alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Why are people afraid?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Why are people afraid?
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
I was sent a comment from another board that frankly speaks to the fear some have in a country that is suppose to have free speech and I cant ignore the signal that gets sent by such a comment.  Where it came from and who said it is not the point.  Its the words that should scare the hell out of you because its clear many are fearful of excersing our first ammendmant right.  What is going to happen when they have to use the 2nd ammendmant right if they're afraid to use their first ammendmant right?

The comment was:
If this makes it into the restricted board, I'll answer my thoughts.

What has happen to our american people that they fear answering or responding to questions in public.  What kind of cowards are we dealing with in this country?

Many know and understand, we do not have a "restricted" board for members of any status.  We are all open to post our thoughts right hear without fear! 

I beg of everyone to stand up and be heard, on ANY subject that is dear to your heart.  For me, its this country right now.  I will be heard and will not hide my thoughts or feelings like some coward in a restricted access area of a forum. 

We must speak boldly, seek the truth, and do so without fear!  That is what will get our country back!

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mics_54

• General Contractor
  • Contributor
Re: Why are people afraid?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
I agree for the most part. However, having the right to speak freely does not mean we won't suffer for it when those rights are indeed infringed upon. I think, more precisely, that we must be willing to speak INSPITE of the fear of being persecuted for it.

Earlier this week I sent an email to Geico concerning their recent decision to pull their advertising ads from the Glenn Beck time slot on the Fox Network. I was curious as to their reasoning for it. I thought about it for quite a while and while I thought that Beck being and entertainer and has a shockjock type personality and onair persona, that I needed to understand Geico's motives. the letter I sent was as follows.

Dear Geico, I have been a satisfied customer of Geico for many years. Currently my policy is due for renewal in a couple of weeks. I have recently learned of your apparent political "preferences" regarding the Obama/Glenn Beck/Fox Network news piece where in Mr Beck apparently pointed out some proclivities of the current president to possess certain biases against a large segment of your customer base. To be more enlightened of your intentions I was wondering if you could explain your position in reference to pulling your ads from the Beck segment. I haven't decided if I should follow your lead in removing my account from those businesses with whom I have differences of opinion. Should I presume that you don't want my business because I too feel the president expresses a racial prejudice?

This was their reply.

Please include the following line in all replies.
Tracking number:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you are a policyholder we thank you for being with GEICO and we want to tell you more about this matter.  If you are not, we also want you to learn more.

This week we took action to move our marketing messages from the Glenn Beck show and you are wondering why.

Well, you deserve an answer. 

If the inflammatory nature of the comments on a program overshadows our message and causes GEICO to be drawn into a national debate, we are likely to reconsider where we place our marketing messages, which is what we did.

GEICO delivers very important messages through its major marketing campaigns: we’re saving customers’ dollars … we’re easy to do business with … we’re looking out for our policyholders. That’s what we hope the public hears and sees and focuses on.

As a company, we do not take positions on controversial issues.

As an advertiser, while a national debate on issues can be healthy and appropriate, we don’t see ourselves in the role of taking part in those debates.

Our business is auto insurance. We want to bring people value and we attempt to reach large audiences with that message. 

It is of little benefit to us if a controversy on the program gets so much attention that our message is drowned out.

GEICO Corporate Communications

"Fortune favors the Bold"

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
another way of saying is that we dont want to piss off any paying costumers.
I dont care what schools call it it is still a CHRISTMAS TREE!!!

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Mics_54,

Sounds like Geico is in for a wake up call just like AARP.  That group lost over 60K members and even though they claim new signups makes them flush the message being sent is clear. 

If Geico was my insurance company I would drop them like a fly for not understanding business and more importantly crumbling to the pressures from leftist groups managed by people in this administration.

If I could advertise on a show that surpassed all others in viewers, and the show was presenting undisputable facts of any kind, only a fool would not want their name out there. 

Geico, like many others have crumbled under the pressure and like those that are afraid to post publicly, they run and hide. 

Sure there are reprocutions to speaking out but its the right thing to do.  No one said life was easy and being silent only makes it harder.  I wish more people understood that. :(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!