alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Illinois LOVES electric vehicles  (Read 7583 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Illinois LOVES electric vehicles
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »
New bill being submitted to stiff owners and deter new owners.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/illinois-1000-electric-vehicle-legislation

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Illinois LOVES electric vehicles
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »
Considering the rest of us taxpayers end up paying for their free charging at facilities all over the state, about time they pay instead of us paying it.  Pisses me off that I pull into a county parking lot and they get free electricity yet there is not a single diesel or gas pump to be seen.

No, I do not want free fuel, just don't think it's fair that they get free electricity and are never hit with Motor Fuel Tax like we are yet they use the same roads.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
I would guess that what will come is a mileage reporting requirement for all vehicles. No doubt....or state and local governments will be jacking the fuel taxes up....
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »
If it is local or federal govt supplied, it should be metered just like fuel pumps. insert your card, then get constant notices to move so others can use the stall. Too many people just park there for the day.

All vehicles pay the same registration or a smaller add on for EV's. 1000% is just more stupid politics. States in the article the extra tax is for "FUTURE projects".  ::) ::) Methinks Petroleum is giving more bribes to Govt's.,since more manufacturers are gearing up for EV production.

Buy an EV, charge at home and Bob's yer uncle.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
So glad I moved out of Illinois years ago!! They need to register and tax the idiots on bicycles that use the roads too.. and I'm not talking about the kids in neighborhoods..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
Good to hear from you again, Harold!

I understand both sides of the argument but I also don't have any solutions to it.  Like joasis said, probably a mileage reporting system would be the only way to fairly charge motorists taxes to be allowed to drive.  But what do I know?  Not a whole lot.

It all leaves a real crappy taste in my mouth...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
In my state the transportation system is paid for by fuel taxes.  There has been a discussion as to how to make it equitable for all users.  Currently the electric cars pay no road taxes as they buy no fuel.  They do not have an surtax on the electricity and as was pointed out they get free electricity at many location from the state supplied stations.  There have been proposals to put meters on charging stations so that the electricity used at home for charging cars is separate from home use electricity.  Everyone needs to be paying for the use of the roads.  Not just some folks (read as gas/diesel cars).  When I look at how much I pay in fuel taxes  per gallon I suspect that the charge they are tacking on is not too far off base to offset the charges gas users are already paying. 
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
The government does a lot of things that's not fair...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
think about the electric cars to save gas fumes in the air I guess so it runs on electricity and how many places are still burning coal to make that electricity somehow this doesn't seem that efficient. Seen a Amish guy one time with a battery blowed up, asking what happened he said that his gasoline powered motor that turns the generator to charge the battery so his 12 volt electric fence wood work got to close &
 the exhaust fumes blew it up. same sometimes we spend a fortune to go around the corner thinking we saved in the end
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
think about the electric cars to save gas fumes in the air I guess so it runs on electricity and how many places are still burning coal to make that electricity somehow this doesn't seem that efficient. Seen a Amish guy one time with a battery blowed up, asking what happened he said that his gasoline powered motor that turns the generator to charge the battery so his 12 volt electric fence wood work got to close &
 the exhaust fumes blew it up. same sometimes we spend a fortune to go around the corner thinking we saved in the end

I thought the Amish did not use gas motors.. or electric or something.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »
Different sects have different rules.  Some have no rubber tires, so steel wheels is ok and tractors are used;  some have no self-propelled or powered machinery and so they have a forwarding cart pulled by horses that is ground driven to a PTO to run pull behind equipment;  some have a powered forwarding cart with engine driven PTO all pulled by horses. 

Some are allowed electricity for motors only (barn fans, hay elevators, feed grinders, etc.  but none in the house.

Different strokes for different folks and I don't know why it's that way.  Probably same reason there's a bunch of different Christian based religions all saying they are the only proper one.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
now there's a Amish guy over here that has gas motor running a generator all the time, to power refrigerators to store milk and eggs in to sell
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
An Amish community near us has telephones, both landlines and cell phones. They just can't be IN THE HOME so they power a small outbuilding with a generator and when they make a call they go to the outbuilding for the landline, or outside for a cell call.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 05:30:09 AM »
It's not the rubber tires that Amish don't like.
It's that there God does not want them to trap air.
I don't understand why they use air compressors?
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things