alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: First time milling lumber! (pics to come)  (Read 33415 times)

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
Re: First time milling lumber! (pics to come)
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
from the log I described how much do you think it would be per log?
btw, we need 80 but they say to get 20 extra just in case.
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
I need the butt and top specs as well as the length.  Did I miss them someplace earlier?

You can be a bit particular right now, as the price of logs is down and we could be very selective in logs and who we deal with.  I do need the other two specs for dimensions.  The top and bottom sizes in diameter is what I need.  I will need the plus/minus amounts as well.  For example if the tops need to be a minimum of 10" what are the plus minus sizes?

Have you allowed for trim on the logs wanted at 35 feet or do you need them longer?

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »
I don't know what plus/minus sizes are but I can tell you that the small end of the log (I guess at chest height?) needs to be a minimum of 12". Anything between 12"-20" for the small end of log is fine as long as they're for the most part consistent.
The cabin is going to be 30x30 so yes 35ft includes the extra length.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »
So, the large end can be between 12 and 20 inches and the small end can be between 12 and 20 inches Correct?

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
Sure, I just realized that I said 12-20" at chest height but that would be the large end.... As long as the small end is at least 12" I don't mind how big the large end is. How do you have conrol over it anyway? I'd like them to be straight and consistent as much as possible. It's ok if they're at the small end 12-14" or 16-18" as long as all of them are within that range... if that's possible? Another thing, if they were 16-18" at the small end then I wouldn't need 100 logs... I would need maybe 75 or 80 at that size.

Btw, I just realized that you're in oregon and i'm in NY .... Do you have any ball park figures as to what it would cost to ship that kind of lumber all the way across america?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:04:10 AM by Steve G. »

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »
The cheapest might be by way of the Panama Canal.  I am not sure on the costs, but will try a couple sources for such an activit

You will have to give me  few days to scrounge up the tree source and costs on this end and then we can begin the calculations for shipping, to come up with a total.