alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: EZ Boardwalk?  (Read 12671 times)

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
EZ Boardwalk?
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
Just Curious if anyone is running an EZ Boardwalk sawmill.  I sold my old mill a few months ago, now I'm having sawdust withdrawal sickness...   I've noticed the EZ 40 is fairly inexpensive to buy, and seem to hold their resale value really well.  I'm not worried about large scale production, and my "friends" have all promised to do the heavy lifting.  I suppose something that cuts well, and is heavily built is all I need.  If you know anything about them, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
Re: EZ Boardwalk?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »
I have a friend that got one a few years back and it's really work well for him.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:10:09 AM »
I've heard from a guy who does sawmill repair, calibration, testing, etc. that said if he had to buy a smaller manual type mill that he'd buy that EZ Boardwalk 40.  He went on to talk about a few of the cool features but I can't remember it all.  Said they were well build and a helluva good deal for the money.  That's good enough for me!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
I'll sell ya mine. Just needs more paint :)

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 06:17:46 AM »
EZ Boardwalk has the best mill for the money out there...  Both the Jr. and 40 models.

The only thing I'd like to see them change is the Roller Guide adjustment ... Total PITA, in my opinion. 

If they went to an adjustment system similar to Cooks or WM, they'd be darn near "perfect" as far as a manual mill goes.
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I think my mind is made up, at least for now.  I like the fact the 40 can handle anything I have, and the price seems more than fair for the quality.  Wondering if Cutting Edge knows the blade size for the 40?  I still have my woodmizer sharpener, and i hope a wheel can be had that would fit the correct blade. 

Thanks, again!
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 06:50:46 AM »

If I was buying a manual mill it would be a EZ 40.   Steve

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »

Wondering if Cutting Edge knows the blade size for the 40?  .......... i hope a wheel can be had that would fit the correct blade. 

Blade - 14'6" (174")

Yes, on the CBN Wheels

Keep in mind, a manual mill is HARD, HARD, HARD on the body.  Even a healthy one.  Even small logs take a toll quick, not to mention the big ones that a EZ 40 will handle.

Even with "buddies" promising to help (if/when they show), getting on/off support equipment, off-bearing slabs/lumber.... all that is involved with producing lumber.  The sawmilling isn't the hard part, it is the physical labor both before and after the sawmill makes a cut that harbors the potential for re-injury.  Even the fanciest portable hydraulic mill lacks the ability to load logs onto it's deck, cant hook logs onto the loader arms, carry slabs in the rack, nor sticker/stack the lumber it cuts.

Can't put a price on your health and it might not be worth the pain in the long run.  If you've already had corrective surgery, I'd think long-n-hard on tearing what was already "fixed" and/or potentially causing irreparable damage.  :'(

Best of luck to you, whatever path you choose to follow.   :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:16:57 PM by Cutting Edge Saw Svc. »
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »

A good sized skid loader with forks of a grapple or both really helps . Even with a chain turner some of the real big one don't want to turn, turn easy with the skid loader.   Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
A machine to handle logs is almost mandatory. I would set up the mill at a handy working Hight with a dead deck the same level as the mill bed. A heavy timber in the mill shed overhead and electric winch for log handling and turning will save your back. Frank C.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 05:09:55 AM »
When I had my manual mill I had it under a shed with an I-beam running the length of the mill with rolls and a chain hoist that I use to turn heavy logs, work great.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »

Keep in mind, a manual mill is HARD, HARD, HARD on the body.  Even a healthy one.  Even small logs take a toll quick, not to mention the big ones that a EZ 40 will handle.

Even with "buddies" promising to help (if/when they show), getting on/off support equipment, off-bearing slabs/lumber.... all that is involved with producing lumber.  The sawmilling isn't the hard part, it is the physical labor both before and after the sawmill makes a cut that harbors the potential for re-injury.  Even the fanciest portable hydraulic mill lacks the ability to load logs onto it's deck, cant hook logs onto the loader arms, carry slabs in the rack, nor sticker/stack the lumber it cuts.

Can't put a price on your health and it might not be worth the pain in the long run.  If you've already had corrective surgery, I'd think long-n-hard on tearing what was already "fixed" and/or potentially causing irreparable damage.  :'(

Best of luck to you, whatever path you choose to follow.   :)

BINGO!!!!

My mill will take a 26" log but anything more than 20" is pushing it for this old guy, yes indeed it can (and is) HARD HARD work! But I'm enjoying it and not going to the lumber yard (big box store) for all my projects!

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »
When I had my manual mill I had it under a shed with an I-beam running the length of the mill with rolls and a chain hoist that I use to turn heavy logs, work great.

I kept thinking this would be a great setup. Just make sure the beam is long enough, pile all the logs right under the beam outside then just pick them up and bring them in as you need them.

I would love that setup. If you make it even longer to go out the other end of the shed can use it to move heavy slabs and timbers after cutting.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
I can appreciate the comments about the HARD, HARD work!  I had a manual mill first, then a TK hydraulic, then a WM hydraulic.  If I could find a used hydraulic at the right price, I'd go that route.  But I've got support equipment, experience, and some pretty good help around the mill.  If I had to go it alone,,,, HELL NO!  But around here, everyone wants their logs milled, and I won't do it without "sweat equity" from the customer.  I just love watching a saw operate, and miss having a mill every waking moment.  I must be a sick man, or a stupid one, I guess...  HAHA

Thanks,
Kojba
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 08:03:53 AM »
You ain't sick OR stupid.

It's called drive.  It's a thing that used to be in basically every man, woman and child up till about 30 years ago.  It's what caused our great nation to rise up from nothing to the best in just a couple hundred years while all the other nations have been around for ages and ages and STILL haven't succeeded.

Yep.  That drive is bred into you. 

I hope you find a mill that fits you.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools