alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: carbon credits  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
carbon credits
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
Well, I am off to a three day conference I was invited to attend, by the "Cow College", to discuss and learn about carbon credits for forest land owners in Oregon and across the country.  I understand that there is such a program in some European countries.  Perhaps I will become better informed in three days about both locations. 

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Re: carbon credits
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
I have been interested but gun shy to be locked down by the long term contracts & for a gov program to tell me how to manage my trees
but im gov parinoid
LEARN A BUNCH SO WE can get your educatemecated opion
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
We could sell our carbon credits on our no till land but have not done so yet. 

To me its nothing more than a paper shuffle that does nothing to truly reduce emissions.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
Wel, Mike and Kirk, after 4 days of indense workshop presentations with a very diverse group of folks, I am about ready to agree with the both of you.  This is only the first of several that will be taking place and there is much fall out to deal with in the whole process.  We dis learn how to determin the volume of tonage per per a specific plot and all, both old growth Douglas Fir/ Hemlock stand and a 40 year old plantation site.   In both sites we learned to include the large and fallen materials all the way to the duff, being measured for carbon deteriation.  Some of the logs I measured in one old growth plot measured well of 4' in diameter and very, very l o n g.

The way the measureing works is that any fallen of standing dead material is counted against the standing live masterial.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
i never understood how that being sequestered by a corp. helped the air quality

& how much control of my timber would i be loseing to gov.
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »
It doesnt help the air quality.  What is happening, thanks to the Keoto treaty or what ever its called, a company who has hit their limit of emissions can buy carbon credits from me, you, etc, and now with those credits they can emit more into the air. 

Makes no sense at all.  Just because I sold the carbon credits on my ground, the stuff is still lying on the ground and doing nothing to change anything related to the emissions. 

The owner of the Weather Channel was suing Al Gore for financial fraud over the carbon credit issues becuase he knows good and well that selling them doesn nothing to change emissions. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:20:34 PM »
I am with you on the not helping idea, for sure, Kirk.  Much of this is just getting a start, out here on the Left Coast.  As to the value of the trees, much is to be seen, or absorbed. ;D