
From what I hear about Adak weather, I wouldn't like it  I'm thinking.

Some women loves it up here, others can't stand the long winter nights.
I had been up here for several months before my wife ever came visit. It was January when she flew up, so very short daylight, and something like 36 below when I picked her up at the airport. I was afraid she wouldn't like it much, but she loved it. I don't think anything could make her leave here now.

I haven't run north at all the last 3 years, and with the health problems I had, I was somewhat worried I would have a hard time finding work, BUT a couple of hours ago I got a call asking if I would run some this summer.
I told them they were the first ones I was planning on calling, but I wouldn't be ready for another week or so. lol
I could have taken a load this evening. lol It sounds like I will have as much to do as I want,, if not more.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
Sounds like the day I landed in AZ for college. Went from upstate NY to phoenix. never been in a city my entire life. Then moved to phx. When I landed at the airport is was 120 degrees. I tried to get back on the plane. They wouldn't let me. I hated it for the first year but after that I loved it and miss it alot. but don't think I could ever live there again. the crime and traffic suk. Plus Ihave 10 acres in the middle of the woods now.