alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: 400 year old Alaskan Cedar pics  (Read 9238 times)

Offline woodsman

• Contributor
400 year old Alaskan Cedar pics
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »
Here are some pic's that I worked hard to get posted, thanks to Kirk Allens post I was able to do it. The tree was harested in 1974 from a slide on the upper Hoh River. My father brought them from a local mill as cull logs, about 4 truck loads for $500. This perticiular log was 400 years old, 30 feet long and close to 4 feet in dia. I cut mostly 4"x8"s for a costum timber frame home. I netted $4000 from this one log.

This last one is a cabin I cut all the lumber for out of the logs, It's currently my wife's clay studio

Thanks all I've been trying to post these pic's for a long time.
Jason
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:03:58 PM by woodsman »

Offline woodsman

• Contributor
Re: 400 year old Alaskan Cedar pics
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:42:21 PM »
Ok that worked here's one more.

;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:03:05 PM by woodsman »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
WOW :o 
Thanks for sharing the pics!  Rest assured, the more pics you post the easier it becomes. 

I might have to hide this thread from my wife ;)  She might send me out to the mill to cut out a cabin for a private studio.  :D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:57:35 AM »
I'm impressed.  That is one dandy log.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
You sure have a neat site and all, Jason.  Thank you for sharing your digs.  You ought to send a couple of those log photos to Dawn and show here how you are really in need or a new hydostatic mill. ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 08:06:15 AM »
Each time I see pics from out west I get that urge to pack up and move back to Alaska! Trees, mountains, coastlines, hunting, fishing, etc.  God's Country! 

I wish I knew why my ancestors stopped here in illinois when they ventured west from New England. ???

Offline julian the woodnut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
Those are some nice logs!

Kirk, I know what you mean. Only difference is that I know why my family stopped in Danville, Il. They were headed out west during the gold rush and stopped in Danville to set up camp for the night. As they slept their team of ox were stolen. Since that was their sole mode of transportation, they just stayed. It's funny how life works out in the end.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
I guess the story behind my ancestors staying here was with the worlds fair Chicago, 1895? 

They won first prize with one of their rams and the prize was $500.  That money was used to buy 500 acres here in the heartland. 

Turns out just about all the other relatives from my Great Grandfather continued west and ended up in Nebraska raising cattle. The reason they didnt stay here was because the ground was to good for livestock ???