alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Lucas vs. MD's vs. Bandsaw  (Read 46517 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Lucas vs. MD's vs. Bandsaw
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »
There was a discussion about the difference so I thought I'd add my point of view.  I ran an MD about 30 years ago and now own a Lucas.  And for a very short time I ran a WM that I didn't know how to sharpen baldes for so didn't have a real good experience with.

Having started sawmilling using a MD I kind of fell in love with cutting big logs.  Never met a log I couldn't cut size wise.  Where I live, Western Oregon, we still have a number of large logs that either the mills can't cut because of size or don't want to cut because of size/grade.  Most commercial mills have equipped themselves to cut logs  >30" to maximize production.  The cost of big logs is actually less than the smaller ones.  Most of the big logs (not all) are Douglas Fir and premium fir commands a price equal to or better than most hardwoods.  So the profit margin is there withouit having to compete making 2 X 4's.

Two reasons I opted to buy a Lucas.  Cost of the mill and the ability to cut big logs.  The cost for the Lucas is about 1/2 of a MD so start up costs are reduced.  Start up cost were a big factor to me because of the stringy shoes I wear or is that shoe strings.

What I've learned:

Both the MD and the swing mills will cut any size log because of the nature of the cuttin pattern.  Basicly a log is planed down from the top one layer at a time.  All boards are or can be edged as they are cut.  Boards cut from the top or edges can be left with a live edge (bark on), sawyers choice.  All of the mills have the ability to cut very long logs (optional additions).  MD can edge or not on each board, Lucas it's either/or not both. 

The differences as I see it:

The kerf:  Swing mills are billed as having a narrow kerf (3/16") and they do compared to a circle mill (1/4"-3/8") and they don't compared to a band mill(>1/8").  Kind of some were in between.

Sawdust leavings:  Lucas gives shaving like the MD when the teeth are sharp unlike a band mill which gives dust.  This is an issue for some people trying to get rid of the sawdust but I have yet to have enough production to worry about it. (200 hours on my mill)  But I do know that mushroom growers love oak shavings.

Production:  Given one helper I'll match anybodys production in wood cut from 20"+.  From what I've read I can get more boards per blade sharpening than a band mill. The MD will out cut me without a helper unless we're cutting heavy boards (say 20' 8" x 8") where the MD drag back doesn't work well).  The MD drag back is nice.  :)

Log size.  If you're using end stands with the MD log size is limited to end stand highth.  No limit with the block and board method but you really need a good set of blocking to match size of boards you want to cut.
The Lucas is comfortable at around 50" with out any hassels.  Bigger logs take a little more manuvering and blocking up.  There an extended frame model available if your really have a need for BIG, like add two feet?

Cut size horizontal:  One of the limiting things I had with the MD I used was the 4" limited horizontal cut.  Yes there was and still is a larger trim saw available to give wider cuts, but I didn't have it.  So if somebody wanted a 6" x 6" I couldn't to it.  The Lucas I have will cut 8 1/4" either way with no hassle. And there is a 9" blade option.

Cut size vertical:  The MD will cut 12" down and that's nice for 1" siding and 2"+ for construction stringers and rafters.  The Lucas will only cut 8"s (or 9" with optional blade).  The 12" cut is better, no argument there, but that limit hasn't turned anybody away from my cutting their logs yet.

Wider boards:  The Lucas and other swing mill have the ability to "double cut" in the horizontal.  Thus my saw will cut 16" wide boards.  But there are some limiting factors.  Only one wide board per pass or layer.  Double cutting on smaller logs gets a little dicey because the saw needs a wide stable base to rest on while your spinning the carriage around.  You don't want to have the saw on the ground because it overballanced half way in the spin.  There can be a slight mismatch in depth of cut from one side to other leaving a ridge on the underside of the board.  The reason being you have lower the rails, spin the saw and then raise the rails back to EXACTLY where you started.  Perfection may be possible but I'm not there yet.  I did hear about one fellow that lifted his saw with equipment to spin the saw and got away from lowering the rails. Should have been a better match. If you consistantly need wide boards (up to about 30") then a band mill would be better.

Cut timber size:  MD says they can cut one timber any size, one per log, so can the swing saws.  The kicker is you have to be able to roll the log three or four times.  Rolling a 30" log with the top flattened is not what one would call easy without some sort of support equipment or winch set up.  If you need support equipment there goes cheap.

Wide slabs:  Band mills are limited to the throat width, generally 28" max with a few exceptions.  Dimension mills and swing saws can cut one slab per log, any width, if the log can be rolled .  The slab is what's left after sawing the rest of the log.    Band mills can do the same up to throat width.
Swing saws have an option of a slaber either as a seperate cutting head or as an attachment.  What that amounts is a 27hp chain saw mill with a wide bar. 

Mobility:  They'er all mobile but I ain't into adding a mule on my list of support equipment and I are certainly not going to be one!  Even circle mills are mobile or can be made mobile.  Foley-Bellsaw is really the one that started the whole thing.

Manuf. support:  Good support in this market is the standard, not an exception.  I think the products are too personal to tolerate poor support.   

:)One big advantage the swingmills have over other types of mills is the ability to change direction of cut without moving the log.
Say I'm cutting 2" X 6" vertically and get near the center of the log and would be getting spike knots. (Not a good thing in construction lumber)  I can change to 6" x 2" (horizontal) just for the center and then go back to vertical keeping all wood flat grained and spiked knot free.
Likewise If I want to cut verticle grain.  In cutting conifir vertually the whole log can be cut vertical grain and never move the log.  Oak is a little different because of tighter grading standards and wood patterns  but still can be more quarter saw than other mills and not move the log.

If I had a choice of mills, and hang the money, I'd have a 12" swinger w/slabbing attachment, an optional band mill on the other end (I'm working on that) and an trailer mounted MD.  And don't forget the tracked Bobcat for support.  And then some idiot would probably still ask for something I couldn't cut. Oh well.

This has gotten long but I hope it helps

Stevem

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Lucas vs. MD's vs. Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
Yep, I knew there would be a book written around here, some place.  Good job, Steve.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:20:02 PM by Frank Pender »

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Very Well presented Stevem!  Thanks! 

Buzz and I might make a summer project out of making a slabber attachement for a WM :) ................since neither one of us has a swinger or MD. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
Must be a good day to watch the fireplace if you two are that fast in responding. 

I didn't mention that most any blade mills doesn't cut wavy boards.  They can cut tapered boards when on demand (but why?) or the nut pushing them screws up or doesn't sharpen his blade often enough or forgets to lower both ends the same distance, or moves one end of the frame while pulling lumber from the mill.

Just don't ask me how I know that.

Where, physically, is the server located?

Kea, I can't see your picture of spalted maple.  All I get is a big square with a little square with a red X in it.  Any thoughts?

Stevem

Stevem

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:01:30 PM »
Working the gallery as we speak. Should have that fixed shortley! 

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
  • I am not a moderator, I am a meditator
    • www.cliffordrenovations.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »
Steve...GREAT post!! Thats exactly what I was looking to read. Really well done.

It's funny...if money were no object we'd have mills that had all the accoutrement's from hydraulic lifts to debarkers, edgers and planers. chairs where we could sit with drink holders and umbrellas and the console to program all the cuts. Might as well just buy the lumber then....lol.

I've "always" thought that there's something to the struggle. I think what the struggle does is inspires creative craftsmanship and in turn makes the end product something worth passing down through the ages that keeps inspiring people.

Thanks again Steve!

The secret to Zen in just "two" words is, "not always so".
       http://HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »
Now hold on there Andy.  I have a cup holder, a console that is preprogrammed for all my cuts and yes, in the summer I even have an umbrella and just so you think we cut corners around here, I even have a chair that lets me sit while I cut!  No more walking :)   

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
when you add the fork lift kirk is allmost out of touch with milling :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
but lucky for kirk his roots run deep
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 10:44:26 PM »
Now hold on there Andy.  I have a cup holder, a console that is preprogrammed for all my cuts and yes, in the summer I even have an umbrella and just so you think we cut corners around here, I even have a chair that lets me sit while I cut!  No more walking :)   
Next thing yer gonna tell me is you're looking for one of them thar Humdingers...lol

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »
well you cant cut to many corners with out loseing BF yield  haha
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 12:03:58 AM »
But boards with cut corners are "rustic" and worth more!  That's what Frank said.
Stevem

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »
AHHHHHHHHH FRANK THE MARKETER
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
Mike, i cut a partial root ball off of an Oak log, a few days ago, and found that it will make for a great center piece to hold dried wild flowers or even domestice flowers.  Now the trick is to sellit to my wife.  That will be a marvelous success in sales skill, if it works.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
Frank, you have already topped the ladder for sales skills.  To get your wife to say yes to marriage had to be the best sales job ever :D :D ;D ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
Yep! and I got myself a Tree Farm.  She says that she got a Tree Farmer.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
She got more than that!  Probably why she said yes.   ;)

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »
WOW Steve...just read your initial post again being I just got the Lucas packet in the mail the other day. It's like Baskin/Robbins ice cream out there. So many choices within different variables to each. I think the one point you hit is a concern for those that are using a mill to cut construction lumber. Not being able to cut 10" wide boards and up.

