alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New bands time...  (Read 23085 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
New bands time...
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »
So I'm down to just a couple bands left, that is out of the 3 that came with the mill and a ten pack of ripper 37's I bought soon after, so I've gone through 10-11 bands in my first year to give you an idea how much I cut.

All I have tried have been 10 degree bands. I know there are 10's, 7's, and even 4's out there but I've never tried them. Most of what I cut is SYP with a little hickory, oak and a few oddballs thrown in. Whats the real advantages of the other hook angles, and does tree species (hardwood/softwood) make a big difference?

I'm probably looking for a ten pack, more than that gets too expensive and un-necessary seeing as how many I go through in a year. I think I paid about $15 a piece for the ripper 37s and am hoping to find something comparable.. what do you guys like? and why?

Thanks..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: New bands time...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
Kasco Woodmaxx .045 4 degree blades all the way.  I've tried several other brands including Lenox, Woodmizer, Cooks, and Timberwolf.  I'm happiest with Kasco 4 degree blades.  They cut smoothest, last longest, are less wavy, and are best for lower powered mills like yours and mine (mine's 13 hp at the moment).

Richard Thompson (member Cutting Edge Saw Svc.) is the guy you want to get ahold of if you want to try these blades.  I think the price will fall right around where you paid for your other blades.  I remember I bought my first 10 through him (he's a distributor/dealer/representative/researcher for Kasco) and the price was the best I remember paying per blade.

I would put his number up here but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do..........?  Richard, how do you feel about your number being out here? 

Private message him maybe?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »
Kasco Woodmaxx .045 4 degree blades all the way.  I've tried several other brands including Lenox, Woodmizer, Cooks, and Timberwolf.  I'm happiest with Kasco 4 degree blades.  They cut smoothest, last longest, are less wavy, and are best for lower powered mills like yours and mine (mine's 13 hp at the moment).

Richard Thompson (member Cutting Edge Saw Svc.) is the guy you want to get ahold of if you want to try these blades.  I think the price will fall right around where you paid for your other blades.  I remember I bought my first 10 through him (he's a distributor/dealer/representative/researcher for Kasco) and the price was the best I remember paying per blade.

I would put his number up here but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do..........?  Richard, how do you feel about your number being out here? 

Private message him maybe?

Thanks, seems to me I talked to him way back when I was just getting started but his minimum order was 15 blades, that knocked me out of the running..

So why 4 degree, and why the .045 thickness?  Just curiosity from a rookie..  And at less than half the angle of a 10 degree, do they cut slower?

And if he doesn't pipe up, I'll try the pm..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:27:49 PM »
The .045 isn't much thicker than the .042, but makes a noticeable difference in band stiffness without sacrificing hardly any blade life as with the thicker .055 blades.  The 4 degree lets us "shave less" wood when milling, allowing for better control of the very narrow torque curve of our smaller engines.  The lesser bite also allows for a flatter cut when in nasty twisted knotty logs.  And with 4 degree there's a little more material at the tooth tip to aid in longevity as far as sharpness is concerned.

This is my understanding of it all - I'm not a blade expert.  Richard would be able to tell you much more than I ever can.  If I said anything that's wrong, I certainly didn't mean it.  Hopefully this explains it all in a nutshell!

I'm sure you two will be in touch shortly.

Edit - A.O. check your PMs

For all others - I'd put Richard's number up here only if he specifically says it's ok with him!
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
Just had a good talk with Cutting edge (Richard) about some blades.. I'm down to only one left. Sounds like those Kasco 4 degree jobs are the way to go..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »
I'm tellin ya - they're a good choice and a good value.  A must try in my book.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »
I am not a bandsaw person but I want to say that a saw shop owner who is active in supplying saws and filing them for many different machines and users will gain much more knowledge than the individual. If he is an honest and helpful person and I believe he is, then that is where you should spend your money.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
I'm tellin ya - they're a good choice and a good value.  A must try in my book.

My only problem is the 15 band minimum on a band I've never tried, he is going to try to get me a sample band to try but he says it'll take a couple weeks and I'm down to only one new band left...

Wish I could get a box of 5-10 degree, 5-7 degree, and 5-4 degree but they wont mix them.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
woodmizer got smart and started making smaller blade packs. I think they have 1, 5, 10, and 15. I am trying 1 carbide. see I how I like that.

also thinking about buying the HF circular sawblade sharpened and adapting ti to work for bands. even if it doesn't I can use it on my circular blades.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
woodmizer got smart and started making smaller blade packs. I think they have 1, 5, 10, and 15. I am trying 1 carbide. see I how I like that.

also thinking about buying the HF circular sawblade sharpened and adapting ti to work for bands. even if it doesn't I can use it on my circular blades.

Yeah, a 5 or 10 pack would be good for us little guys.

I have the HF circular saw blade sharpener, it does a pretty good job on circular blades, not sure how you would alter it for bands though..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
I look at it differently.  Yeah, it's a small chunk of money for 15, but the price per blade can't be beat, at least for my length which is 13'2", or 158".  I'm sure if you absolutely hate the blades (I don't know how - the 4s are designed for lower powered mills) it would be made right. 

I can't say any more because I'm not with Kasco or Cutting Edge.  I've already given my opinion further up in this thread.  When I first ordered the Kascos I went with all the happy and satisfied customers that have already run them and they were all saying they'll never go back to another blade.  I'm glad I did!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »
I look at it differently.  Yeah, it's a small chunk of money for 15, but the price per blade can't be beat, at least for my length which is 13'2", or 158".  I'm sure if you absolutely hate the blades (I don't know how - the 4s are designed for lower powered mills) it would be made right. 

I can't say any more because I'm not with Kasco or Cutting Edge.  I've already given my opinion further up in this thread.  When I first ordered the Kascos I went with all the happy and satisfied customers that have already run them and they were all saying they'll never go back to another blade.  I'm glad I did!

I agree, and all reviews I've seen were good. They are 2 bucks each more expensive than the last batch I bought.. So the price per blade CAN be beat...

But my last blades were the thinner blades also so its not an apples to apples comparison either.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:30:08 PM by A.O. »

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »
Yeah, a 5 or 10 pack would be good for us little guys.

I have the HF circular saw blade sharpener, it does a pretty good job on circular blades, not sure how you would alter it for bands though..

instead of having a blade stop turn that into a follower to follow the gullet on the blade. so the tooth next to be ground will be the one driving the shape.

Still have alot of details to figure out but I am sure it can be done with some time and patience. I need to order one of those sharpeners and try it out.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »

instead of having a blade stop turn that into a follower to follow the gullet on the blade. so the tooth next to be ground will be the one driving the shape.

Still have alot of details to figure out but I am sure it can be done with some time and patience. I need to order one of those sharpeners and try it out.

I'm almost thinking their chainsaw chain sharpener might work better for that. I have one of those also, but my hand filing does a better job!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I think the only real difference between the 2 is the sawblade sharpener has a diamond wheel and slides in an out where the chainsaw one does not need a diamond wheel and goes up and down. I think for bands in and out is better.

anybody want to donate to the cause I will do all the research :)

Or I will just go buy one and do the research anyhow :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
I think the only real difference between the 2 is the sawblade sharpener has a diamond wheel and slides in an out where the chainsaw one does not need a diamond wheel and goes up and down. I think for bands in and out is better.

anybody want to donate to the cause I will do all the research :)

Or I will just go buy one and do the research anyhow :)

Take a look at that chainsaw onw before you commit, you can change angles and stuff. on the circular one you would probably have to have the band vertical when you do it and the chain one more horizontal.
If you were closer I might give you the chainsaw one to play with.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »
the circle one will do 25 degrees each direction. you are correct the loop would be up in the air. But that could be an easy bar hanging from the ceiling.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
A.O. - where did you last buy your blades?  Do they have .045 thick blades?  Is the $2 cheaper per blade including the shipping costs, like Kasco does, or do you pay for shipping separately? 

I'm just curious.  I don't get out much and because of that I tend to try to "mine" as much info as I can so I don't feel so stupid...

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
A.O. - where did you last buy your blades?  Do they have .045 thick blades?  Is the $2 cheaper per blade including the shipping costs, like Kasco does, or do you pay for shipping separately? 

I'm just curious.  I don't get out much and because of that I tend to try to "mine" as much info as I can so I don't feel so stupid...

The ones that I had bought were ripper 37's from Jerrys resharp in Kentucky ( https://www.jerrysresharp.com/ ), they were .042 in thickness and 10 degree blades, $15.50 each and about 20 bucks shipping if I remember right so there was not a big difference in price mostly the fact that I have to buy 5 more blades if I get the Kasco's, which I most likely will.
The Ripper 37's were decent blades but again I don't have a lot to compare them with, just the 3 I originally got with the saw.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
Before I bought my cats claw I sharpened by hand on a modified bench grinder. They cut fine but the job was tedious and best done before Miller time. Suffolk Timberwolf sent me the plans to modify a bench grinder. The tool holder is marked to show the proper angle and the wheel dressed to fit the gullet. You touch the back of the tooth lightly and move the wheel to the bottom of the gullet in one smooth motion. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
I think $17.50 is, or is very very close to the price per blade, including shipping, I paid for the Kasco 4s.  This is what you ended up paying for your last blades, including shipping.  You ain't got nothing to lose!  Try the new bands.  You'll like them.  Very flat sawing.  Trying different blades and manufacturers, for me at least, was one of the fun things about sawmilling.  But then there's the satisfaction of trying the different ones and then finding and settling on the one that makes you happy!

Whatever route you take I'm sure you'll find and settle as well.  I tried 6 different blade types before I settled, if it helps you any with your decision making.  Thing is, you keep on sawing and making things which is the whole point, right?  :)  I'm still upgrading.  Slow as molasses uphill in January.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
Yes, that's about right pricewise.. Wish I could buy them 5 at a time to try them out, different degrees, different manufacturers, etc. If I buy 15, it will be another year, year and a half before I would need more or try something else.. If I had just a couple of each to compare against, that would be nice!

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
Before I bought my cats claw I sharpened by hand on a modified bench grinder. They cut fine but the job was tedious and best done before Miller time. Suffolk Timberwolf sent me the plans to modify a bench grinder. The tool holder is marked to show the proper angle and the wheel dressed to fit the gullet. You touch the back of the tooth lightly and move the wheel to the bottom of the gullet in one smooth motion. Frank C.

I have sharpened a couple now with a Dremel and a chainsaw stone. While on the machine I just follow around the whole thing, face , gullet , back, just keep working my way around the blade between the guides. Make a starting mark on the band with a marker, sharpen a section then pull the band to the next section and so on till I get to my starting mark. I keep the bit straight up and down against the blade and go round it. Worked "ok" , it was sharper, but not like a new blade..

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
Most band vendors are a small business and you can talk to the owner or head smurf. If you have a standard length band ask them to weld a few more with a larger order and ship them even with a little extra for shipping. We all start small and a few of us prefer to stay that way. Frank C.

Offline kelLOGg

• New Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »
I'm thinking about trying the Kasco bands. I went on their site but could not find 1.25" bands 0.045" thick in 14 ft lengths. Will that be a custom order? Same price as their advertised bands? What has other's experience been?