alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: what is a beam worth  (Read 10117 times)

Offline camastown

• Contributor
what is a beam worth
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:33 PM »
I just cut a beam today with my turner band sawmill today. It is 6"x16"x31ft long. What is this beam worth? I cut it out of doug fir. Does custom length of this beam make it worth more?
The see thru man

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
Re: what is a beam worth
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »
I dont know what doug fir gos for but when I saw oak beams for people out here I charge .20 a bf extra  248 bf x .50 = 124.00  If its my logs price gos to 1.50 bf making it 372.00 I have sawn 26' with my woodmizer  IMO the longer the beam the more value

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »
I just cut a beam today with my turner band sawmill today. It is 6"x16"x31ft long. What is this beam worth? I cut it out of Doug fir. Does custom length of this beam make it worth more?
Somewhat depends on your local market.

Anything over 16' is a premium, over 20' another premium.  Anything over 8" wide is a premium.  Anything over 12" wide is another premium.  Custom lengths are always a premium unless your trying to get rid of shorts.
I charge double sawing price for any cut over 8" but then I have a Lucas and it takes twice the work to do it.

Current prices being paid at the mill are around $550/m for D.fir (which means for dimension lumber the mill is paying about $275/m for raw material)

Try this and see what you think:  Check with Lows or Home Depot for a base price for commodity lumber.  Double that price and then start adding 10% for each premium less one item,

Maybe we can get Frank in on this, he smells  ::) more of this stuff than I do
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline camastown

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
i have a customer from my glass biz that wanted me to fix a broken window in a window. This was a custom cabin on vacation property and had large doug fir beams.He has a covered driveway area.  The length was just under 30' x 20 wide. I think he had 8x8 posts and 8x16 beams. he had just under 15  beams total. he paid 11,000 bucks. man I wish he knew I had a sawmill, he knows now!
The see thru man

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
I get a premium for anything over 16' and a LOT more for over 20' just like Steve mentioned.

The key for me is availability!  Not many people in this area with a mill that can cut the long stuff, and cut it right!

I have sold 10x10x20' white oaks for $2.75bf my log or $.75 bf their log, which is $.40 more than my normal cut rate but I charge more for the handling and the extra time it takes moving them on and off the mill. 

For a couple timber framers to get the same piece they are paying $4.00bf from a mill in northern Ohio, so they also have to add trucking fees so I am a steel in their minds!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline camastown

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
I may have got lucky, but it came out nice and straight. I can do 32 feet now with my newly acquired 5' extension . I wanted to try to cut this beam 32ft but the we rolled this monster onto the deck by hand and it landed a little off so I just sawed a foot off the log instead of trying to scoot it down, the customer only needed it to be 30'. I really wanted the challenge.Oh well
The see thru man

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
So did you make some good money on it?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline camastown

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
bartering a air handeler( electric heater) for one of my rentals
The see thru man