alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Lathe work.....Natural Edge bowls  (Read 4544 times)

Offline adk patroller

  • Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 63
  • Topics: 10
  • Referrals: 0
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
Lathe work.....Natural Edge bowls
« on: December 26, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »
I am starting to get pretty serious about lathe work. I have started turning natural edge bowls and have placed an order for a Robust American Beauty.  Can't wait to get it. Been waiting for my 14" bandsaw for a month and just found out it won't ship for another month!  I hate backorders, but the price I paid makes it worth the wait, I guess ???

It is getting pretty trying roughing blanks to fit on my 10" midi-lathe with a chainsaw or table saw.

At the same time I have convinced the lovely Marcia that we don't need 2800+ sqft for two adults and two old dogs.....so we are looking for something smaller outside the village with a shop or room for one.

Anyone else turning natural edge bowls? Anyone interested in swapping spalted maple, black cherry, yellow birch, or beech bowl blanks for blanks of your own local species?
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline mike p

  • Senior Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 931
  • Topics: 148
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lathe work.....Natural Edge bowls
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
so hows the turning going
what do you do for drying
i read somewere to rough turn & submerge in dishwashing soap over night then finish turning
but i havnt tryed it yet , any one tryed this
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

   Thomas Jefferson

Offline SDB777

  • Senior Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 335
  • Topics: 68
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lathe work.....Natural Edge bowls
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
Roughing out the shape for my 'green turning', soak in DNA for 24hrs, remove and store in a brown bag for a couple of weeks and then finish.  Works almost 95% of the time.  The other 5% results in severe cracking...just can't determine when it's going to happen or on what piece.

Which bandsaw is being backordered on you?
Had my eye on the Griz0555, but shipping sounds like a PITA?  Pay for shipping, then have to pay someone else to bring it to the house...nah, don't think so?  Might go with the Craftsman 14" 1HP....don't know?



Scott (good luck on your backorder) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline adk patroller

  • Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 63
  • Topics: 10
  • Referrals: 0
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
Re: Lathe work.....Natural Edge bowls
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
Well the turning has been pretty slow. The JEt bandsaw finally arrived in February. We found a house and purchased it in March. 30' x 40' heated workshop with 13 foot ceilings and a second story finshed man cave. Since moving I have only turned two barrel style bases for carvings several live egde bowls and a lathe chisel handle. Trying to keep two houses afloat(haven't sold the old one yet). Logging is busy and my REAL job has also picked up considerably.  Oh and my three college students are home for the summer and my wife and I are convinced that they are trying to kill us with stress! :laugh:  They must have seen the life insurance policies while we were moving!?!? Little do they know that the mortgages will take car of that along with the remaining 7 years of college tuition ::).( 2 sophmores and a senior).

I prefer to turn thin live edge bowls which dry quickly.
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale