alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Dealing with the cold  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Dealing with the cold
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
Not sure what everyone elses temps are like this week but its bitter cold here with no signs of relief for a few more days.  When it gets this cold -22 with wind chill, frost bite can take its toll on exposed skin pretty quick.  I know filling my hopper this afternoon, which only took 10 minutes was enough to make my fingers numb through insulated gloves! 

Today would be a good time to assess the vulnerability of our offices to frozen pipes.  If you have plumbing in crawl spaces, along outside walls, in unheated attic or ceiling areas, or in any other vulnerable location, leave a small stream of water running overnight tonight and tomorrow night.  Leave under sink cabinet doors open.  If your pipes do freeze, consult a plumber.  Some do-it-yourself methods for thawing pipes may cause more damage and possibly even fires.

Some general cold weather tips:

Check on your neighbors and elderly family and friends frequently.  Temperature extremes cause more weather related deaths on average than hurricanes, lightning and severe storms combined.

Limit outdoor activity.

Cover exposed skin. Frostbite can begin to occur in just a few minutes at the temperatures that are forecast.

Dress in layers and stay dry.  As tempting as it may be, this is not a good time to go sledding.

Make sure that any animals that must be left outdoors have shelter, extra food (more calories will be burned trying to stay warm) and water.  Dehydration is a serious problem in the winter.

Keep a winter storm kit in your vehicle and if you suffer a break down or become stuck in the snow, stay with your car.  Make sure your cell phone is fully charged before beginning any trips and pay extra attention to your surroundings so you can accurately report your location if something happens.

Use space heaters with extreme caution.  Make sure electrical cords and wall sockets don’t feel warm to the touch when using electric heaters.  Avoid using extension cords with heaters.  Never fill a kerosene or catalytic heater indoors and be sure to wait for it to cool down before refueling.  Make certain that nothing is being stored near the furnace vent pipe or chimney.  Vent pipes can become extremely hot when furnaces are running nearly constantly.

And remember, pitchers and catchers report to Spring training in just a few weeks, so there is hope. ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Dealing with the cold
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »
Yes, daddy. ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
-13 this morning!  I think this is the coldest we have seen since moving back to the farm. :o

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
Make sure that any animals that must be left outdoors have shelter, extra food (more calories will be burned trying to stay warm) and water.  Dehydration is a serious problem in the winter.

Remember '
Cotton Kills; Wool is warmer; ..............Grab you animals and wear them fur is the best  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I left TX and arrived at Chanute January of 74 in shorts and t-shirt. Uncle Sam has a sense of humor :P

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
I bet that was funny. 

I was at Lackland in January during their first 3" snow storm and it shut everthing down, and I mean everything.  Instructors couldnt get to work, no such thing as a plow etc.  I laughed pretty hard over that as I had just left the frigid snow packed cold of Illinois.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
As I recall it was -15 when we stepped off the bus (not including wind chill) at Chanute. Base regulars were walking by with wool masks and  parkas.

Shut down lackland for 3"....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To bad; just think of the interesting marching formations they could have developed.  The cadence might have matched what the kids rap songs of today.........hut, one, two,...slippety slide...three four hit the floor. :laugh: :laugh:

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
The temp is just at 25 here, right now.  I washed 14 logs, late yesterday afternoon so I would not need the hoses this morning.  That way I can saw until things are a bit warmer and perhaps have some flowing water later in the day, if need be.  It is bright and sunny here for the next three or four days. Yepie! ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
So now your're sawing ice cubes.

I'm currently sawing some zing cedar.  So far only two zings.

Frank, if you go to the OLC what day.

Just got a note from Sam Bailey and he said he thought the Lucas their taking will be the new 10" model with a 30hp motor.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:10 AM »
I may be there for all three days, demoing or helping the MD folks.  Some of that is still up in the air.