alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Birkeys words of wisdom  (Read 6467 times)

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Birkeys words of wisdom
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
Re: Birkeys words of wisdom
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
Easy to say.
"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Actually it is easy to do, it just takes some conditioning.  We no longer shop at Walmart.  We support our local grocery store and yes we pay a little more, at least we know where the money goes, which is in the pocket of the local owner. 

It took us a while but now with the help of my wife, we are pretty diligent about buying US made goods and doing all we can to support our local economy.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »
well i suppose if you think you know where the money goes and it makes you feel better even though you really don't know where the money goes it's all good...but it really only places one more person in the link to where the money goes anyway. Where does the local business guy get his financing...where does he shop...what are his buying habits...where does he buy his fuel? Like I said...it's easy to say but you dont know where your money is going anymore than the next guy. I've only read a little bit about walmart and thier employee and business practices. Seems the unions are against them most. Are you pro Union? Barak Obama is going to be Walmarts worst nightmare. We all buy fuel and energy with the procedes going to the middle east...we all finance mortgages and credit markets based world wide.
I wonder where the money goes, paid to huge agra/chem businesses for byproducts they produce that we use in our fancy new heating systems to save a few bucks.
Like I said...easy to say.
"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
You definatly have to do your home work and I can say I know where my money goes.  Financing?  The local grocery store we shop out does not have financing, any more than I do for my company.  They live a debt free life!  He shops local as well both for his own consumption and for what he buys for resale. 

As far as where he buys his fuel, I dont think anyone is under the illusion that you can entirely boycot foreign based purchases but doing what you can does make a difference.  We get the mojority of our oil from Canada, Mexico, and South America.  The middle east gets the majority of its money from sales to other countries, predominatly Europe.

As far as where my money goes, I do know where it goes.  I will use my own fire nozzle business as an example.  Not one single componant in our product comes from over seas.  It is 100% US made!  From the foundery that makes the aluminum to the chemicals used to anodize the finished product.  Not a single element of our finished product comes from any other country!  I am proud to be able to say its 100% made in the US from start to finish. 

As far as pro Union goes, not no but hell know.  I believe the unions have created a lot of the mess we are in now.  I never believed I needed someone else to speak for me to secure my job. 

I agree, Obama and his push for unionizing by a simple vote from employees is going to destroy business in this country.  I dont support it.

Not sure what you mean regarding fancy new heating systems but I know the Biomizer I am using does in fact save me a bunch of money and I am burning just about any biofuel you can auger into it.  The funds I used to purchase a test batch went to a local business that provides jobs in our community as well as services. 

I understand what your saying but I dont think throwing up my hands and giving up is the answer.  We make changes in our spending habits in areas that we can control and every little bit does help.  Does some of it filter through to other countries, sure but thats not always a bad thing.  I sell my product all over the world. Should other countries not buy it becasue its made in the US? 

I needed a simple electrical part today for my truck.  I knew of no one that had it in stock as a US product.  I had to buy what was available and I am sure it was made in China.  Doesnt make me happy but I am happy that hundreds of other purchases I make did not support them.

Every little bit helps!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!