alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Blade Speed.  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Thoner7

• New Contributor
Blade Speed.
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
I've been doing some reading and research before I try and build my own smaller, home owner level sawmill.  I've read that people say 4500 feet per second as a minimum. 

But as I've looked at the commercially available mills, those speeds seem too fast.  Most of the homeowner Hudson models have a 4" clutch to a 16" bandwheel.  Others go to a 16" driven pulley and then 19 Bandwheel.  Woodmizer LT15, Timberking 1220, Woodland Mills, they all seem to have that sort of ratio.  With a gas motor with a max 3600 RPM I'm only coming up with 3700-4475 fps even at the max rpm of 3600

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: Blade Speed.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
I have 19" wheels with 4" clutch with a 14" driven pulley. no idea what it works out to besides "cuts good" :)

Offline Thoner7

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:55:49 AM »
Is your machine home made?  What HP motor and what's your width of cut?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 09:42:03 AM »
Mine's just under 4" driven pulley to 19" wheels and "cuts good" too.  Homemade from a kit.  Max width is something a little more than 2 feet I think.  It's been awhile and now I've forgotten all the particulars.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 09:05:05 AM »
I've been doing some reading and research before I try and build my own smaller, home owner level sawmill.  I've read that people say 4500 feet per second as a minimum. 

It is dependant on how many HP you are planning to use.
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site