alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: basically done  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
basically done
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
I have decided that with the completion of 3, very small sawing jobs, I am finished for the season.  I have way too much on my table, let alone a plate to do justice to anymore sawing jobs.  I have around 150 cords of firewood to produce or lose it to rot and a large quantity of my own logs to saw for lumber to sell.  So, no more outside sawing will be accepted. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:02:07 AM by Frank Pender »

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
Re: basically done
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
I no more made that commitment and three folks wanted work done.  I am sending someone to a site, that travels with their mill.  I told another about our member SteveM and he seems interested.   (Steve, you may well get a call from Corvallis area.)  Sometimes it is hard to say no, but I am learning. 

Offline Murf

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
One of the topics covered in the business courses I took while getting my 'higher edjumikashon' was about the common mistakes and problems in small businesses.

The course was being taught by a prof. who had written several books o the subject, and was also a consultant to one of the big banks. Banks know little businesses that succeed become big customers one day.

He emphasized the top mistake made by small business was what he called "The 'yes-man' syndrome".

A small business (especially a young business) owner is so focused on succeeding that they are afraid to say "no" when a customer asks them to do something for fear that the phone might not ring tomorrow.

The problem is the business soon becomes so swamped in work that production drops dramatically because vast amounts of time are being spent either explaining to existing customers why the work is late, or talking to new prospective customers they don't have the capacity to service anyways.

Unfortunately at that point in the businesses life cycle it rarely has the ability to bring on new staff or equipment to handle the influx of new work. The result is usually a bad one.

It is supposedly the number one cause of failure in start-up companies.

His advice was if you know enough about the work to go into business for yourself in the first place, then you know enough about the work to decide how much you can handle also.

A customer would rather you declined a job in the first place than take the job knowing you can't do it and fail to meet expectations and deadlines.

Think of it this way. Two slightly different versions of the same situation;

One: You go to a restaurant and the food smells wonderful and the place looks great, but the staff tells you their quite sorry, but it will be at least an hour for you to get a table, and even then the kitchen is swamped and the service will be slow.

Two: Same great restaurant, except this time you are seated without a word about the workload. After an hour of sipping a glass of water you finally snag a server. You order and get a fresh glass of water. Another hour later you again snag the server and they tell you something like "Yeah, sorry, it's really crazy in here tonight. The kitchen is going like crazy. I'll see how far along your meal is." then disappears again.

Which restaurant are you likely to go back to, and which will you warn your friends about going anywhere near?  ::)

A sawmill, or anything else is no different. There's a reason it's called a "service industry". People expect service, not excuses.

And that concludes todays free business lecture........

I hope you got your moneys worth out of it!!  ;)
Don't blame me for Murphy's Law, I'm a victim too!!!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the referal Frank.  No phone calls yet.  As far as sawing I'm in a slack time, been working on an addition to the house and other honey dews.

Do have a picture I need to get on here of a Little D. Fir I just cut for some siding I needed, 74" on the big end x 9'.  The other half is still waiting to get cut.

I can see what you're saying Murf.  I've also seen people s t r e c h what they and their equipment can do to get a job and then can't perform as required.  And saying NO could be the better part of sanity, but saying yes might give you reason to buy more new equipment.  Hmmmm! 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »
You are so corect Murf.  That is exactly why I do not hire people to work for me, the liability and safety issues are also prime reason for no hires.