alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Dispatched a beaver..  (Read 24077 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Dispatched a beaver..
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
So a while back while turkey hunting I saw something loping along towards one of my ponds, never saw anything again so I just forgot about it. Then a few weeks ago I saw something swimming in my pond! Then I started noticing the bark being removed from the base of some hardwood trees, mostly sweetgum trees, all the way from the river to my first pond up by the house, about 1/2 a mile or so. Then I saw it again in the pond.. NOT GOOD!
So last night the wife and I sat out on the dock, which we usually do on the weekends, enjoying the quiet and some adult beverages. But this time I brought my binoculars, a tripod, and my little 223 Contender carbine! We sit out there and feed the fish and the turtles and watch the world go by. So we see the interloper in the water off to our right, but when I get up, he spooks and disappeared. 1/2 hour or so later I was scanning the shoreline looking and way off to the left of us, clear across the pond, I see him on the shoreline!!
I get up, readjust my tripod, get a good look at him through the scope to make sure he wasn't our cat and fired one shot!! It was interesting because I had never shot off a floating dock before, so things were not rock solid, there was a bit of rocking going on. He was not moving a bunch so I had time to concentrate on shot placement. Well bang flop and he was down! I hauled him off this morning, weighed him first at 20 pounds, lasered the shot at 114 yards... hope he was the only one, but I'll keep my eyes open.

I deleted my photobucket account due to their new policy's so sorry, no pics. Haven't figured out how to do that yet... someday..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: Dispatched a beaver..
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
Damn beavers can disrupt an entire ecosystem while creating another one.  So is it good or bad?  Depends on where you're sitting, huh?  I guess if you have a swamp and want a pond it would be good.  But if you have a crick and like it that way with all your trees healthy and living then it's bad!

I've seen beavers up here so big it's almost unbelievable.  Like around 50 pounds, maybe more! - I shit you not.  Like around the size of a 30 gallon drum, maybe a touch bigger?  I remember thinking I never knew they could get so big - always thought they were basically a swimming woodchuck with a big flat tail.  They don't look so big from afar but when you go up to where they were gnawing and compare sizes of animal and tree, then your eyes open wider and wider, and see the size of the chips laying around you almost hope the thing don't try to attack you!  Damn thing'll kill ya easy if he wanted I bet!  lol
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »
I kind of like the place the way it is, got a couple ponds, and a swamp that used to be a pond, and a creek that runs all the way through all of them, and I kinda want it to stay that way!

I used to go to the Boundary waters on the border of Minnesota and Canada and the beavers there were huge also, I know what you are talking about.

It didn't take long for this thing to tear up a bunch of trees, I'm thinking he was planning ahead.. All he did was remove the bark around the base, nothing else! That way these trees will die, so now I'm going to have to figure out how to get to some of them way back where they are so I can get them out of the woods... too much fire wood (and maybe some lumber) to just let them rot away in the woods!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »
I just remembered a neighbor put a $100.00 bounty on them varmints, be good beer money. Frank C.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:33:03 AM »
I just remembered a neighbor put a $100.00 bounty on them varmints, be good beer money. Frank C.

How do I collect??  >:D

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:42:24 AM »
Anywhere a beaver is born, at some point in his or her life, they'll come back to that exact spot to have their own young, so after a few batches of little ones, you've got 20-40 years worth of grief ahead of you dealing with beavers. 

Beavers are the greatest gift you can give your worst enemy, its a gift that keeps on giving for decades to come, if they neglect them long enough, maybe even a century to come.     

Just for what its worth, 100 bucks is really cheap for every beaver, once damage is done and I get called in and heavy equipment is required to repair the damage or try to eliminate the beavers, the price starts in the thousands and goes up pretty fast.   

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:07:31 AM »
Yeah, we've been here for 5 years and this is the first beaver we've had.. hopefully its the last also, but I'll surely keep a lookout!!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
simply live trapping the beaver and relocating would be a better way to deal with " your" unwanted guest. or at the very least don't post your big thrilling hunt for all the world to see. just my opinion
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »
simply live trapping the beaver and relocating would be a better way to deal with " your" unwanted guest. or at the very least don't post your big thrilling hunt for all the world to see. just my opinion

