alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Biomizer Sawdust Burner  (Read 183866 times)

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Biomizer Sawdust Burner
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
Everything seems to be going very well with the unit.   :)

I have made a few feed adjustments based on combustion temp for the fuel mix I have right now.  4 bags of sawdust (biomizer bags) to 40lbs of rice husk and with the feed rate on 28, air on 55 I am sustaining combustion temps in the 1400-1500 range, which I consider even that to be high for the limited demand on the unit.  Right now it is heating my house, and hot water.  I also lowered the water temps and last night with the upper limit at 180 and the lower limit at 165 we had no problem heating our home. 

Made another adjustment this afternoon and the fuel auger is now at 26 and I still have combustion temps in reading 1400F.  I will leave it at that and see how it does in the morning.  I suspect I am going to be able to fine tune things to a point where the hopper of fuel will last a couple days if I am lucky ;D

As expected, the rice husk does contribute to clinkers in the combustion chamber but so far the stir option and the ash auger has taken care of that.  This morning I tried a bag of rice husk by itself to see how it would do and the combustion temps were in the 1600 range and noticeable fly ash.  I added some sawdust to it and the temps came down to the 1500 range and I do not see any more fly ash. 

Late this afternoon before filling the hopper I tried some more rice husk by itself and reduced the fuel auger speed to 20 and I still hit a sustained 1300 degree combustion temp. 

I really like all the options that are on this unit so that you can fine tune it to the application. 
Based on what I have seen so far, I am confident I am going to be able to heat my shop, garage, and my house with no problem. 

Temps last night were 8 degrees here with heavy winds and I did not have to use any propane from my normal furnace as the biomizer handled it with a breeze and that was with settings backed way off.  :o

With the factory settings I used one hopper full in about 17 hours.   After my adjustments the same hopper load went 24 hours and the house and hot water are still perfect.  The only difference in fuel during those two cycles was the first one was straight sawdust (Kiln dried walnut) and the second was hickory sawdust from the mill mixed with the rice husk.

I cant wait to see where the hopper is in the morning as I have backed the fuel auger way off from what it was originaly. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »
You are going to get spoiled, using that unit.  ;D When are you going to hook up you kiln to the system?

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
 :o :o :o  Checked the hopper this morning and I only used about 1/4 of the hopper, which by the way  Frank is a 100 gallon hopper according to WM. 

I lowered the boiler temps again and reduced the feed rates by a couple numbers and suspect I have more room to come down. 

I think I am already spoiled.  I havent used my propane furnce in 6 days so I am already saving money.  I cant wait to see my electric bill as the water heater is electric and with it shut off I suspect that will be a $50-$70 savings a month...........I hope  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 08:35:24 AM »
How about hooking up the kiln?

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
That will happen this spring!

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
Awesome Kirk, great news updates - Greatly appreciated. 

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »
I like projects like this....
 in particular the control variables you have at your disposal to truly fine tune efficiency
....all from your pc right?

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
Kirk youmight try your local HVAC guy...I bet he could hook you up with a nice used 3 speed for 20 bucks or so???

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »
Still waiting on the PC control :(  The tech that was supposed to send me instruction either left the company Tuesday or was let go and they dont have anyone yet that can walk me through the process. 

They gave me the IP for the unit but nothing seems to work to be able to see the controls so for now I am still going out to the unit and making the adjustments at the main controls. 

I hope they choose to keep the computer options because what I had heard those options were going to be on the test units but not the final versions.  If they set up the final versions for set numbers it definatly decreases operability.  I am burning about 65% less fuel now than the standard settings they had when it was delivered.  Without the ability to change those factors I would be eating sawdust far faster than I create it.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »
Good morning, it's a cold snap up here for a couple of days...again. a -15* this am & forcasted to a -28* tonite. + wind chill. Thanks for all the updates, Kirk. My 2 projects 4 today are.... hauling & cutting firewood slabs & screening dust. Trying to stay un-frozen!! --- later.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
One thing is for sure, this unit has the cabability to Rock some heat out!  I have several things turned way down and the house is cozy as can be with "lots" of room to spare.

Having an ash auger issue as it appears to not be taking any out unless I manually select it.  Not sure whats up with that but I have a call in to WM and am waiting to here back.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 10:47:20 AM »
Good day Kirk! A -25* this AM. Good pics. of your install. I am getting all the piping etc, figured out from this . I like the NO-ASH!! Keep in touch --- later.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
I wouldn't say No Ash, but very, very little.

I have my auger feed rate down to 21 now and the blower on 50 and I am still managing combustion temps in the 1200 range with no problem.  Got the boiler turned down to 170F on the high end and 158 on the low end and so far so good! 

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »
Well I have turned down the feed auger to 15 and the blower to 35 and she is still maintaining 12-1300 degree temps and sometimes spiking to 1400.  What I have noticed today though is the ceramic temp is 900-1000 so I assume with it all warmed up the combustion temps peak pretty quick with less fuel.  Not sure but thats the only logical explanation I can come up with. 

House is cozy!  ;D

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 05:43:16 PM »
Biomizer was down for a few days :( 

The main fuel feed auger broke and I was waiting on a new one to fix it.  They had used a threaded rod on the end and welded it to the spiral portion of the auger and then welded the other end of it to the main auger shaft.  That little all thread piece gave way. 

Got the new auger in today and installed it along with a new ceramic sheild for the temp probe. 

Hopper filled up and heating things quite nicely! 

It worked out OK since i had to be at my parents yesterday.  I was planning on shutting the unit down anyway for a couple days. 

Did manage to bring back another 2000 lbs of dry fuel for the Biomizer!
That should take care of my needs for the rest of this spring pending any nasty Alberta Clippers. ;D

I got a call from our local lumber yard and they have a truss plant who has several truck loads of kiln dried sawdust ready for pickup.  I am going to work on getting that this week or next and stock up for the next heating season.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »
Glad your system is back in operation!! We have temps in the mid 30's today ,with shower&sleet on the way.---- later.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
One thing that does not work well is super fine sawdust from the dust collector.  Its so fine that the sawdust bridges in the hopper. 

I am going to build a fix for it though and with any luck it will work.  Photos of the modification to come shortly ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:13:37 PM by KEA »

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »
Hey, Kirk, you are making the pig squeeelllll for sure with such talk. ;D

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
Good A.M. to you. WM E-mailed me on 3-14 & stated the unit was to be shipped out to me on 3-15 (fed ex). It's -2* this AM but will reach the mid 30"s most of the week. I'll keep u informed. 

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
We are down again as of yesterday.  It appears a part from above the combustion chamber has fallen into the combustion section.  Found it when checking the ash build up.  Waiting on WM to figure out what it is and how to fix it. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »
It sounds a bit strange that such an important part of the whole process shoud just fall apart.  Either something was not attatched correctly or poorly.  The combustion chamer should be one very solid system, it would seem.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
I think the part is from above the combustion chamber.  It looks like a piece of duct work for the flue but not sure.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
KEA, SORRY to here of the new x*&%<::+ problems. Fed- Ex will be at my site tomorrow PM to deliver. We are in a snow storm now with an expected 3-8 " thru tomorrow. More fun & games in the SLOP!!  I will keep u posted , please do the same.--- later.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2008, 03:13:30 AM »
I do not envy you Seppi.  We are having the same here, in the from of rain, :'( for the next several days

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:27 AM »
WM called this morning and they are coming out to fix it Thursday of this week.  I think everyone is baffled, as I am, as to how this part could have fallen into the combustion section. They said they have never had this problem so I guess the testing phase is working.  We are here to identify problems so that the production models have top notch!