alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Oversized Wood Mizer type band Mill.  (Read 49037 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Oversized Wood Mizer type band Mill.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
We used a stainless probe and injected compressed air from a high breasure breathing tank (4500 psi) and could loosen glacure silt enough to get people out when they got stuck.

LOTS of people die on the flats in Alaska as they get stuck in the silt and it locks them in like cement.  Then the tide comes in and they drown.  They worked a stuck victem for 6 hours and never got him out.  He was only stuck up to his knees!  He drowned after hypothermia set in.  He breathed through a hose for 2 hours before finally failing.  Sickest thing ever!

I bet the same principal would work with logs.  Stick the probe under the log and let the compressed air loosen everything up! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »

Exactly, Kirk. Sometimes the bottom is so packed, it's difficult to push anything under the logs. A common shop compressor, mounted in the boat, would do the same thing, I would imagine. You know what an airlift is ??

Offline michael ronquillo

• New Contributor
  • i do not have any pictures uploaded yet
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
wow harold that is a nice rig up you got. i actually am pretty lucky on how i am getting these logs no diving. the army corp of engineers is building some floodgates where i live and my older brother is running a tug on the job and they are pulling the logs out from under the mud for us and making it easy for us to get to.we are using a 55 foot shrimp boat to winch them with and tow them in with soon to be 2 of them. we have a lot on the bayou side and it has a huge oak tree on it to hook a winch to and winch them up to the mill with. we have only milled one log so far and we just got started so it will be a month or 2 before we get into the swing of things. you might want to wait until the shrimping season opens next month and we could bring you shrimping and fishing as well we would be glad to have your company.i had thought about using a water jet this morning and it would work well. where we are working is shallow and hard sandy bottom in fact we broke the tiller on the rudder and have to get one made.i was thinking about making something like you have out of plywood and reinforce it with fiberglass. take care and any picture you want to put up i would be interested in looking at them. thank you for the advice and would welcome any you have to give.   mike

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
 Thanks for the invite, Mike.

If things don't pick up, economy wise, I will not be able to visit. I don't have a vehicle, in Florida, where my family lives. Would have to see how things go.  Need to stock up on sea sick pills.  I love being on the ocean, but, it doesn't like me.  ::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :laugh:

Y'all are CHEATING. It's not supposed to be that easy.  >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh:

I will certainly stay in touch. hm in cr at g mail will get to me. Send me an email and we can stay better connected. I will send more photos, also

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »
Air lift would work I would think by attaching it to a set of tongs provided the log wasnt to packed in the mud.

If you think compressor shop air works try a 45000psi air tank!  It can cut holes through your skin if your not carfull. 

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35:04 AM »
 Kirk, is that 45 000  or 45 00 ???  We used scuba tanks, 3250 PSI to fill the round boat fenders, used as lift bags, for lifting cannons, and such, treasure diving on Spanish wreck sites. Had several for trying on logs, but, never had the open space in the narrow rivers, to use them, without boats running over them, if the log lifted overnight.

Airlift needs a decent depth of water, to get enough OOMPH to pull the sand and debris up the tube. The tube is only attached to the airline, which enters near the very bottom end of the tube, so the rushing-expanding air creates a suction as it rises. We had a 6" and an 8" when working the Bahamas wreck site. When a Conch shell goes up the 8" tube, and falls back, it hits the hard hat diving helmet, OR, hits a shoulder. It CAN hurt. Also, if you let the tube get away, it will start digging to China. It's hell getting the valve turned off, when trying to fight the lift, the weight of the tube, and sliding around in the loose sand you are breaking loose.

I LOVE working in the water. Keeps you thinking, so you don't get screwed up. That log diving was in coffee stained water. Couldn't see past your hand, or even not that far, sometimes.

I'm hoping to get a chance to visit the guys operation. Another chapter in my adventure novel.  ;D ;D ;D

With the current price of gold, when are you headed off to Haines ???  I could do a visit up there, also.  I gots 'sperense gold getting, even dredging.  >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:44:20 AM by HaroldCR »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
4500  - my bad

Haines on hold until after the revolution >:(

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »

I can visit for THAT, also.  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »
Were ready, just get here!