alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: firewood racks and lids  (Read 6102 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
firewood racks and lids
« on: May 17, 2019, 06:29:40 AM »
2nd year with my latest wood stove and I'm trying to keep my wood dry as it seasons so I built some new wood racks and I put lids on 2 of them yesterday.. sure is nice to have an abundant supply of cheap lumber!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:28:12 AM by A.O. »

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: firewood racks and lids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
I have always envisioned modular firewood racks that would hole 2 face cords and have a tongue and wheels that switched between them all. Then I could put all my wood in one place away from the house. When I need wood just put the wheels and tongue on one rack then drag it into the garage with the tractor.

Even thought about producing racks and selling them. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized ppl are set in their ways and do not usually want to change. Especially if one rack is $300+

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: firewood racks and lids
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
Yeah, I put my firewood in a rack I built for the front porch which is the closest door to my wood stove. Kind of unobtrusive and neat seeing that it is on the front porch and you have to go by it to get in. So I just load it a bucket or 2 at a time as I need it.
And over the years this is just kinda how I've done it, bringing my firewood up a bucket at a time.
These racks hold just over a half a cord each, no clue how many "face cords" or "ricks" . My stove takes 16" pieces and at that length these hold 75-78 cubic feet of wood.

This way seems to work for me, so ...so be it.

Years ago I had a Longwood stove, the perfect house heater! it would take 5 foot logs, had an oil burner to get it started and burned forever, and worked off a thermostat in the house!