alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Cooks Cat Claw Sharpner  (Read 12378 times)

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpner
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
Thinking about buying the equipment to sharpen my blades  Looks like a pretty good deal on the cooks cat claw. any thoughts

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Cooks Cat Claw Sharpner
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
Find out if it can use the CBN wheel from Wood mizer.  Profiling the stone on the standard machines is a HUGE pain in the butt.  The CBN wheel solves all those headaches becuase it grinds the actual profile all at once. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
Do you need a different wheel for each blade I have 7  9  and 10 degree blades  and is the tooth setter necessary

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »
Yes if your going with the CBN.  Trust me, there expensive but so worth the money! 

If you use regular stones you will have to profile each time you swap blades, as well as adjust the angle of the grinding machine. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:08:45 PM »
I have never used a CBN grinder. Years ago I bought a cats claw and I'am well pleased, it is a very versatile machine especially for me as I will sharpen for hire. The blue and ruby ceramic wheels sold by Cooks seem to last forever and dressing is no chore especially if you use a diamond dresser. basically you just radius the sharp corners more so on the right side. I set hook angle at 6 degrees  use the same wheel profile and the same cam for everything even customers, never had one complaint. If your teeth are set right and tooth tips are sharp the band will cut. It would sure be easier to build a sharpener using a CBN wheel. Frank C.