alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Wind Power  (Read 8788 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Wind Power
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »
We have 4 different wind power generation operations with test towers in our township and looks like they are finalizing contracts with land owners for putting up 85 meter wind mills. 

I met with the CEO of one of the companies and they are wanting to put two towers on our property. Lots of major issues to cover but if anyone has any input its appreciated. 

The pisser of this deal is that the carbon credits they are going to sell to the coal plants for a profit are not part of the revenue sharing percentage that is paid to the landowners.  >:(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Wind Power
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »
With that last sentence I would require a higher amount per month, based on a cost of living increase each year.  Make sure they have insurance, etc. during instalation and for the duration of the agreement between you and they.

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:12 AM »
Dont forget property taxes on that section of land >:(

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
The contract outlines that they are responsible for any and all property tax increases from its presence.  They are offering a measly 3,4, and 5% revenue share based on megawatts sold on a 1-10, 11-15, and 16-20 year contract and an "estimation" that it would be 6-9K per tower, per year.  Estimates are not good enough! 

Lost of stuff has to be modifed but the headaches this brings to me as township supervisor is enough to squirt blood out my eye sockets. 

I have to establish a wind farm ordinance that basically protects our infastructure from cradle to grave of the operatoin.  Destroyed roads putting them in, crushed tiles from equipment, hazards to farmers needing to fix drain tiles (underground power lines) etc, etc. 

Going to be real interesting.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »
Two of the challanges of wind farms that I'm aware of is bird kill and noise.  Birds just can't seem to see them.

"an 'estimation' that it would be 6-9K per tower, per year" is that dollars or watts?

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
Be ware No telling what Obama has up his sleave  :o After the towers are up and running He might decide to take over the companies And then take the land from the land owners claiming for the better of the state >:( I would be careful

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:59:01 AM »
i heard some grumbling about wind currents changing in kansas were these are alllready in use due to the turbines
not sure what effect this would have on enviroment but need to consider
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
$6-9K in dollars. 

Lots of issues to worry about.  Utilitie companies seem to dominate in the eminate domain catagory so contracts will have to outline that issue but how do you stop the Obama train from taking everything we own? >:(

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »
i woulds make sure they outline EVERTHING in black and white.
Make sure they take all responceablity(sp) for everthing.
watch your step and get a lawyer to help you.
The money looks good.Tell them you will do it for 10Gs
Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
It will prove interesting on the contract negotiations as there are several land owners involved and some have already jumped on with a fraction of what I think they could have gotten.  Bad for them, but at the same time it tends to set a presedence for future landowners.