alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Bar oil alt  (Read 16503 times)

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
Bar oil alt
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Is there any decent bar oil alternatives to the expensive bar oils sold at the saw stores?
"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Bar oil alt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:32:24 PM »
I know several loggers that use old motor oil.  They do have to fill it more often but they sware by it and I know the times I used it in a pinch it worked fine. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »
I mix it half and half old motor oil and bar oil

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:34:25 AM »
might want to filter it first , or be pickey about where you get the used oil
i used double filtered used oil for fuel in my diesel pu mixed 1/2 with new fuel in summer , in winter it gets to thick for a fuel additive
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Grandpa use to use 30w bulk oil but from the bulk oil dealer and what he slavaged draining the last few drops out of a quart cans used for oil changes. I don't even know if bulk oil is still available.  Used to run it in my first car.   
Have heard of adding STP to get the "sticky" effect but how you'd mix it with cold oil I haven't a clue unless u added it to a motor just before you changed it and then drained it out.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »
I use to use the oil from the drip containers of new oil, at a Shell station.  My friend is no longer in business, for the last 30 years, so I buy bulk chain oil.  I last barrel. a ew months ago, from Napa, ran at just $250.  Such a deal.  A whole barrel will last a long time for me, as I do not cut as much firewood and logging as before.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
At our sawmill in Congo we use 75% Palm oil and 25% Old engine oil. It works better than just using old engine oil.
We have to warm up the palm oil before mixing it with the old engine oil.

It is possible to use another kind of vegetable oil instead of palm oil.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
Straight old engine oil doesnt last long!  I too have mixed it with old vegetable oil.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
This is an old post but all this stuff is timeless anyhow. If you can save or get drained automatic transmission fluid or tractor hi-tran fluid they are better than old engine oil as they don't have the bad products of combustion. A little motor honey or STP will tack them up. If you let it sit and settle it will clear up, in a hurry filter it. As an old oil man told me it all comes from the same well. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »
My local chainsaw carver uses vegetable oil in his electric chain saws.  Seems to work for him and doesn't stain the wood.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline terracefarmer

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:22:57 PM »
When we service machines, we save old hydraulic oil and also used gear lube, mix some gear lube in with the hydraulic oil and it makes a great bar lube, usually keep about 100 gallons a year and also use it to oil chains on equipment.   I don't think I've bought bar oil in about a decade or so now.     Old engine oil is really messy and a pain to deal with, clear hydraulic oil seems to work so much better.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 05:56:26 AM »
I use drained hyd. and ATF on my bandsaw bands applied with a wick, keeps them clean and rust free. Frank C.