alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What do you think about this jack for a toe board lift?  (Read 20495 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
What do you think about this jack for a toe board lift?
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »
So I'm trying to upgrade the jack I'm using for a toeboard jack on my manual mill. Currently I'm just using a small hydraulic floor jack which can be a pain to operate under the mill. Was looking at a scissor jack but with the screw in the middle, it goes up with the jack making its use limited. This one, actually a motorcycle lift, has the screw at the top so it would start above the rails (and below the bunks) and go up from there, giving it more room to move. The only problem I see is the 1100 pound rating... BUT... I don't do monster logs as I don't have the peripheral equipment to move them anyway and I'm just a one old man wrecking crew.. AND... even on some of my larger logs, they may get to that 2000 pound range, but I'm only picking up one end, so half (ish) the weight right??? The little crank handle comes off so you can use a ratchet and socket, or maybe a impact driver.
So what do you think??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1100-LB-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Scissor-Jack-Mini-Motorcycle-Lift-Crank-Floor-Stand-Red/202163207021?epid=25012170773&hash=item2f11ddbb6d:g:iQsAAOSwmK9dQklF:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!29067!US!-1

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
Re: What do you think about this jack for a toe board lift?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 06:06:57 AM »
Another option with a greater weight capacity and higher lift at Harbor Freight and you can use a 20% off coupon.  Not sure if you have one close to you.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html?_br_psugg_q=scissor+jack

I do like that the one you linked to has larger top and bottom plates for mounting.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 06:56:45 AM »
Another option with a greater weight capacity and higher lift at Harbor Freight and you can use a 20% off coupon.  Not sure if you have one close to you.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html?_br_psugg_q=scissor+jack

I do like that the one you linked to has larger top and bottom plates for mounting.

Thanks..
That was my first thought, bought that exact one. It would not fit between the rails on my saw, its 24" wide and I have about 21" between the rails, had to take it back. I just ordered the one I listed above, should be here next week, we'll see how it does.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
It'll likely work fine as long as it fits in your mill.

For the last 4 years I've been using a little scissors jack out of a Toyota Corolla.  Most of my red pine is so straight there's hardly any taper to it anyway, so adjusting for log taper before milling rarely occurs for me.  Just once in a great while.  Crank it up, set clamps and saw away.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
If you use an impact driver on it make sure it is lubed extremely well. But minimize the use. It will strip the threaded rod and make the jack unusable.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
When you get that can you tell me what they used for the threaded rod? I want to make a pair of those for my mill. But the crank will be on the bottom and I will extend it out both sides so I can raise and lower it from both sides of the mill.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 07:17:46 AM »
When you get that can you tell me what they used for the threaded rod? I want to make a pair of those for my mill. But the crank will be on the bottom and I will extend it out both sides so I can raise and lower it from both sides of the mill.

I can do that.
 I kind of like the crank on top, it'll start out above the side rails, and it will keep junk off the threaded rod some.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 07:19:25 AM »
If you use an impact driver on it make sure it is lubed extremely well. But minimize the use. It will strip the threaded rod and make the jack unusable.

I'll probably just use a ratchet and a socket or a speed bar depending on how hard it is to turn.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »
Speed bar probably work great till the log starts to lift. If you use a drill that will probably work fine just do not use something with hammer action thats what kills the threads.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »

So, what exact info are you looking for on that threaded rod?

Not sure how to post pics here anymore...

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 06:57:06 AM »
Diameter and thread pitch.

Is it acme thread? or is it like a 1/2" x 16?

If it is only 1/2 x 16 you could probably increase the capacity by just upgrading the threaded rod.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 07:07:18 AM »
Diameter and thread pitch.

Is it acme thread? or is it like a 1/2" x 16?

If it is only 1/2 x 16 you could probably increase the capacity by just upgrading the threaded rod.

Ok, I'm not a machinist type so you lost me a little.. I'm thinking an acme thread I'll go look closer here in a bit. I can get dia easy, how to measure thread "pitch" or are you just talking TPI?
The thread is a larger diameter than the rod is I know that as the last couple inches have no threads.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »
yes, TPI. aka thread pitch.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »
Shaft is 1/2" , threaded part of it is a touch over 9/16 (thinking metric) , definitely acme type threads, and best I can figure about 12 TPI.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 06:55:39 AM »
Sounds a little heavier than a standard scissor jack. Thanks for the info. I may end up buying one or maybe 2 so I can have one on each end. otherwise I get one and make a tray I can set them in and move it as needed. Only issue with that is trying to shift the log, the jack will fall over.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »
Sounds a little heavier than a standard scissor jack. Thanks for the info. I may end up buying one or maybe 2 so I can have one on each end. otherwise I get one and make a tray I can set them in and move it as needed. Only issue with that is trying to shift the log, the jack will fall over.

Yes the jack does seem pretty heavy duty, way more so than your normal scissors jack, and at 50 bucks I think not a bad deal.. now if it will cool off a bit I'll go give it a try! ;D

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 08:19:41 AM »
I finally got some time to work on my log arch yesterday.

Whats funny is every time I see the forecast and say "Man its gonna be hot. Looks like a great video game and AC weekend" I always get more done outside on those weekends. but nobody ever accused me of being very bright :)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
I finally got some time to work on my log arch yesterday.

Whats funny is every time I see the forecast and say "Man its gonna be hot. Looks like a great video game and AC weekend" I always get more done outside on those weekends. but nobody ever accused me of being very bright :)
Supposed to be 90 today, not bad, but the humidity was at 98% when I woke up... that's the killer, not so much the heat. These are the days I have to alter my plans a bit.. real hot days I like to mow.. just driving around instead of manual labor! seems to work for me.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 06:31:16 AM »
A.O. get a chance to try the jack yet? They look really nice in the pictures. I am always leary buying something I can build myself. But that sure looks nice. Be great to put a set of rollers on top for shifting the log.

What do you think of them?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »
Hopefully it is good. I just ordered one. I did see some reviews though. About having to fix it to make it work. Oh well the $45 it is costing me will more than pay for the materials if I were to build it.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 12:43:39 PM »
That's common with Harbor Freight, and that's probably nothing new to any of us.  One must be ready to fit, fix and polish what is provided to you as a rough draft.  Is what it is!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
I should have clarified. I bought the ebay one.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
I have not used mine for its intended purpose as of yet, hopefully later this week. My only concern really is its rated weight capacity. I'm thinking I'll leave the dogs on the top spread all the way to the ends and the log can sit between them and keep it captive somewhat.
Let me know what you think when you get it.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 08:30:09 AM »
Definitely. Since we are getting close to the interim season between summer and snow called mud, I will be needing to find something to entertain myself. So hopefully I can get around to actually doing a real writeup on some of my projects and getting them posted on my website.

Be nice to get my site updated and get my hits back up where they used to be.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »
Definitely. Since we are getting close to the interim season between summer and snow called mud, I will be needing to find something to entertain myself. So hopefully I can get around to actually doing a real writeup on some of my projects and getting them posted on my website.

Be nice to get my site updated and get my hits back up where they used to be.

Yeah, I still have at least another month of 90's and humidity before it ever even thinks of cooling off here in SC!