alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Big white Oak  (Read 49532 times)

Offline locvetter

• New Contributor
Big white Oak
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
I'm new to the group - referred by the nice people at Lumberjock blog.  I have a huge White Oak - 75' drip line, 176" circumference at three feet above grade.  Estimated 325 to 400 years old.  It was a big reason I bought my home.  In the Dec 21 ice storm lost several major branches and I am told for safety I should take it down.

I'd like to preserve both rounds and perhaps some qs slabs.  Of all the rounds I have seen in museums -- all were badly checked.  Is it possible to preserve slabs of this heritage oak?  Does someone in Oregon know how.  Could I do it?

Thanks so much.

Loc

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Big white Oak
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:40 PM »
We have several great folks from Oregon that I am sure could offer you some great advice!  One just happens to have purchased a slabber at the last conferance who might be interested in slabing some stuff out of that monster.

Welcome to the forum and if you got any pics we always appreciate pics.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »
locvetter, welcome a board.  Whereabouts are you located with that BIG  Oak.  We might be asble to help you.  I am in the Dallas area, West of Salem about 15 miles.

The first thing you do when you cut the rounds is cover each side with a sealer.  I get mine form some folks in Johnson City, near Portland.  The material is designed for sealing log ends and slowing the drying down and help cut down on checking.  The "cookie" will still split, but perhaps not as bad and quickly.  There are some ways to deal with the material after the checking has stopped or come to a very slow process of drying.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
Not all storm damage loss of laterals requires loss of the tree.  Have you taken the tree down?

When ever there is storm damage to trees, many fly-by night tree services (opportunists) proceed with all kinds of ill advise.  Even many certified arborists have not had enough experience or knowledge to ascertain structural preservation of the tree.

Loss of a major leader may only cause superficial damage to trunk. Although unsightly and alarming to the untrained eye often the remaining portion of the tree is structuraly sound and will provide many more years of benefits.

Do not loose your property aesthetic and landscape value over one opinion.

If the tree is structurally unsound than there will obvious reasons as to why i.e.; presence of a heart rot or sap rot. Which would degrade the value for lumber purposes.

A hazard tree can be rated by a qualified arborist / forester. If the damage is severe. Do not hesitate to remove the tree.

Slabbing requires a large saw or large width band mill. Since your Oak has a diameter of 4' 8" it would best be done by a slabber with a minimum 6' bar. The slabbers that Frank and Steve M. have are designed to minimize the sway of a bar that size and provide the extra lubrication needed in performing this kind of cutting.

Offline locvetter

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
If you are right there in Silverton, I could come get you and bring you over to look and then drive you home -- I'm just north of Turner.  This tree might be on the bubble in term of need to take down the rest.  I must say that I factor in the fact that I have two young kids -- one of which was swinging on a limb that came down just two hours before in happened.  Also - the tree is now so unsightly compared to before - that I think I'd rather have he acre of land than the tree.  The scar from one branch break is about 3' x 6' -- that is a big chunk of trunk scar.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
Loc,

Currently there are two Oregon White Oaks here in Silverton that have had storm damage loss of laterals and leaders. One was damaged this winter the other ten years ago. Both have trunk scars as large as yours. Even though the scars are unsightly they do not have a great impact upon the remaining structure of the tree.

However, 'kids' are by far more valuable than a damaged Oak. Aesthetics are also a great value. I am by occupation a consulting arborist/forester. I make every effort to give people 'facts' concerning the physical structural stability and safe uselful life expectency of their trees; in order that they can make an informed decision.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
Now, Stepehn, look there, who said their is no free ride?  Looks like you got one to and from Turner. ;D

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »
Frank, I will be in Turner tommorrow.......got a log arch for lease?

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
I wish I had some arches out here.  I sold all I had in stock.  Sorry.  Do you want me to order an arch?  A TA030 runs right at $2700, plus shipping.   That hurts, even thinking about the idea.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »
Visited Mr. Vetter's place to observe this Oregon White Oak.

