alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sawlex  (Read 15257 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Sawlex
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »
How many of us are going to the Sawlex show and tell?

ME!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Sawlex
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
I think Frank is excited!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
I pick Buzz up tomarrow night in Cleveland, then Frank Thursday morning! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
me trying me trying.
Got tickets but van died.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:23:02 AM »
Not I..........

I wonder what kinda of security trouble Frank is going to have ......flying with his 'tin bucket' :laugh: ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »
Should be alright if he wears it.  They'll think he's trying to hide something under it but won't find anything when they look.    ;D
Stevem

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »
 :D :laugh: ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
Do we ever have some stories to tell about the adventures of Frank and the tin bucket!  :D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
You mean TAIL GUNNER?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:57 AM »
i had the honor of meeting frank for a little bit of time at sawlex.
Would like to talk to him all day but had the family.
I dont didnt see kirk  :( :( :(.
I did get a blue log cant hook.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
Sorry I missed you Mr. Mom.  Frank told me you stopped by while the firewood shootout was going on.  I was out watching that. 

Carl, the name change is official!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
I think the name is one to be proud of. I was very impressed of what little wast came off the logs and again you did a great job stacking the lumber Frank ;D I had a great time with you guys and hope to do again some day.Thanks for coming out and Thank you Frank (AKA TAILGUNNER) for the close up demo on the MD

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
Do we ever have some stories to tell about the adventures of Frank and the tin bucket!

Waiting to hear...........................

Did he have 'jet lag' so bad he wore it backwards ? ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »
He definatly had jet lag.  He had been up for over 48 hours.

It was amazing to see folks do the double take at Frank and his metal bucket :laugh:  The poor hostess at the resteraunt stared at the hat and looked mesmorized by it. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:15:41 AM »
One thing is for sure, Frank did not go un-noticed! 

I was amazed how many people he knew at the show.  He has been asked to do some writing for Sawmill and Woodlot magazine but it sounds like we are going to have to prod him along on that one so lets all give a shove and get his name in the magazine on a regular basis  ;D  (ooops, I wasnt suppose to let that slip  ;D ;D ;D :laugh:

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 01:05:40 AM »
I'm just waiting for the story of the name change to get written,  When might that be?
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
I am working on the story but the credit goes to Carl for the new name ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
MY FRIENDS!   Thanks, Carl.

Jet lag is an understatement, for sure.  I did have a great time.  Thanks you all. I had a bit of fun from my two burnt holes in a blanket eyes.  Buzz Sawyer had left his "lucky"  cackie green shirt/jacket out here on the left coast, when he and Kirk were out, last Summer.  I hauled it home to its owner, but not after Alice forced me to let her iron and button all of the buttons and fold nicely for me to stuff into my travel container. 

I just wish that we would have had a bit better weather for the first day and all.  The first night brought a torent of rain and the demo site was a mud hole, to say the least.

I did have a great deal of pleasure in meeting folks from across the country.  Some drove from as far away as Tampa.  The average time of travel was around 3 1/2 hours for most attending. 

One of the cutest things I saw was a young Amish family with 7 children trailing around; some of the children were walking and some in strollers.

As to the name change, well, that was Carl's idea, after he watched me offload the lumber from the MD mill, during the competition.  I had never seen any sort of competition of sawmills and was not too attuned to all of the ramification involved.  (Sound good so far?)
Anyway, I am sure Jim and I did several things that were our of the ordinary, to say the least. 

But I will tell you, there was no other lumber cut as true as what we produced, that is for sure.  Even Carl said he liked what he saw, and is considering purchasing a mill.  I believe the sold at least three mills for sure and that includes the show mill, after the show in Kentucky.

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
I have to admit watching the MD compaired to the rest of the mills there is not neer the labor involved in the milling process with the MD why Frank never broke a sweat ;D It sure was interesting to hear the peoples stories and reasons for getting into milling. Great time for sure. The MD would sure be a nice addision to the WM. In the future hopefully ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Day one was the learning curve.  Who were the players, what could they do, and most of all, were they ready!

The night before the shootout it was clear, winning this even was clearly at the top of Franks lists of things to accomplish in life ;D 

Frank was drafted to participate in the shootout with Jim, the mechanic for MD.  Jim clearly knows the machine inside and out and was confident in his knowledge of the mill.  Frank, a well versed sawyer with the MD had visions of 10 & 12" wide boards flying off the mill and finishing the 4 small logs provided in the shoot out in about 45 minutes or less, even though they were given two hours to cut them.

The morning of the event Frank was designated "Tailman", later changed to Tail Gunner!  The horn blows and Franks age and experience, well, he waited for a board.  Jim eye balled that log several times to line up the blade to ensure not one bit of wane was on their first board. In a flash, well maybe a twinkle, the first big board came off.  It was perfectly handled by Tail Gunner and he made sure it was stacked perfectly straight in the soon to be pile of perfect lumber.

That first board measured a whopping 1x.................3 ;D  The next one was better! With a 1x...........4 in his hands it too hits the stack of perfectly lined up lumber.  1x3 after 1x4 after 1x3, the board tally was working its way up.  You could see Tail Gunner holding his breath just waiting for that first 1x..............6 to land in his hands. 

Tail Gunner never broke a sweat yet he was laying perfect lumber down, board after board.  As time went on the crowd got larger and larger as they all came to watch the team crank out perfect lumber.  Looking around it was clear the MD was the only game in town: the others had finished ;)

They pressed on with pride and confidence.  By the time the last log rolled around a few things came very clear.  The waste pile was minimal!  The lumber was perfect!  No one was sweating, other than maybe a few sweating bullets from under Franks Tin lid, thus the name Tail Gunner!   ;D

The truth of the matter is, we all knew the MD could outperform the rest of the mills however having Frank, a master Sawyer, tailing was not going to make that happen.  Yes they cranked out perfect lumber effortlessly but you could see the competitive nature of Frank Pender boiling up to kick but, only to be handed yet another 1x4.

In an effort to make Frank feel better, I reminded him he should be happy as he owns an Oscar 36, which finished before the MD ;D 

After returning to the booth, Carl graciously established the legends new name, Tail Gunner! 
I know there will never be a way to get the real events captured in text but trust in the fact that we all had a great time and truly only picked on Frank out of Love! 

Frank, as you stated in the truck during one of those intersection mary-go-rounds, your the turtle in the race with the hare, and we all know who won that race! 

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
So 'how much' did you have to pay Jim.............. if you would have given him a little more; he might of made stickers. :o

Frank, better let MD know you need a big bonus for the show :laugh: :laugh:

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:19 PM »
My bonus was being asked to help. 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
Any reason given for the 1x4's?
Stevem

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »
I'm going to saw onley 1x3s and 1x4s today in honor of Frank AKA Tail Gunner ;D. Kirk you sumed that up as well as could be done. You should write a book someday. ;) :laugh: :laugh:

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
The best to get from that portion of the log, at the time.