alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: infeed log table  (Read 9868 times)

Offline snakeknuckles

• New Contributor
infeed log table
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
I have been slowly reviving an old Frick00 and making a permanent installation at my farm. The saw is under shed (sawn by the mill) and sits on a step between two fields nestled into a stone retaining wall. It looks pretty sweet if I do say so myself. I have been working with the local sawyer gurus trying to learn how to make it perform as good it looks. One of the things I did which seems to work real nice is I got an old grain elevator to use in place of the conventional sawdust drag. Now I am looking to make an infeed table so that I don't have drop the logs directly on the carriage. I am thinking about a hydraulic parallelagram out of channel steel. Anybody have any ideas?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: infeed log table
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
If you cant figure out the pic let me know and I will take another one of it from different angles. 

Basically built from 2" steel pipe with a base plate that a hydraulic ram is hooked to.  The base plate is the anchore for the leverage.  Envision a log sitting on the right side of the posts in the pic. It would be rolling on to the log deck, or carrage. Lower the hydraulic ram and those vertical posts drop back horizontal at ground level and you roll the log onto them and they hit the flat steal plates attached to each one that keeps the log in place.  The bottom is nothing than 1 long 2" pipe that the vertical peices are welded to.  If you look close at the bottom left corner you can see the base plate that the hydraulics ram attaches to. (ram not shown)

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: infeed log table
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:25 AM »
Knuckles, unless your going into production a simple dead deck would serve you proper. The dead deck is simply two or more beams the same hight as your carriage knees. The logs are simply rolled on the carriage. Whats important is a hinged or removable piece so you have free access to walk between the deck and carriage. The exposed ends of the deck are handy to store boards needing edging. A live deck has a chain and usually devices to load logs on the carriage, which is well and good if you do a lot of milling but remember simple is good. Frank C.