alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Oversized Wood Mizer type band Mill.  (Read 48228 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Oversized Wood Mizer type band Mill.
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »
 We built this mill, and it performs as well as a WoodMizer.
  It can produce 36" wide Table Slabs.
  It will cut 16' + logs. Fully Electric and Hydraulic controlled.
  24 HP Honda Engine
  100 ? Amp External Alternator.
  Hydraulic Log Loader.
  Hydraulic Log Stops.
  Hydraulic Toe Rollers-levelers.
  Electric Forward-reverse.
  Electric up-down.
  Electric movable blade guide.
  Electric-Hydraulic Log clamp. Can also be used to position logs and help turn them. 
  Highway towable.
  Can Demo but, buyer will need to buy 2 batteries, maybe ??  How serious are you ??  ::) ::) ::)
  Recently gone over and new parts and electric motors where needed.
  Approx 40+ Blades. Some well used, others plenty of sharpens left.
  No Sharpener or Setter
  Exclusively use Munksforsager 1¼"-1½" Blades, bought in North Ga. from Kennesaw.  Price is right, too.
  Photos on other Bandsaw mills board in the beginning of this forum.

Price $10,000.00 or partial trade for GOOD late model pickup, + some moolah.  ::) ;D

Offline papagator

• New Contributor
Re: Oversized Wood Mizer type band Mill.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »
where is this mill located?

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »
Its in Florida but not sure what part.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline POC

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:25 PM »
Dry part.  ;)

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »

East of Orlando, on the coast. Vero Beach-Sebastian.

Will help deliver up to 100 miles, if needed.  :)

Offline Mattgbank

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Do you still have the mill for sale?

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
I am pretty sure he does!  He should respond in a few days.  Since he is in Costa Rica it might take him a few to get back to you.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

Boy am I embarrassed.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  Don't know HOW I missed this question.

Yes, the mill is still available. If you are still interested PM me, for any questions or photos.

I would love to have the mill down here, (CR), but, shipping has gone through the roof.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
See,  you shouldn't ignore us. :P
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »

Not ignoring. Just so busy, that I quick scan for new posts, and just blew right past this one.

This being retired is for the birds. I may have to retire again, to see if it gets any easier the second time around.  ::) ::)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Iam thinking the same thing, Harold. :'(

Offline Mattgbank

• New Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »
Thanks,
Email sent.

Offline Sawmilllawyer

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Just curious if the mill is still for sale or if it has been sold? Thanks. Andy.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »

The mill is still for sale. If it doesn't sell soon, I may have the Honda 24HP engine shipped down here, to put on my new build bandmill.

Offline michael ronquillo

• New Contributor
  • i do not have any pictures uploaded yet
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
i have some beautiful sinker for sale and would like some advice on how to sell it and how much should i sell it for?any advice would be appreciated.  thanks mike.

• New Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
also i am new here so i would like to say hello to everyone and hope things are going well for ya'll :)

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »

First thing, where are you located ?? I'm finding more and more people will not put there state-country in their profile ?????????

By reading y'all, I'm assuming you are in the south of the USA ?????????

Welcome to the forum.

My son and I did 4 years of sinker log salvage and sawing. You have to get very creative to sell that wood.

Is it logs ?? Is it sawn ?? Is it dried ??

More info can get more info.  ;D ;D

• New Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »
hi harold i am located in dulac louisiana  and i have logs and green cut lumber clearfaced and also have a bunch of air dried pecky and no1 and no 2 cypress. it was late when i found the site last night and i am not a computer whiz :). i have read through the site and it seems like you are the man to go to get the answers from ;D. thank you for answering .... mike

• New Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
i also want to say i am glad to hace found this site and i thank ya'll for the friendly atmosphere and warm welcome :).

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Man to go to, EH ???  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Naah, I'm just retired 1 time. Some of these guys are not and some are retired twice.  :laugh: :laugh: They all have to work harder than I do.  ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have done the Sinker logs-lumber market, so, I can tell you what I did.

Spruce up your computer skills, or, ask some kid to help you build a website.  ::) ::) THAT will get you some interest going.

I did newspaper ads, and sold some ( many) 3" thick, live edge, table slabs. The mill that is for sale, was built for the 36" wide table slab market. We sold quite a bit of 2" stuff, to be used for the table legs and frame. 1" was more difficult to sell, to get the better prices.

