alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Arrows  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Arrows
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
Got a call from a guy the other day looking for tight ring (15+ per inch) D. fir
Got with him and talked a little.  Port orford cedar has been the wood of choice but it's getting so rare that they've gone to fir

He makes traditional wooden arrows out of d fir.  Has developed a world wide market and now has run out of stock to make the arrows and is looking all over the place.  Is turning down requests for dealerships for lack of stock.

http://www.surewoodshafts.com/

Quite a little operation.  It's just he and two other guys.  He designed the machines that sizes them and test them for "spine" strength, if that the right word.  It's how stiff the arrow is to match the size of the  bow in pounds pull.

He said that 80% of the tree goes out in scrape with a 20% usable wood.  Asked me to keep a look out for wood for him. 

He can't use cut boards because the arrow stock has to follow the grain.  He splits all his wood into to like shake bolts but 36" long.  So this is a great place to sell short pieces instead of making fire wood.  Then saws them to thickness on a little ground mount band mill from Linn Lumber.

Thinking of Kirk I asked him if he'd like to handle Osage Orange bow blanks on the side but he passed on the idea.  Want's to concentrate on arrows.  Did offer contacts if Kirk were interested.

He said he discovered that he can't use fir from our (Oregon) coast range for his arrows.  Their too weak.  The winters are too mild to really define the winter wood from the summer.  And generally the growth is too fast.

He designed all the machines to make and test the arrows. Cutoff saw, sander and bend tester.  And uses a "DH kiln" to dry the finnished stock.  It's an insulatated room with a Sears dehumidifer sitting on the floor.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
So, have you found him any wood?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Arrows
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:12:26 AM »
I did and I didn't.

I bought two "utility grade" logs from the local mill and sold him half of each at my cost plus the haul. 
We spent three or four days cutting 3' blocks off and splitting them into bolts. 

He's spent the last two weeks cutting them into "boards" for use as arrows and has kept very meticulus records on yield.  The end conclusion for him is that  that grade of log has too low of yield for the amount of work invested even if the price is right.  He has offered to share the data with my for my own benifit.  Might convince me to not buy low grade logs unless they are really, really cheap. 

So even though I've made a friend (I did half of the splitting) he's looking for better wood like #1 or 2 peelers or #1 saw logs at $1000+/m. Any defect or grain distortion is a loss for him.  I think so far that it has been a good learning experience for me.  I don't feel it is a dead end event.  I gained learning, got some much needed fire wood for free and some pretty cheap logs to saw for myself.  Next! 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!