The wound was created by the loss of one leader. Even though the trunk capacity is large enough to support the remaining canopy; other visual obvious structural failure potentials were evident, i.e. trunk wood is severely twisted leading to weaker elongated cells (which will make interesting craft wood); parasitic misletoe swellings were noted throughout canopy / trunk; incipient staining in failed branch wood indicated heart rot. Further failure of this tree is eminent, due to its location and the target activity below its canopy the tree is a loss. Calculated age 400 years.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:58:21 PM »
Thats a terrible loss.  I bet when that three is leafed out its beutiful.  Heck, its beutiful now  :o
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:45:52 PM »
Is there any danger of the tree injuring life or buildings; if not, I would vote to let it stand as long as it wants.  The location and twisting of the main bole, tells me that it has had to withstand lots of winds over the years.

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »
'Danger' yes, as I stated above there is activity below its canopy from kids playing. Not in the pics above to the east is a building down grade which could also be impacted upon canopy failure.

Wind has given the tree character, but disease influence coming from a nearby Oak is invading this tree.

The tree has some structural 'back breaks' and additional weakly attached laterals. Other signs of brash wood breakage in this tree and a nearby Oak are visible.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
Another consideration is the land owner is going to place a pole building just to the side of the tree.  The building is to replace a wind damaged one from the last big storm.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
Watch for nails, when sawing, Steve.  Good luck on that monster. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Oh, I'll watch but what I generally see is the carbid fly right after I hear zing.

I'm hoping there won't be any but have given the owner a heads up about blade charges just in case.
Stevem

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 11:06:39 PM »
Well................Loc's contractor (John) used his excavator to dig around and cut roots to fall this Oak. Steve M. and I ended up there tonight where I bucked the log to smaller pieces.

Steve will be milling tomorrow.

In the pics......John is in bobcat......Loc is standing and walking next to log....I am in the tin cap... with saw. Somehow Steve M did not get a pic....sneaky guy :laugh:

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »
 8)

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Camera batteries died....... >:(

Will try to get pics from Loc to show you guys of logs.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »

Good looking hat, Steve. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
We buck a 14 foot piece out of the trunk,t 52" on the big end, about 48 on the scale end.  Gross scale is about 1500 bdf.   I will cut boards out of the top half and then slab throught the center. Might or might not shift back to boards for the bottom.  Steve bar in pictures is 52" and it just barley reach through where he cut it off the stump.  Looks like there is some spalting on the out side edges which I'll try and save in boards
Also saved out a 5 foot piece that has about 4 crotches that I figure I'll just slab.  Gonna be some real pretty wood.

No metal in the wood so far except the two 6 penny spikes we found sticking out of the bottom portion.  Might have hit  a nail last night I'll find out today.  Rain started and I left before the last cookie was cut.  Tree is about 200 years old

We (Steve W) cut of the big burl on the side off since the owner has a lathe (and a wood shop to kill for) but it was hollow with rot.  Just have to wash it off and you've got a bowl, no truning needed.

Frank,  you want the stump for burl wood?  Just have to figure out how to load it.   

Stevem

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
Steve Wiley said something about the fella with a track hoe loading and possibly hauling here.  Steve W. said he would look into the whole matter.  Careful of the slabbing in the crotch area.  Remember, that wood really likes to show its stuff with stress areas and crotches are a favorite place for demonstrating its strength. ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:16:34 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »
Latest on stump is: it is to big to move......
Loc would like to donate it to school to illustrate 'size' a two hundred plus tree can grow beneath soil surface.

Unfortunately, may have to split in pieces in order to get it out of excavated site.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
He can't put it on his equipment trailer?   :'( :'( :'(

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
Might put half of it on the trailer.  How do you get half?  Really limited access and small bobcat size equipment trailer.  And bobcat just barley lifts one end.
I should be slabbing tomorrow.

Steve m
Stevem