alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Saying "HI"  (Read 14027 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Saying "HI"
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
Was actually just cruising around the internet looking for information on chainsaw mills...came to this site and looked around.  Pretty nice place, no bashing going on, so I decided to sign-up and hopefully learn something along the way.  I might be able to offer some advise about selling your fine boards, considering I've been buying stuff that doesn't look half as good as the photo's I've seen posted!

I've read every post in the bandsaw mill section, and some of ya'll have some really nice set-ups!  Way to much $$ for me to invest at this point/time of my life, but it's something to dream about.  That and I live in town on a small .45acre piece of ground.....don't make me move.

The chainsaw mill and my Stihl 360 with 28" ripping chain will have to do for now.  Wanting to basically get away from purchasing wood at outrageous prices to turn on my lathe.  While it'll be much slower to cut useable dimensional wood, and a LOT of waste per log...it'll have to do.

I'll be posting this in a moment and continuing my reading here.

Scott (smell of fresh cut wood is wonderful) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Saying "HI"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
Welcome to the site Scott. 

Where are you located?

I know the small acre peice of ground issue.  Been their done that.  I think I got some pics somehwere of logs in my front yard next to the mill. Definatly generates some interesting comments from the Suburbanites. 

Moving to the farm was the best thing that ever happen to me.......next to meeting my wife!  ;D

I got a mill for the same reason you mention!  My passion of woodworking was costing way to much.  Lumber in the box stores is mostly junk and way to expensive!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
Oops!  Hadn't thought about updating Profile Info....

Cabot, AR is where I hang my hat.  Grew up in Maine, military moved me here and I hate shovelling snow....so I stayed!

Scott (okay, my wife won't let me move back there) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »
WOW.  SMALL WORLD!

I had my mill in Cabot for about three weeks a year or so ago.  We cleaned up a bunch of tornado logs and cut a bunch near Antioch just up 67 from you and to the west. 

Never stationed at Little Rock but flew through there many times. 

I get through Cabot at least 3-4 times a year while on business.  I stay with my buddy up in Antioch.  He's a retired Flight Engineer on the 130. 

I still have some wood in a barn down there from that cutting...........assuming no one stole it  ;D

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
Welcome to the club!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline redbeard

• Whidbey Woodworks & Custom Milling
  • New Contributor
  • Cutting logs & woodworking
    • whidbey woodworks & custom milling
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
Hello everyone! I'am from Oak Harbor WA. on Whidbey Island. Got the fever and been milling logs, starting my 6th year now, sell a few boards but mostly build with what I cut.I have read alot of your postings and lots of good info. I'am still learning and hope to learn some more from you folks.There are some pics in my gallery show you what i been doing ( if i did it right kind of new to internet too!)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
I looked and looked and can't find any pictures that you posted? 

Maybe Kirk can find them
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline redbeard

• New Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
thought i did it right i will try again! :-[

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:33:59 AM »
Welcome!  Always nice to have another Northwesterner joining in the conversation.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
I found your pics but it looks like you have sub-galleries to your main gallery, or at least thats the best I can figure because your main gallery shows no images yet you have a sub catagories, of which each picture you uploaded is one catagory.

If you go to your main gallery and scroll down to the bottom you will see a Bulk Upload link.  Using that will put your pics in you main gallery.  That way you can click on them which brings them back to larger size instead of thumbnail size, which is what the pic I grabbed is. 

This is the link to the photos you uploaded. 
http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=215

By the way, VERY nice operation! I suspect you will be teaching all of us a few tricks! 

Offline redbeard

• New Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
Still having problems wont load pics says exceeds file size, most of my pics are cell phone, same thing with bulk loader. Any way i will try again another night if anyone is curious of pics picasa and photobucket have them search redbeard64. I like how the gallery is set up gives me chance to organize and show steps of my projects and stuff.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18:27 AM »
Kirk will be better at answering the photo questions on uploading and such.  But I can tell you the file size should be right around 30Kb, you'll probably need to get you photo's re-sized(either online resizing or get a program downloaded).  Think, if I remember correctly 400 x 400 pixels will get you really close....

Hopefully your not running Windows Vista....having terrible times finding programs to re-size my photo's that work with this operating system(Vista sucks).  The one's I found/tried make the photo's look really bad....I mean REALLY bad!

Welcome aboard too!!!

Scott (and I'm a photo posting fool too) B

Offline redbeard

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
I have been trying to figure it out, :P I get computer fustrated real easy >:( and yes i have vista thats been a real pain when it comes to imaging,  :-\I will figure it out soon, anyway got family feeds all weekend and maybe get a order finished.

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »
Welcome Redbeard  Dont feel bad I had hair when I tried to upload pics on here Now I'm bald :o and still cant do it  ??? I to have vista