Well I guess I could go out and buy a trap for a couple hundred dollars, then do some research on setting it, eventually catch the pesky little booger... then I’d have to figure out a place to release it ( your place maybe?) I know none of my neighbors want it!!
Or, I could spend about 16 cents on a 223 round , spend a relaxing afternoon on my dock and fix the problem permanently and go feed it to the coyotes and be done , and not worry that he may remember my pristine pond and return.
Yep I think I’ll do it my way, if you don’t want to read about it, that’s fine

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 08:55:41 PM »
My wife hatched over 60 chicks this summer we sold 12 got probbly 15 left. She went hunting found 2 black snakes in coop with dead chicks. she carrys a 22 revolver on the farm shot both of them . they were over 6' long. I wonder how many eggs they ate to get that big,we cut them open they were full of eggs & dead chicks & had more dead chicks on floor.
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »
i was trying to load picture but file to large mabe later
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 07:16:44 AM »
i was trying to load picture but file to large mabe later

Nice job by the wife!!

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on posting pics here anymore.. :(

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »
What is it that you find so difficult? 
1.The size requirement?
2. or the mechanics of actually putting them in the gallery? 
3. or the linking the gallery to the post?

I will agree that it is a bit more cumbersome than just putting them as the post directly but like on some sites but it is not that hard once you understand the process it just takes a couple more clicks.  Actually the gallery method used here is about equally common as the other method on most of the forums I belong to.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
After having put up some pics I'll say that if one was to do it every week or so it'd be easy.  But every time I do it it's like learning all over again!  Too much other stuff cramping my memory and not near enough frequency to remember.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 07:15:03 AM »
^^^^^

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
What is it that you find so difficult? 
1.The size requirement?
2. or the mechanics of actually putting them in the gallery? 
3. or the linking the gallery to the post?

I will agree that it is a bit more cumbersome than just putting them as the post directly but like on some sites but it is not that hard once you understand the process it just takes a couple more clicks.  Actually the gallery method used here is about equally common as the other method on most of the forums I belong to.

#1 is my problem changing size
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 02:24:16 AM »
@mike p

If you go through the following post it is pretty much a cookbook/recipe for how to do it.  It being the re-sizing needed and the picture posting. 
Kirk has increased the allowable size since this thread was done but the smaller size works fine.

http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,1671.0.html

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
so a week later and many clicks, you might get a pic up... maybe..

And you have to get the manual out every time you want to do it...  pass

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Sorry you have not been successful at doing it. 
I find that it averages well  under 2 minutes from start to finish to resize and upload a photo to the gallery in nearly all cases.   
Finding the photo on my computer that I want to use is what takes time for me.
Once in a while I will have a photo that has a pixelation issue if I compress it too much but that is rare.  With the new size limit that does not happen anymore.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 07:45:29 AM »
Sorry you have not been successful at doing it. 
I find that it averages well  under 2 minutes from start to finish to resize and upload a photo to the gallery in nearly all cases.   
Finding the photo on my computer that I want to use is what takes time for me.
Once in a while I will have a photo that has a pixelation issue if I compress it too much but that is rare.  With the new size limit that does not happen anymore.

Not really unsuccessful, just seemed like too much of a project so I never tried...

Someday when I have an afternoon free I might try it... you know me, I like posting pics..

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
Well, I hope you do.  It seems a bit tedious, but once you get the rhythm down it ain't so bad really.  Resizing the pics was the worst for me.  Kind of trial and error to get the biggest size without going over.  I couldn't get the program that furu mentioned for resizing pictures to work for me this second time around.  Don't know why.  Wouldn't load properly or something, but found a free online pic resizing tool that you didn't need to download and worked in real time.  Drag pic over to other screen, put in box, type in percentage of original pic you want and keep doing that until it's below the size limit for this site, then drag back to your pic folder and drop.  I'm not much help beyond this point.  But DO read furu's post on posting pics - it works good that way.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
Curious what  online pic resizing site are you using? What is the URL?

Yes the program I use I just tell it what size (Kb) I want and it resizes it to that number of kilobytes

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
I think it was this one, but not totally sure anymore:

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
So back to the beavers I say, back to the beavers...

So since this post was active I've had 2 more beavers to deal with!! So ZERO in the first 4 years we were here and now 3 in the last year! Seems whenever we get a big storm with lots of rain and my river bottom floods I have a good chance to get a beaver in here. Now the pond the beavers end up in are 3/4 of a mile up a small spring fed creek that runs from my pond down to the river bottoms. Seems strange they come this far up, and strange I didn't get any the first 4 years..
Sorry, no pics but I'll not get into that whole thing again! >:D