alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Friend and Neighbor  (Read 11170 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Friend and Neighbor
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
Got a call yesterday morning to the house at 9:02, while I was cleaning sawdust from under the mill with the leaf blower. Earmuffs for sound on, so not much could be heard.  A past student showed at just about that time for sawdust.  I turned off the blower and heard a blood curdling scream from Alice up at the house, about 300 yards away.  (sounds really carry from mill site to house)  she said to call her with me cell.  I had gotten a call from another past student (girl) about her father that lived up the hill about a mile.  He needed help to get to the doctor in a hurry, as she did not have access to a vehicle at that time.  I raced to the house and the Ford Explorer.  I raced to his home, thinking I might have to cave in the door, from what the doughter had said on the phone.  As I raced into the drive I saw his pickup door open, but no friend. I jumped from my vehicle and saw his left foot hanging from the  drivers door.  It has been a  rough 36 hours, around here.  I was not able to help him.  He had passed.  I called the doughter and let her know.  I waited for a deputy and the ambulance service as they had been called by myself, wife and the doughter.  While waiting, my friends cell phone wrang.  I found it on the seat under where he was laying and answered it too late.  I was able to determine what button to push and called the caller back. 
The caller was his son (also another past sudent) who is living in Texas.  I had the challenge of telling him as well, about his father.

I went to his doughters home, this afternoon.  I held that doughter in my arms for almost an hour and a half.  That was the toughest I have had for a long time.  Her mother had passed, just about 18 months ago and I had been close to the family at that time as well. 

When you think about calling a friend or relative and do not take the time, as you will call later.  The later may never be.  Take the time, make the call or visit.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
Re: Friend and Neighbor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:21:18 AM »
Frank, your many kids are blessed with your continued presence to aid at times like these and provide arms or words of comfort.

I recently was made aware of another tragedy although I did not know the person. But his pain and anquish of losing a loved one was heart felt.

Both reading about his situation and yours is as you say a reminder to 'take the precious time' while it is still available.  I have lost some of my own this past year. Constantly aware of the multiple challenges of time usage.

Alice and you and this family are in my prayers.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:11:50 AM »
Frank, you and Alice are in our prayers. Words cant describe the feelings that go through you during times you described.

May the Good Lord bring that family comfort during their time of anguish.  :angel:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »
Frank, hows the family bearing up?

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
Very well, thank you, Buzz.  The doughter is having the most trouble right now.  I called her on Easter to wish her a happy Easter.  She was very pleased I call and invited me to come by any time.  I will be doing that in a couple of days.  She gave me her fathers antique oak desk that has a flip-down writing surface.  I really lost it when her husband brought it by and few weeks ago.  What an honor.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
this is hard to do
we buryed my wifes youngest son march the 8, 2009 in robinson ,il  the otopesy report came in while we were in robinson ,il ,week before last  buring my wifes father, he had a heart atack while going through kemo for lung cancer.
the otopesy report said bryian had taken sudafed while on oxycotton for headakes, that this combination allowed the asma atack that he had while sleeping to be fatal. they said that it took all 3 events to do him in.
he was 11 when nancy & i married he was liveing with his father the last 4 years & going to colege in robinson. were her sister works.

it was then decided my mother in law couldnt live alone so we moved her in to town with her mother
so now grandma 87 & ma 68 living to gether in greatgrandmas house in town.
it was a chore to sort through all the little things bryian had given his grand parents through the years after burying him a month before.
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
Mike our prayers are with you. 

Its sad to hear the otopsey report as you would think the doctors would have warned against such a combination of medication with known medical conditions. 

Again, so sorry for your loss. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »
Thoughts and prayers Mike.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
Mike our prayers are with you. 

Its sad to hear the otopsey report as you would think the doctors would have warned against such a combination of medication with known medical conditions. 

Again, so sorry for your loss. 
well in fairness to doc's the sudafed was over the counter
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson