alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Deer Season came early  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Deer Season came early
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
I spent the rest of the late afternoon yesterday cutting the last of the pine I had on hand into construction lumber.  Then finished the Gum log that was for our Gunstock builder (uses Gum for Templates).

Since it was 90 degrees and humid as all get out, late afternoon was more tolarable.  The challenge with waiting late in the day is you run out of sunlight, which is about 8:30pm. By the time you shower and get cleaned up its 9:00pm.  Dinner was now a trip to town, as my wife also takes advantage of the cooler evening weather to get her gardening done.  Late night dinners are not uncommon around here.

Load up and head to town, only to get 1 mile down the road and find a monster 8 point buck laying in the grass next to the corn.  He had been hit and appeared to have a broken back. 

We are not beyond road kill ;D  We grind deer meet and supliment the cats food with it and since its great food for them, and cheap for us, we snag all we can.

It was all my wife and I could do to hoist this beast into the bed of the truck. One there we turned around and went home and dropped it off, then left again for town. 

Dinner under our belt, grocery store stop, Starbucks completed ;D, then home we came.  By the time I got the forklift in place and hoisted the deer up to start the cleaning process it was 11:00 pm.  An hour later we have about 100lbs of deboned meet in the cooler ready for the grinder!  The cats are going to eat well this month ;D  Pics to follow!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:43:59 AM by Kirk Allen »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Deer Season came early
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »
In Oregon you can't do that.  No wild game in posession without the proper tages and license (unles given by somebody that had the proper paper work)
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
Use to be that way here until a couple years ago.  Now you just have to record the date it was hit and location. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
I almost got one with the gator two days ago.  The blasted thing came off the bank and about landed in the back of the gator.  Scarey!