alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: My own pig roast  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
My own pig roast
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:49 AM »
This last weekend my son got married in the back yard at our house.  His new wife is from the Philippines and always wanted a traditional pig roast for the reception so we did it.

I was going to order the hog, dig the pit, build the fire and do the pig and serve it.

Info from the web and local butcher shop lays out the plan for a 3 foot deep by 6 foot wide and 8 foot long pit and about 1/2 cord of wood to burn.  Then you need some kind of rack for the pig and something to cover it with to keep the smoke in.  This was not a real appealing idea (at 18" deep I have a layers of boulders) but I had kind of promissed. 

Then I found out that the butcher would season it, smoke it and deliver it nice and hot for $80,  What a deal!!  Then the wife found out that they would serve it for a fee and signed up for that.  (She's just lazy!)

It was great.  We had about 80 people show up and everybody loved it.  We'd expected about 120 people so we have lots of left overs.

Oh and the son did get married (that was before the pig) and will now live happily ever after and we got a bonus in a new (to us) grand daughter about 9 years old.  And they will be living just close enough to visit.   Life is good.   
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: My own pig roast
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
Sounds like quite the time.  Nothing better than fresh pig meat!

Congrats on the family additions!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
Geeeee I might have to visit Lyons for leftovers. ;D

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »
Sounds like good fun and digestable entertainment.... :D :D :D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »
Tell me  when you're coming.  I've even got some of their special BBQ sauce and we can make sloppy pigs (Joes?)
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!