alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Computer hard drive security  (Read 8066 times)

Offline DaveK

• Contributor
Computer hard drive security
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:48 AM »
I have finally decided to recycle my old laptop computer, but I'm worried about data that can be recovered from my hard drive.  I've read some of the horror stories where computer owners have recycled their computers only to find out someone recovered banking information and used it to steal from their bank accounts.  This computer currently has all kinds of business and bank information that I want to delete permanently so it can't be recovered.

A little research on the internet has been helpful, but I'm still confused on how to go about wiping my hard drive so data can't be recovered.  Can anyone recommend any freeware that will do this so I'm reasonably confident the data can't be recovered?  I realize I can physically destroy the drive, but I would prefer to recycle everything.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Computer hard drive security
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
I was under the impression that if you re-format the drive it is wiped clean but dont take my word on this. 

I bet if you contact the manufacture of the laptop or hardrive they could tell you the best way to go about it. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
go to komando.com Kim Komando has freeware listed on her website for such tasks. She spoke about it last week on here radio show.

I found it for you.  http://www.killdisk.com/
"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
That is a great source. I use to listen to her when I lived in the Chicago area but cant get her where were at now.  She has great advice and its spot on!

Thanks Mics-54 for some great info!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »
If you do a total reformat, the files can be a recovered unless they are already OVERWRITTEN by other files. So, say you do a total reformat, if you don't use the computer after that than they still can get files off of it, but if you use it and save other stuff and the other stuff overwrites the previous files than your fine. Having said that I'd just have a field day with a hammer ;D
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
Two primary ways to re-format a hard drive.
1.  Quick format erases the file index but leave the files in tact
1.  Complet format deletes the files and zeros the disc.  But you have to be careful to preserve an area for the boot tract for the first hard drive.  Old command was, Format  [drive letter]/s.   All files should be gone but not sure. 

The military uses a program that formats the disc then writes 0,s and 1's to all memory locations thus insuring all data is gone.  But that's a little extrem.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline DaveK

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
I got some help from a friend and was able to wipe the drive and I'm confident my bank information won't show up somewhere it shouldn't, but now I have to use my wife's computer to check in when I want to.  I probably won't spend as much time on the computer now, but the weather has been so nice I'd rather play outside anyway. :)