alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Western Red Cedar Share Cutting  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Western Red Cedar Share Cutting
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
I spent the whole day yesterday cutting for one of the Power Company Line-men.

He had 12 pole pieces of WRC that he wanted cut into siding.  I figured, no problem.  We will be done in an a couple hours.  Turns out he wanted 3/8ths inch cuts :o  I am hear to tell you, cutting 3/8ths inch boards out of these poles took some time!  Couple that with the fact that he wanted them 4", 6", and  8", wide we ended up doing lots of triming from the larger poles.  Most of the larger ones were 18" poles. 

In exchange for cutting them, he provided SYP poles.  There hard to see but the are stacked behind the trailer about 60 feet.  He skidded them up to the mill with his 4 wheeler adn we bucked them to size there. 

We bucked the long ones into 16 footers and the what was left mostly made 13 footers.  A small pile of shorts was also included and those made great 8-9 foot boards.  I cut it all into 2x6 material and a few 2x4's. 

This is the pile of 16', 13', and 8' boards.  All "clear" Souther Yellow Pine! 

The exciting part was not just the lumber but getting a weeks worth of fuel for the Biomizer!  At the end of the day we had 22 bags of sawdust!  Its dry and ready to burn!

We started cutting at 7 am and finished his WRC at 11:30.  He got two whopping pickup truck beds full of siding boards.  It was rather comical considering he thought he would be lucky to get 8 boards from each log/pole.  Turns out the guy he use to have cut for him wasted a ton of material.  At the end of the day he was more than pleased and I was tickled pink!  These were by far the best SYP I have ever been lucky enough to cut into and they made awesome lumber! 

For those that noticed, yes, that is the infamous home built trailer that some said would never work.  ;D  Chock up another succesfull load of lumber hauled on the trailer that could!  ;D :D 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Western Red Cedar Share Cutting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »
When I get into those kinds of deals, I tell folks it will cost you at least 20% more/