The other thing too about the Lucas is that it seems the most portable. the easiest to move around if thats a big factor to the buyer. Although from watching the video, set-up in remote areas seems like it could be a hassle/time consuming. Although under the right conditions pretty simple. All depends.

Seems too that cutting smaller logs are pretty ideal...no? Setting several up in line next to one another. How does that work in the real world in your opinion?

Price seems right.

Also, I suppose if one could afford the slabber attachment it'd be a whole different ballgame with several of the swingers.

Whats the story with Carl Peterson and his 12" inovation? That'd put a company in the up and front running I'd think depending on cost.

I can definetly see why most people opt for the WM though.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
Andy,
As far as setting up in the wilderness, in reality very few folks in the US have to worry about that.  With ATV's, 4WD etc most any milling operation is accessable. 

I was with an Akansas sawyer, AKA Arkansawyer, and he pulled wanda (AKA Woodmizer LT40HDG25) down about 12 miles of winding, creek crossing, mud riddent, rock sliding path in the Ozarks to a beutiful homestead that this woman had cut out for herself.  The old mill never missed a beet. 

As far as construction lumber, very rairly do I cut construction lumber beyond the 2X12 and with a swinger, you can cut that by changing directions and cutting from the others side. I think the peterson can do that easier than the Lucas, but both can do it.  Brand X can as well. 

The cutting of mutliple logs, works great.  They normally cut 2 logs at the shootout.  They pushed together, wedged and the cutting begins.  They say it saves time moving logs, but not sure if that is realy the case since your still moving two logs.  The blade is only working on one log at a time so maybe the time savings is in the fact that your only moving the saw head up/down one time for the two logs versus having to cut one log, put the other one on, then move the saw through the same motions again. 

No word from Carl but HSV has been here regulary watching things. She is the Peterson Marketing person who sent me the email wanting the post removed.  She doesnt log in but she is here regulary. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:07:47 PM by KEA »

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
I have sen photos of multi log set ups for the MD mill.  The site was some place in Georgia, several years ago.  The pictures are in the MD main office building, in Troutdale, Oregon.  What they did was make for a permanent setup and made for a much wider framework for the carrage track to ride on as it moved from left to right sawing the logs.  The logs of course, had to be rather close in diameter sizes.  It was a neat idea, the way they had things arraged. 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 12:34:15 AM »
Andy,

I haul my Lucas in a 1/2 ton old ford beater with a home built wood rack to carry the rails and it works for me.  Room wise it's a load with all I carry.  Gas, chainsaw, chainsaw gas and oil, a big blue cant hook, couple of gallons of water for the saw and various piecies of blocking to level the mill and put logs on.  I've kind of built a "kit" of things I take to a sawing site and it changes depending on what I'm going to be sawing.  Takes me about 30 min unload and set up.
Then the cab carries the tool kit, me, and lunch if I'm hungry.
I have no intentions of ever doing the wheelbarrow thing as shown on the Lucas site. If you haul the saw in that way how you going to get the lumber out?  I much prefer roads and flat ground. 
Flat is better for sawing too.  You need a clear space about the size of four long pickups.  One for the saw/log, one for the lumber, one for the saw dust, and of course one for the pickup. More than one log then you need room for them, close.

I have cut 8/4 x 14" x 12' white oak but the customer was told before hand that I was going to charge double cutting fees for the whole log. You lose a lot of production when you change sawing directions with the Lucas and if the log is less than 24" across where you double cut it's a little dicy worrying about the saw tipping off. And really dicy if the log was less than WELL grounded.   With two people I don't think that would be an issue, but I seldom have a helper.   But I also consider double cutting my wood for my own use in a different catagory than double cutting someone elses wood by the board foot. If you need a lot of 12" boards the available swingers may not be a good choice.     

