alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: hardwood prices  (Read 8467 times)

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
hardwood prices
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »
Can anyone give me the current price of S1S1E random width oak, maple, ash,  or other hardwoods? or direct me to a good site for a mill or mills that sell/ship directly to the end user with out going through 15 middle men brokers.
"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: hardwood prices
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
Where are you located?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Oh sorry it isnt in my profile! I live in south central Alaska. We only have a few tree species here. Birch, spruce, cottonwood/poplar, some alder but in this area its small as is the willow. The box stores carry oak and maple for about 8-8.50

Would green lumber make the trip?

Shipping may kill me, I'm just fishing at this point. 

I will fix my profile. Thanks

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
Dont have any prices for that spec but I think the best bet is air dried or kiln dried for the trip and finish it at your location.   

I have looked into a box car (semi-trailer) load shipped to Anchorage and that was about 5K a few years ago for all you could fit in the trailer. 

How much wood are you looking for?  I have air dried white oak, red oak, maple, ash, walnut, cherry, American Elm etc.  Prices for that stuff ranges from $1.00 a BF to $5.00 depending on species.  To make it worth while I would think it would take a trailer full.  Now would also be the time since fuel prices have dropped quite a bit. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
Quantity? That just depends on many factors. Like I said I'm fishing at this point. If I invested say 1.00 and put 1.00 more in shipping and added 2.00 value with finishing and sold it quickly for a profit then we're cooking with oil. It's all just economics. I may have to make some trips myself if it's worth the investment. I can drive down, buy a trailer, or bring mine loaded, let my wife visit her mom in Streator,Illinois. load up and head back. My trailer will tote about 5 tons although I hate to load it that heavy for a long haul. I think thats about 3000 bdft @ 40#/ft3. I have to make some trips down to Illinois and to texas/okla too. May as well try and make a buck while I'm at it.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
When you take the trip, Mic, stop here and you can haul a load East for sale and then haul some back North on your way home.   If I know what you might like we can have it ready for both directions.  I can also load you up with some very nice Maple burl. ;D