alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Adirondak Chairs  (Read 14370 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Adirondak Chairs
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »
My wife got a set of plans to make some outdoor furniture.  We cut out the basic templets from MDF a couple of weeks ago so we can use them over and over. 

We are going to make them out of white oak on the first go round.  Might make some out of Osage and sell them for a premium since they would last three generations.  :D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
Re: Adirondak Chairs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
Trouble is , you would need stainless fasteners to last near as long as the chairs ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:57 PM »
Good point  ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:14:28 PM »
Buzz I guess that will mean we can charge more for them. ;D

Offline Mark

• Contributor
    • Shootin'Creek LogstoLumber.org
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
Kirk,I sure would like to see those plans if by chance thats possible...I have 300bft of Kd'ed red & white Hickory that I thought would be great for AdIron Chairs.This stuff is brutal on the machinery though, but my take was if I could pattern out the pieces than plane to thickness it might be alittle easier on the equipment since I'm not shovin' 8-10"wide x 12' long Hickry' boards through the Planer.Suggestions other than get a better planer would be appreciated :) / Mark

Offline John Bartley

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »
.....  my take was if I could pattern out the pieces than plane to thickness it might be alittle easier on the equipment since I'm not shovin' 8-10"wide x 12' long Hickry' boards through the Planer.....

Mark,

If you plan to cut to shape first and then plane to thickness second, I'd like to suggest that you leave a bit of waste at both "long" ends of your work pieces. It's possible that you have a planer that doesn't snipe, but if your planer does snipe, then the waste portion will absorb that defect.

cheers eh?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
Very good points John. 

Mark, what my wife has was a set of plans she baught from Rockler I believe.  The plans were $10.00 if I remember right. 

As far as using Hickory for outdoor furniture, not sure how well it will hold up as Hickory is the bugs favorite food :(  I would seal the daylights out of it and maybe even paint it.  The biggest problem would be sealing the legs that will be touching the ground.  That will be a rot point for sure with Hickory. 

With that, I am assuming they would be for your own use.  If you selling them, Hickory would assure future repeat business ;)

Offline Mark

• Contributor
    • Shootin'Creek LogstoLumber.org
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »
yes Kirk,they would most definitely be sold(unfinished) around here....this place,Shootin'Creek,Hiawassee,Blairsville,Helen, ect.It's a hotspot for rustic furniture. My Dad has a rustic furniture store with all of his own furniture in it.Log Beds,rustic dressers,turned lamps and the likes.I occasionally will put my stuff in there depending what it is.We are always at odds and he's always telling me to make more of these or make more of those......to this day he doesn't(or he pretends he doesn't) understand exactly how "freespririted" I actually choose to be.I not only get bored quickly building the same stuff day after day but I don't follow direction or take orders very well either.300bft in Hickory AdIron Chairs is good for me."Tell me" to make 300bft worth of Hickory AdIron chairs? You got a better chance of seeing god himself produce them before I will.I'm not a high and mighty creature either.I'm not better than that,or holier than thou......I just don't "do" orders or work for the ole'man THAT well......I don't know what got that outta me but back to my jargon,I've been lookin for something to use this Hick'ry for and thought of Adiron chairs before,what a strong wood for this,I know I'm not tellin'  you anything you don't know but this is some wicked stuff.Most of the Hickory around here goes into the floor machine and man does it wear well.Beautiful bark inclusions too that give it just enough rustic while still showing some great grain features and color variations.I appreciate the input guy's, yes ,I have a planer that likes to snipe right after I've fixed and convinced myself it won't snipe again.I actually am in the habit of 5-6" longer for everything going through it.Can't wait to get the woodmaster.Be the only guy in the area making molding at that point :) .And as far as sealing the hickory.I like selling alot of my stuff unfinished (unless High figured),i sell to a bigger market this way.However,I give the same advice you guy's gave me to everyone who buys my furniture....especially if it goes outside.I'll check those plans out at Rockler.Also,plansnow.com  has a set..I wanna say for free,but I may have paid for these.I like to do different things with the AdIrons,you know cup holders or adjustibility,curved backs or even leather inlays on the arms.Haven't done this in awhile and that set cost a mint.I'm looking for something where I can cut all patterns for 3-4 days and assemble for a week.You know,like a well oiled high production machine.After that,I'll have the craps of hick'ry AND Adiron chairs and will quickly wanna move onto something else.I'll keep ya posted on whatever I decide to do.Got a good taste of spring this weekend so I expect all hell to breakloose in the next coupla weeks.I got alittle winded on this one didn't I ;D.    Mark