alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Whats your limit?  (Read 13189 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Whats your limit?
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
Its 0 degrees this morning, 6 as I right this with 26 mph winds gusting to over 30.  Wind chill of about 20 below Zero. 

I got a call today from a guy that needs an 8x8 beam from Oak, 14' long. I told him the price and when it would be available, two days after Christmas.  Then he asks how much extra to have it done today. :o

I told him you couldnt get me out in this cold to cut one beam for anything less than $500 :)

He actually thought about it, which for a minute there I thought he was going to ask what time he could pick it up but thank God he said he would wait until the 27th. 

$500 would be a nice kick in the pants for Christmas but I dont think its quite enough for todays cold.  Take the wind away and no problem but this wind is killer.

What would be the limit, temperature wise for you to stay inside? I rarely cut when its below 10 dgrees.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
Re: Whats your limit?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
If they will pay what i want then i would do it.
I do not like the wind just makes things harder.
Special orders means speical prices ;) ;) ;).
Bad weather falls under that subject.
Never cut lumber out in the cold before.
Need blades sharpen but have to wait until after X-mas.
Things have a order around this time of year.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
No wind is 25 or so....I can take it....generally, anything under freezing shuts us down. But this is Oklahoma....rarely do we have below freezing temps during the winter. It is all about what we are acclimated to.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline DaveK

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
It never gets that cold here, but I don't think I would saw in those temperatures even if it did.  Metal starts getting brittle when your are in single digits and lower and I would be afraid of breaking something while working.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:03:22 PM »
i guess im a fair weather sawer
if its below 25 i dont even think about it
if its below 20 i dont even go to work got full time here stoking stove exchangeing water buckets for cretters etc..
just getting old i guess
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »
Amazingly Mike our stock heater for the gease has kept their water thawed.  The heater for the chickens water is another story.  Solid ice!

Offline John Bartley

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
I won't cut unless the previous night has been above 12'F and it's going to get warmer. I have cut as cold as -4'F at startup, but I think it's too hard on the equipment, nevermind on me. Like a lot of you I don't have to cut to eat, but if I did, it'd be a very different story - I'd do what needed to be done.

cheers

john

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:52:12 AM »
4 deg here this morning just putsome hedge in the stove
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
Well it got to 10 today so I went ahead and cut the beam for the guy.  He gave me $20 extra for getting it done early ;D

Wasnt to bad since the wind died down.  I guess our low tonight is going to be around 10-12 then 37 by tomarrow afternoon!   :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:26:46 PM by Kirk Allen »

Offline danweb

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
Well, I haven't cut a lot. And i am still learning. But this is one question that i can give an honest answer about. I can't even imagine cutting in this temperature. It was (11) last night and seems colder tonight. Today got up to a balmy 19. You couldn't drag my old buns out from under this heatin blanket and Id be scratching and screaming all the way. Ands thats even with a brand new mill that has yet to see it's first log. :P
" Live Life With an Attitude of Gratitude "

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »
If it would hit 19 here I would be a sawing fool ;D  Thats practically a heat wave from we have had for the last 4 days.   :D

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »
I do not mind the cold, but with two feet plus of snow, I am having trouble finding the logs, let alone the mill.  I have sawed a great number of times when the temps are in the mid twenties, but without the amount of snow we have here at this time.  It is a balmy 33 degrees right now and Alice and one of her sisters are taking their dogs for a walkabout in the snow.  Now, you must know that "my dog" is a 200 pound male St. Bernard and the other is female, half St. and half Shephard.  All four make a comical scene rain, shine or snow.  They will be going to the larger horsebarn to feed a blind horse.  Figure that.