MD used to show, and may still, their mill transported in the back of a pickup but you'd better have two people. The engine/carriage is not a one man lift. 

Stevem

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
Thanks Steve...Sounds like what I imagined if I had one. Yours is the 7" I assume cuz yer sayin' you can dbl cut a 14" cant....unless the arbor gets in the way in which case you might have the 8". I'm not sure how exact a cut you "really" get with any of them comfortably.
How many people choose the Lucas for a mill with a peminent location at their mill shanty do you think? Think the Lucas is seen more as a portable mill than a fixed on site mill? I don't know why I get that impression.

Also what was your reason for picking the Lucas over the Peterson.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
Mine is the 8" model, and it will cut 8 1/4" times 2.  Cutting the 2" X 14" oak I needed help to get the board off the mill. Oak that size is heavy.

In my opinion the big difference between Lucas and Peterson is the geometry of the raise/lower system.  Lucas uses a system that raises each END verses Peterson raises from side to side.  Lucas makes you walk more (I've lost weight since retirement) but allows you to compensate better for log taper.  Also the Peterson puts the rails on the ground and you have to be more concerned with sawdust build up that fouls the carriage.
Price was a small consideration.
Another factor for me was support,  Baileys, the Lucas fanchise holder in the US, is a lot closer to me and I've got family that's dealt with them for years. So they had good references from people that I know and trust.
And anybody that sells "Kick Ass Pants" is somebody I can relate to.  I've had great service from them and Lucas, have even corresponded Warren Lucas directly on a problem. Hey mate, he sounds like Crocodial Dundee.
All of these saws have there strong and weak points.  My prime concern was the ability to cut any size log!  That makes me special in the market.  For some it's wide boards, big slabs, production or something else.  To a point swingers can do it all, but big logs are their forte.  Lots of mill owners never cut anything over 30" and I just love them at 40".   
Stevem

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
Good point steve about using the two carriage system to your advantage....never thought of that.
Thing is...isn't it pretty time consuming running around to both poles every time you wanna change the height? Seems like a big disadvantage. I donno????
Maybe not THAT bad?
And as far as the Peterson on the floor and saw dust...you could put the log up on blocks and how do you figure the saw dust fouls the carriage...being its up above?
I'm a pain ain't I  ;D  Every forum needs someone like me  :angel:

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 06:26:22 PM »
Yes the walking back and forth takes time.  No argument there.

The Peterson saws fall into to type; Skill Mill and ATS on one side and the WPF and ASM on the other.  The latter two put one or both of the guide rails for the saw trolly on the ground. See their web site.
The ATS and Skill Mill are like the Lucas (or vice versa) where the rails themselves go up and down.  Good catch.  I mostly looked at the WPF model so my mind goes there when thinking about Peterson.
As the sawdust blows off the blade it runs and stops at any constriction in its path like snow.  It builds up at the rails.  Raising the log doesn't get the rails off the ground and looses capability of the size you can cut and some days I just ain't up to lifting 30" logs.  You could raise the rails but then you have to deal with a bigger  bottom slab you can't reach.  The build up is not a problem on one or even 6 logs but without moving the saw it becomes one with both types eventually
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:33:14 PM by Stevem »
Stevem

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
steve...so today I'm reading  through the Timber King catalogue and watching their DVD. I have to say one thing about them. The price with all the hydroulics is enticing. I'm not so sure how much I buy the four post construction argument though. I mean I don't think it hurts but I haven't ever heard any complaints about the WM'ers at all.
 The thing thats not as enticing is that it doesn't seem as portable to me which in all honesty I have no idea right now how important that will be to me.
One thing that I do think about mills like yours and the MD etc is that it seems like you don't have to worry as much about getting heavy logs up onto a raised bed which is something to consider if you don't have the money or man power to get the equiptment to get the logs up there. I guess you trade one thing off for another.
When the time comes I'm gonna really have to make myself a chart of all the mills with their pluses and minuses for my needs and then start with all the add ons and $$$$ to customize it to fit my needs.
So far you've given me some real good things to consider and some nice/fair comparrisons to think about.
 I spose when the time comes..after all my research THE ultimate thing would be to go to a shoot off or whatever they might be having to exhibit all the mills under one tent.
The Arches seem like a must have too...seems it might be a way to get logs up onto a low bed? I donno...Fetching arch is another two grand with all the acutriments....geezzz. Maybe I should learn welding ::)  uhhhhhhh, anything else I should do? loll