A LOT of people don't equate the age of the logs, to the beauty that comes from the stained water the logs were laying in-under, for well over 100 years or so.

I finally found a market for several Mbd/ft in Charleston, South Carolina. We didn't have a kiln, so, once the wood started drying, we would stack it up in the attic of our house, spread out, of course. That would get us into the under 10% moisture range. I delivered several 1 ton pickup loads to a company that did remodeling of those old plantation era houses and hotels and such. They were VERY happy to find a supply of the midnight-chocolate solid cypress.  That was about all 1X lumber.

The Pecky, I was fortunate to stumble upon buyers right near where we lived, in Florida. They bought every bit of Pecky we could find, or buy, and mark up a little.

We found that the uglier the log, the more we could charge.  >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh:

You may take some time to establish a market, but, once you do, you could be very busy. Just need the economy to pick up.

Let me try a few photos.

• New Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
hi harold thanks for the input and i sure appreciate it  the sinker that i cut so far is one log that produced ~800 bft of cypress that was a bit more  colorful than the ones you had shown in the pictures except the pecky one i have not found any pecky like that yet. i did make the mistake of cutting all but 1- 2 inch slab in 1 inch boards. they range from 25 inches wide to 6-8 inches wide and around 9-11 feet long. the rest of the logs we are stockpiling and leaving it in the water till we can make sure i can sell it. about how much per foot should i ask for it? my mom is from appalachicola florida and i had been hearing about the sinker for years from family over there so when i found some over here ;D i knew what it was and that it was rare and valuable so i started going get them. i also have a friend that has a sawmill but i do not believe that we can get much more than 30 inch slabs out of it and he is the one with all the pecky wood. he has access to quite a bit of sinker too so i am going to talk with him some more and set up that site and take you up on your suggestions. i think i can set up a site on my own but want to make sure i am not getting in over my head before i do. i sure wish i had the money to buy that mill from you i could be there in 14-16 hrs with stops on the way (i have family stretched out along the coast).take care and again thanks for the advice it is surely appreciated.  mike :)

• New Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
i made a mistake on the time it would take me to get there probably by about 6 hrs ::). i sure wish i had the pictures uploaded to show you but when i do upload them i will post them on the site. i sell a few of them logs i just might be headed that way to get that mill if you still have it by then ;D.  take care. mike

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
 When the economy was good, we sold those crooked slabs for $350.00 each. Never found any more of that type logs.  
 Price is negotiable.  ;D ;D ;D

• New Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
thanks harold and i talked with the guy i am working with on this project last night.now i have an idea on the prices to post on the regular and sinker cypress also the pecky :) i have a good bit of sinker still in the water and a bunch more to go get. i just have to get some bigger equipment together so that i can even budge some of these logs i have to pick up and tow home.one log is about 7-8 feet wide by 4-5 feet high by 40 feet long so you know what i am dealing with.i can't wait to see what some of them big boys are going to look like cut. ;D.take care and thanks for the advice ;D ;D :)   mike

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
 We had to do permits and such, in Florida. Built a special boat to raise and carry the logs. Had a 12000 pound Warn electric winch on a rolling carriage. Pull the log(s) from the center of the boat, then stored (carry) them equally balanced under the boat. Worked better than a barge. had 2-40HP Yamamas on it. Could actually plane the thing, going out to look for logs.  ;D ;D ;D

Couple of photos. We heard about a few 8' across logs, but, we were NOT allowed to take them. Them are Historical.

Built a special trailer to haul the logs. Could back it up right to the water and use a special arch I built, with a winch cable and snatch block, to set the logs on the tail end, then winch them up and onto the trailer, 3 logs high, if needed. All our hauling was with 1 ton Dually pickups.

Got lots more photos if they could help you.  Might even try begging a trip to visit y'all.  ;) ;D ;D Haven't been to Louisiana since Fort Polk, in '66.  ::) ::)

That logging was some of the BEST work we ever did, being on the water and all. Had to constantly figure out things and change plans and ideas, to get some of those logs.  Had a guy spotting logs as he worked on the river. Then, he would load us in his air boat and we would go flying out to see what and where they were. YUP, flying in an air BOAT.  :o :o :o  :laugh: :laugh:  Guy was crazy in a good way.

Got more ideas on breaking loose and raising logs, also. Do you have enough depth to use an airlift or a water jet ??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:08:07 PM by HaroldCR »