alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New bands time...  (Read 21163 times)

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: New bands time...
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »
When I first got my sharpener and setter, I was curious about what the band options were.  If you order direct from a manufacturer you'll run in to the minimum requirements issue - which makes sense for them.  If you order from a supplier that handles multiple brands, you may have better luck.  I ordered from two companies and was able to try Suffolk, WM, Lenox, etc. and buy two of each, with different profiles.  One company treated me very fairly with shipping, one did not. :-X  Ask about the shipping.  I kept accurate records as to band life, footage, cost, etc.

I think I tried 7 or 8 brands overall, my exclusive band for the past couple of years has been Kasco.  Over time, performance is mostly related to your setting and sharpening protocol.  Kasco has been the best for band life / cost.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »
Kasco's website is lacking. But Richard will get you hooked up.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »
I'm thinking about trying the Kasco bands. I went on their site but could not find 1.25" bands 0.045" thick in 14 ft lengths. Will that be a custom order? Same price as their advertised bands? What has other's experience been?

Get ahold of Richard, member Cutting Edge.  He's the blade guy for Kasco and will be able to get you a quote - there will be no problem getting whatever length you need. 

kelLOGg - I sent you a PM with contact info for Richard.

Here's his website:

https://cesawservice.business.site/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:00:05 PM by Ox »
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
OK, UPDATE:

Richard hooked me up with a couple .045, 4 degree bands to try! Thanks Richard! Its been hot as a Carolina Reaper here so I've not been sawing much lately but that will change next week as I'm dying to try out these bands! Got some oak and hickory on the ground already and I'll probably drop a couple Loblollys also to give them a good try!

Again,  thanks to Richard at Cutting Edge

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
You're gonna like 'em.  Flatter sawing, longer lasting.  I use 'em for everything and anything.  They even take a backstop strike better than the others!  :o

Richard must have bent over backwards to get you a couple of trial blades.  He's a great guy.

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
I have a box of them I still need to tap into. I may have used 1 but didn't get much time on it.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »
I'm using the Kasco 4 deg. I have 3 different blade sharpeners but I found to save time I would rather sharpen the band on the saw with a dremel using a white 3/8 stone that I can buy for $1.00 each or less off E-bay. Sure saves time and it does a good job.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:47:28 PM by kbeitz »
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »
I'm using the Kasco 4 deg. I have 3 different blade sharpeners but I found to save time I would rather sharpen the band on the saw with a dremel using a white 3/8 stone that I can buy for $1.00 each off E-bay. Sure saves time and it does a good job.

How do you like those 4 degree Kascos? I've not even gotten a chance to try them. Got my whole family coming 1st week in July and been doing other stuff getting ready.

And do you have a link to those stones you use? I've been using chainsaw stones but they seem too small.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:11:09 AM by A.O. »

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
The Kascos work as good as any other I've used...
This is the stones I use. White ones last longer....

NOS 500 PIECES DREMEL STONE GRINDING STONE 3/8"DIAMETERx1" SHANK 1 1/2x1/8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-500-PIECES-DREMEL-STONE-GRINDING-STONE-3-8-DIAMETERx1-SHANK-1-1-2x1-8/232509957072?hash=item3622ac63d0:g:C34AAOSwLUtZ0pGs

well worth the money...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2019, 06:35:15 AM »
The Kascos work as good as any other I've used...
This is the stones I use. White ones last longer....

NOS 500 PIECES DREMEL STONE GRINDING STONE 3/8"DIAMETERx1" SHANK 1 1/2x1/8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-500-PIECES-DREMEL-STONE-GRINDING-STONE-3-8-DIAMETERx1-SHANK-1-1-2x1-8/232509957072?hash=item3622ac63d0:g:C34AAOSwLUtZ0pGs

well worth the money...

Jeeze Loweez.. I don't need 500! Wanna sell me 20 of yours??

Offline kbeitz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
Thats a great price for 500....
Should be good for around 15,000 sharpinings
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Thats a great price for 500....
Should be good for around 15,000 sharpinings

Well for me that would be good for at least 625 years!! Not sure I'll be around that long..

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
OK, finally an UPDATE on this blade/band thing.

As I said earlier Richard (Cutting Edge) set me up with 2 of the .045-4 degree blades and it has cooled down enough too actually try them. Remember I'm a rookie that just mills occasionally.. These blades seem to work as advertised and as OX promised. dulled the first one and half dulled the second, called Richard and ordered a box and he had them here in about 4 days! Thanks Richard , if you ever actually read this.
So now I'm set up with a years + worth of blades! And Richard is great to deal with if you ever need any!

Thanks for the help and advice to all here!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
See there?  Folks helping folks.  Everybody wins.  And no jealousy about "free advertising" from greedy jerks who want their cut of every damn thing that comes down the pike.

Thank God for this forum.  It's great. 

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
See there?  Folks helping folks.  Everybody wins.  And no jealousy about "free advertising" from greedy jerks who want their cut of every damn thing that comes down the pike.

Thank God for this forum.  It's great.

Come on Ox, tell us what you really think! >:D >:D

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Ain't none of us got time for that, trust me!  There's more that pisses me off than makes me happy in this world anymore it seems.  Hopefully soon to be changing over the winter.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
just throwing this out there.... i saw about 200,000 bf /yr all species, severely frozen, dirty(no debarker) . iv'e tried them all 4, 7. 10 degree. best results for my application is 7 degree .045 . paying around $23 / blade on average the blade life will saw close to 15,000 bf so, blade cost is very small in the overall cost of sawing. never letting your blade run more than 4 hours before replacing it with another will make blade life drastically increase
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:30:59 AM by red oaks lumber »
follow your heart, the rest will happen