alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Biomizer Sawdust Burner  (Read 179720 times)

Offline seppi

• Contributor
Re: Biomizer Sawdust Burner
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »
Well,..... it has finally been delivered! Fed-Ex got here about 1:30 yesterday. After an hour delay for pulling him out of the ditch,( the front right wheel slid into a culvert ditch trying to make a 90* corner). All said & done, we unloaded the 3 pallets &" crushed" stove pipe, signed damage papers, & sent him on his way. After un-packaging the pallets & putting the burner pieces together & standing the hopper upright, we realized the unit is TALLER than the print measurments. It barely  fit thru the opening of the covered shed.----- WHEW!!! I will be calling WM today as instructed.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
Must be something with delivery drivers and ditches.   :D

WM is suppose to be at my place tomarrow to figure out a fix.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
I had a Fed x truck in here yesterday, delivering some Logrite peavys and he did not get stuck.  It must be a regional thing. ::)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
Around here today you will need a life vest.   :(

It has not stopped raining for close to 48 hours and everthing is a lake.  South of St. Louis has gotten 12 inches and its still raining and coming our way.  I believe they even had 4 deaths today from the flooding. 

Glad the Biomizer is on high ground ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »
I got some gread sawing in, yesterday.  A friend brought in a 24" English Walnut.  There was only about 10" of dark heart, but lots of figure throughout the log.  Shirt sleeve weather throughout the day;not what was expected.  ;D

Are you getting any heat out of the unit, in its present condition.  What have you got for backup, electricity?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
No heat since Saturday.  I may put in a generator this summer for back up but was hoping WM would finish the Co-Gen portion of the Biomizer.  They have said its a top priority after they get the industrial burner up and going. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »
Still no fix.   :(

They are having issues with the large unit in KY and spent a couple days working on that one and looks like it will be Monday now before they make it out my way. 

Looks like we are going to have to remove the water lines again.  If there is 1 tool I am glad I purchased it is the spring clamp tool for the PEX lines.  I picked it up from my central boiler rep for $65.00 and it works like a champ.  I could have barrowed the tool but just dont feel right barrowing tools that I know I am going to need for future projects. 

On the plus side, our fuel requirements should never run short.  With what we produce (to date more than enough) and the second truss plant donation we are going to be in "High Sawdust".   One of the truss plants that already said we could have all the sawdust they produce appearently spoke with another one and they too said its ours for free.  The best part is it looks like they "may" truck it in for me as doing that is still cheaper than what they were doing, which was paying to have it dumped. 

I am going to convert the east end of my corn crip into a sawdust storage.  With all the air circulation it should work out quite well. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:34:09 AM by KEA »

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
Removing the water lines makes no sense, unless you have to have more water volumn.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »
The water lines that connect to the boiler have to be disconected because the boiler has to be lifted off the combustion chamber to figure out what happen. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2008, 09:46:21 AM »
That sounds a bit of a hassel to have to remove them to pick off to get to the combustion chamber.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »
The boiler sits on top of the Combustion chamber and the only access is either from the top (remove the boiler) or from a small ash access door and that wont work for this. 

There are quite a few things from a manufactureing point I would have done different and maybe with our input those changes will be part of the final product. 

I know the access panels could be much simpler by just using shelf lock tabs or piano hinges instead of a bunch of screws with sliding nut plates attached to the panel it ties into it. 

I am working on a mod for the hopper to prevent bridging.  On more than one ocasion the fuel bridges and while the bottom gets used up, there is a void created with lots of fuel still up high.  The padel stir they have for the fuel works great and I think they just need another one just like it about half way up the bin. 

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
Perhaps a wire whip attached to the lower paddle would work.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »
I was planning on an extension with a broken saw blade attached to it.  A wire whip would work as well...............................now what is a wire whip again? 

Isnt that they thing my wife uses to whip up eggs for an omlet?  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
Make the whip device in an oval pattern, similar to the spud whip idea, but using only two wires or blade parts.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2008, 08:42:44 PM »
Happy Easter to all !! Kirk, were you able to put unions on both lines off the tank pipings??? OR... I am installing flex SS line sections on each run instead. No need to re-do pex connects when re-assembling. Will talk later as info appears.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
I have the PEX union coming out of the pipe connections.  This summer I will modify it to make it user freindly as taking the pex lines off is a real pain. 

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »
I hope that WM is watching close and taking notes from you.  They are getting some great info on working out the kinks!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
They are supposed to be here this morning to get things going.  Cant wait becuase each time I hear the furnace kick on it makes me sick knowing I cold be heating my place for pennies instead of dollars :o

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
Looks like this afternoon now for the fix. 

Here is a pic of the end of the auger part that broke.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »
It looks like to me that, that piece coming around should all be molded in one piece, rather than making two welds on an allthread which is weak from the beginning.  But, I am no engineer.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
My suggestion is to bring the outer ring around another full loop and secure itself to the center of the rod end with a bolt. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »
Seth and Brent from Wood Mizer came out this afternoon to take care of the Biomizer issues. 

First step was to disconect everything from the boiler so we could lift it up. That took all of 10 minutes.  Thank you to Jim and the use of his JD 4020. 

Then after confirming it was in fact what they call the "wok" in the combustion chamber we stood around for several minutes scratching our heads how it fell in, since getting it out took some pressure to get it past the ceramics.

Not the best shot but you can see the WOK installed. It just sits on the ceramic insulation. 

This is the bottom of the boiler.  The small probe on the left is the combustion temp probe.  Turns out the ceramic sheild on this was broken again.  They suspect from removing the boiler.

This is Bret, the computer tech with WM working on the programing.  He just got involved with the team but I have to take my hat off to him for effort.  Still several "minor" bugs to work out to get things working the way they want but he did a bang up job for just stepping into it. 

Now words wont explain the laughter Seth and I got out of this but Bret is sitting next to the access panel for the combustion chamber (temporarily removed) and while he was working from his shaded office we started hooking things up.  Well the first thing we hooked up was the blower motor and wouldnt you know it, it came on, in HIGH speed :D   Blew ash all over his makeshift tent.  Boy are we glad he had that laptop protected when that happen.   :D

And the best part of the whole day, outside of getting the unit up and running again, I can manage everything from my office now ;D
This is the pic of my computer screen. 

As Bret worked through lots of programing issues we had to tease him each time we got a new problem.   My ash auger problem is being worked out but at one point it wouldnt turn off.  "Bret, I didnt  have that problem before you got here"  :D ;)

Then we got a fuel auger failure warning.   "Bret, I didnt  have that problem before you got here"  :D ;)

Wood Mizer, my hats off to you for the caliber of people you hire!  Seth and Bret are clearly assets to the WM team and it was a pleasure to work with them. 

Cant forget Boyd either.  Although he was not on this trip he was out the last two times and he too is a fine lad to work with. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:50:54 PM by KEA »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »
Current fuel is a mix of rice husk and red oak.  Auger set to 20 and air set to 40.  Combustion temps maintaining 1275-1350 F. 

This system rocks! 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »
I thought it heats. Does it heat with rocks? :D :D :D :D ;D :angel:

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2008, 08:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the PICS, Kirk! they cleared up a couple of ?? that I had . Congrats on your success!--- later.