alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Freedom Of Speech  (Read 15047 times)

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
  • I am not a moderator, I am a meditator
    • www.cliffordrenovations.com
Freedom Of Speech
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day about the subject.
The case about Imus came up and what he said over the air and then his firing...and then his re-hiring.

While I hated what he said and I pretty much don't like the guy anyway I do/did think he had the right to say what he wanted. If viewer/listeners wanted to boycott him or turn the dial that'd be up to them.

Howard Stern who I do admittingly listen to has had a regular guest on thats one of the heads of the KKK. Howard allows him to spew the hatrid he has for blacks and Jews and gays and.....
What it ends up doing is it shows how ignorant people are. Daniel (the KKK guy) is seen as the fool he is. If not for that freedom of speech that Howard allows on the air the public remains innocent of the pure hatrid that exists. Allowing him to speak shows the true colors of hatrid. From what I've experianced its allowed Daniel to make a mockery of himself without even knowing it. He's exposed himself for what he is.

And what about freedom of speech on the internet. How far do you think we can go. Its a whole other medium.

Here's a pretty good article I was reading a couple of weeks ago.
What do you think?

Ten years since Supreme Court upheld Internet freedom of speech
By Nate Anderson | Published: June 26, 2007 - 12:11PM CT

Today is the ten-year anniversary of the Supreme Court decision striking down the Communications Decency Act—a landmark ruling for Internet freedom of speech. Thanks to the decision, the Internet (in the US) now enjoys the same freedom of speech protections as print and remains more open than either television or radio. On the tenth anniversary of the decision, let's take a quick look back.

The Communications Decency Act was passed in 1996. The goal was to protect children from harmful content on the Internet, which sounds great in theory but turns out to be terribly difficult to implement in practice. Many groups believed that the CDA was overly vague and could restrict all sorts of legitimate speech between adults, and the ACLU took the lead in the legal challenge to the law.

The case worked its way up to the Supreme Court, where it became the first Internet-related case addressed by the Court. Reno v. ACLU was decided on June 26, 1997, and it struck down major sections of the CDA.

The Court found that the law was imprecise; regulating speech generally requires highly-specific controls, and the text of the law did not meet that standard. The CDA did not define "indecent" and "patently offensive," nor did it include the caveat that "patently offensive" material with some socially redeeming value would be allowed. The justices found that filtering on the user end (that is, by parents) was a less-troubling method of filtering out unwanted Internet content.

But if radio and television can be regulated, why can't the same regulations apply to the Internet? The justices found that the two mediums are quite different; spectrum for over-the-air radio and television signals is limited, for instance, and expensive to use (setting up a large-scale transmitter in studio costs serious money), making "speech" over the airwaves available to only a privileged few. By contrast, the Internet is so simple and inexpensive to use as a publishing medium that it deserves the same First Amendment protection as print.

The ruling was a strong statement of support for freedom of expression on the Internet at a time when the Web was just entering mainstream consciousness. The EFF's David Sobel, a co-counsel in the case, said yesterday that "the Reno decision defined the First Amendment for the 21st century. The Court wrote on a clean slate and established the fundamental principles that govern free speech issues in the electronic age."

Congress attempted to craft a better bill soon after, passing the Child Online Protection Act the following year, but it too was never enforced. Tied up by the same legal challenges that derailed the CDA, COPA met the same fate as its predecessor earlier this year when a federal judge ruled that the bill was unconstitutional.

Further reading:

More than you ever wanted to know about the CDA from the ACLU
The Supreme Court decision striking down the CDA
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:49:02 PM by andybuildz »
The secret to Zen in just "two" words is, "not always so".
       http://HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Freedom Of Speech
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
Freedom of Speach.  What a concept. :)  One that some folks feel so threatened by they try to get an attorney to find a way to shut you up.  Not happening here!  :) 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »
Freedom of Speach.  What a concept. :)  One that some folks feel so threatened by they try to get an attorney to find a way to shut you up.  Not happening here!  :) 

Well what that ends up doing is makes it worse for the accusers...just like what it's done for Daniel and the KKK group. Exposes them and their people for what they really are.
True winners have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. No reason to try and shut you or me up.
That sure can bring a lot of negitive attention their way. Word travels fast...'specially over the internet.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
Word travels very fast over the internet.  You cant silence truth and once its out, it will spread.  When people fear information getting out or shared then one should ask, why are they afraid?  Maybe, just maybe its because they need to be afraid.  Way to many people hoodwinked by self created Kingdoms. 

Truth!  What a concept :) 

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »
Word travels very fast over the internet.  You cant silence truth and once its out, it will spread.  When people fear information getting out or shared then one should ask, why are they afraid?  Maybe, just maybe its because they need to be afraid.  Way to many people hoodwinked by self created Kingdoms. 

Truth!  What a concept :) 

I'm not so sure people need to afraid as much as needing to become more conscious about change and awareness which is one of the same.
People grow in awareness not in fear. Everything negative is contemptous IMO. In all actuality its the failure of (ego)yourself to recognize growth and allow yourself to flourish the way you were meant to...the way we were all meant to.

I do think good people see that eventually. The more conscious the person...the faster they see it.
The less conscious the more we see it in them. The happier that makes us the worse off we really are. Its all a mirror. Its how much smoke we "let" blow in front of it that makes us who we are.

We all have choices.

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »
One thing thats helped me let go of anger and frustration over the years was learning to meditate and practicing that every single day. Doesn't have to be spiritual although it certainly can be....and actually...meditation in of it self IS a spiritual "tool". It reminds us whats important.
Our breath. Our here and now...not yesterday or in five minutes. Its all we have and its up to us to fertilize what we've been given.....fertilize it with the good sh!d though...lol.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 06:28:52 AM »
WELL i allways told my scouts never say anything you wouldnt repeat to your mom or grandmom
i guess some of those mom's were rough around the mouth
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
Mike I wish more parents would learn that little peice of advice you give to the scouts.  The kids learn it from somwhere, and sure we can blame TV etc, but parents have a responsibility to parent! 

I have heard parents at our local school that would make a drunk sailor feel bad.  The very words they use are imbedded in their kids, most of the time.  Always exceptions. 

I know a pastors kid that learned well, with a sad twist.  He learned how to lead people and convince them to give their money to him, and he is not a pastor.  Lots of those types around who have no concious when it come to the term "Self".  Its all about them, and it seems to be those very types that attempt to silence others freedom of speech.  Why?  Fear of exposure, which directly effects their ability to hoodwink people into giving them their money.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
Kirk, it is not just dollars, but time that is given as well as gifts that are asked for and taken.  Then, those things are done away with in a manner that was not the intent of the gifts or time. 
Perhaps the one that bothers me the most is the giving of yourself in the form of your reputation to promote or help someone else and that gift is used without conscience thought, or thanks.  It is always, give me, give me.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
Very well put Frank. 

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
Wasnt it the ancient French author who said,

"I detest what you say....and will fight to my death your right to say it"?

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »
Buzz, it wa Voltair, and he lost his life in saying so.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
It makes you wonder where we will be 20-30 years from now with so few who really understand what Freedom of Speech really means.  :(

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
The fact is freedom of speech is ANYTHING but free......blood from farm kids in my neighborhood was spilled on no name islands in the south pacific.....and on the cold belgian snow

to pay for it........... :police: :'( :'(

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »
And sadly, we have to continue to fight the fight to ensure the very freedoms we enjoy are around for our grandkids and their grandkids. 

So few people understand why we will always have our brave young men dying in parts of the world far from home.   :'( :'( :'(