alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Is Bigger Better?  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Rock

• New Contributor
Is Bigger Better?
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »
I guess this is maybe more for hobbyists than for the pros but all info is welcome. What  is the smallest diameter you'd normally cut on your mill? Are there limits on the machines? Will you just not get anything useful out of, for example, an 8" tree/branch?

Curious like a cat,
Charlie

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Is Bigger Better?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:39:40 PM »
Small stuff eats up time with little lumber to show for it but from a hobby standpoint, I have cut up 6" specialty logs like Persimon, Apple, etc. 

The challenge with getting usefull lumber out of small logs is getting it dried flat.  That small stuff love to cup.  Another challenge is getting boards that provide usefull widths.  an 8" branch is going to be lucky to produce a couple 6" boards.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »
I have made some pretty nice 6x6's from larger limbs, and you might be surprised how nice of turning stock you can get, if you have a wood lathe. And welcome to the forum!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
I have a Lucas Swing mill and bigger is much better especially if I'm sawing by the board foot.  Prefer 12++ inches up to about 45".  I can cut huge but things get a lot slower over about 50"
One of the problems with a swing mill is keeping small logs stable.  You have to lock them down and it takes at least 2"s to get a good bite with my "dogs".  Not a big deal on larger logs but I'd only saw small ones if they were high value to me and/or the owner of the tree/limb.  I can do it but I waste a lot of wood on the small stuff and that hurts my feelings.  I hate to see the slab pile bigger than the lumber stack. 
Band mills do a lot better on small stuff. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »
I prefer at least eight inches on the small end.  I have cut some smaller, but only for the emotional value to the owner.   I do not like the smaller logs due to the same as Kirk was saying, time is the value that is of the greatest loss as a commercial sawyer.

Like Steve I can cut a log that is up to four and a half feet in diameter and 18' long.