alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What do you think about this jack for a toe board lift?  (Read 20536 times)

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: What do you think about this jack for a toe board lift?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
So I got a chance to mount and use this jack today. Only one log but it seemed to work real well!! Easy to crank up with weight on it and I was even able to turn the log with it still up on the jack instead of having to lower it, roll log, and re-raise the jack. the top is slippery enough to roll that log just like it was on one of the bunks. If it holds up, I think it will work out fine on my little manual mill.

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »
I got mine on friday. I like it just need to get time to mount it and test it for real.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
So I've used this a bunch (for me anyway) and it works very well. Have not had a log it wouldn't pick up with just the speedbar so it has plenty of leverage. Gave it a pretty good test a couple weeks ago, took the tops of 9 trees 16 feet long with a pretty good taper and milled them into 6x6s. Worked very well using this jack as a toeboard! Yes , happy with the application!

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »
I forgot about this thread. I meant to comment on the same jack that I had purchased. I rigged up my mill with a couple of ratchet straps  to set the jack on. worked very well. Even with the cheezy little handle they give you.

After the testing on the mill I ended up using the jack to help me get a 12' long x 22" diameter walnut log off the trailer. This log was fresh cut and still had water running out of it. I only have a 28hp Kubota and the tractor was unable to lift the log. I wrapped a chain around each end of the log and hooked to my chain loops on my bucket. I lifted as far as the tractor would go. I managed to get just enough space under the log I could jam the scissor jack under it.

Once the scissor jack was centered under the log I began to crank it up using the cheezy little handle that came with it. I was actually quite impressed with how easy it was to raise the log. I would raise the log then lift the bucket, then raise the log, then lift the bucket. I did this until I was just high enough to clear the fender. Then I was able to get the log off the trailer.

Of course now I did not want to put the log down knowing I could not pick it back up again so onto the mill it went. Made some real nice 2" slabs.